any Jaws users in the forum ?

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by tim68, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    hello

my brother is partially sighted and uses software called Jaws (version 17, was on 10 using windows 7) now his old PC not working anymore so was forced to change his system.

he has not used Windows 10 before so I am trying to help him as much as I can with that but I know nothing about this Jaws software.

as far as I can tell from what he is telling me the program behaves a little differently from what he is used to on his old pc, on the old pc he navigates around websites just using the up/down keys and that would scroll between the links on a page then reads back what they are, but it doesn't seem to be doing that, it could be a simple setting in Jaws I have missed but I really don't know

any help with this is gratefully appreciated

thanks very much

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    I'm not familiar with it, but unless it comes with it's own web browser I would suspect that to be the issue. It might be worth trying Internet Explorer instead of the default Microsoft Edge if that's what he used before.

3. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    thanks mate

I'll double check on that but as far as I know it just reads back whatever is active on the screen, he bought the laptop from the RNIB and they have set up windows and installed everything on it, they installed firefox and chrome as well as IE and Edge with Windows, it's the same problem with all the browsers