Any issues with the Panasonic TH42PZ70B before i buy?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by shyam152007, Jan 20, 2008.

1. shyam152007

shyam152007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

After buying and returning 6 LCD tvs ranging from 20" - 46" from well known brands, due to issues such as clouding, banding, motion blur, inaccurate black levels, dead pixels, jaggies - which plagued each and every one of the sets that i purchased, I'm now looking to buy a plasma as i've heard and seen that a good plasma does not suffer from the problems that have been prevalent in the LCDs that i have purchased.

The Plasma which i am interested in is the Panasonic TH42PZ7B, but before i purchase it, there are a few queries i have about this set.

Firstly - because it doesnt have HDMI 1.3, will it be able to display all 67.8 billion colours that the specs of the tv indicate can be displayed, from a source such as the PS3, or will it be limited to far less because the tv only has HDMI 1.2 inputs.

Secondly - For those of you who currently own the tv and a games console such as the PS3 or the xbox 360; do you see any jaggies when playing games?

Finally - Are there any issues with this tv that may make me regret purchasing this tv?

Thanks

2. Ivor_Biggern

Ivor_Biggern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Ive had the 42PZ70 for just over a week now and i`ll give you my own honset opinions on the tv, i don`t play games on mine so i can`t help you with that part.

Pros:

The picture quality is simply stunning, this is my first plasma and the difference from an LCD set is immense. Everything seems far more realistic, the colours are very vibrant and deep. Skin tones on people feel very lifelike which makes watching things like films a good experience.

For a big television i was pleasently surpised that their was no buzzing sounds and no fan noise whatsoever, its as quiet as a mouse which is another big plus.

The sound was also a pleasent suprise, the PZ700 obviously has the better speaker set up but you pay a premium for that and for £500 less ive found the 42PZ70`s standard sound very good.

The PZ70 handles sport in a superb way, i watch a lot of rugby league, football and motorsport especially rallying and the way this set handles motion is again brilliant.

The design is great, i like the PZ70 with the speakers at the side which are very neat and discreet, some prefer the narrower PX range with the speakers underneath but thats down to personal preference.

Cons:

Lack of fine detail controls in the picture menus, the PZ and PX range have a very basic set of menu controls. Panasonic need to put some numbers on the setting controls as its just a slider that doesn`t give you any indication of percentage so you can pass on your settings to other people.

A very minor issue here, you get a black shadow under the top bezel and under bright lighting ive noticed this on the screen, to be fair though that was only on one occasion which was a recent snooker highlights programme where i noticed a long 1cm line on the crowd shots. This could be more to do with the bright lighting that i have in my room which exagerated the shadow to a deeper black.

Conclusion:

The tv gives off a truely stunning picture and i have been made up with my 42PZ70, it makes watching films and sport a real pleasure and i`m glad i made the jump from an LCD to a plasma. Its motion handling is excellent, its basically a more lifelike experience watching things on a plasma compared with an LCD. The issues above are only minor, you will get minor issues with virtually any television set as people aim for near perfection.

At the price its an excellent buy and i know i made the right choice with the 42PZ70. :smashin:

3. SlartieB

SlartieB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am new to this Forum, but, the Panny / PS3 combo is awesome, I have noticed no jaggies, colour is crisp and sound is good too. So a BIG :thumbsup: for this set.

I was worried about clouding, jaggies, artifact noise etc etc but nothing to speak of, even on UK TV History, the picture was acceptable when showing old black and white footage. I can not rave about this TV enough, i just love it!

4. imranuk

imranuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree with these guys, I have been highly impressed with 42PZ70 only thing to moan about is the menus are very basic and only 2xhdmi.

5. Damien

Damien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    It is worth reading the main thread.

I have the 42PZ70 and PS3, it is.........BRILLIANT IMHO.

Bluray, very good and i am also pleased with SKY SD.

The only gripe i had is that on some channel you can get a kink in the black line along the bottom where the picture fiinishes, some people have reported this at the top to. I use Picture overscan and it sorts the problem.

Speakers are said to be crap in comparison to the PZ700 but i am very pleased with them, much better than my 26" LCD.

Buy one you wont regret it.

D

6. therealgiblet

therealgiblet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Not being rude but if it couldn't display 67.8 billion colours and say only displayed 1 billion colours would you actually notice?

The reason I ask is I'm colour blind and have troubles seeing reds and browns... yeah snooker messes me right up - especially if I'm playing against a sneaky opponent.... :)