1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any issues taking UK tv to Australia?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by klee, Jun 25, 2004.

1. klee

klee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, some advise urgently needed. I have the original Toshiba picture frame 36" widescreen (36ZP series) tv - will I have any issues with picture geometry etc when watching the following:

- free to air
    - dvd

when using it in Australia? I am moving to oz and am already organising transport of other household items so cost isn't a concern at this point. More interested in feedback on actual technical/visual issues I will face. Any ideas/advise very very much appreciated - if there are problems is it that bad? Is it still worth carting it across to oz?

KLee

2. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couple of points....
    Won't the picture be upside down?
    Do they have electricity in Australia?
    Can an Australian 'operate' a TV?

Answers on a postcard.....

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I would get a quote for shipping and insurance. I would doubt if it would be worth the trouble but compare the cost of shipping to buying one in Oz.

4. klee

klee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am actually moving to oz so really transport cost isn't too much of an issue since I've to transport other things as well. Have checked and definitely cheaper to keep this one I have. So back to the orig concern, would I be facing any technical / visual setbacks when I hook it all up in oz and switch it on? These things I hear about the tv down there being tuned to southern magnetic fields etc etc - is this all marketing or really has some visually affect on the tv's picture geometry? Your feedback and advise much appreciated guys.

5. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Klee
    You need to consider if you want HDTV? If so then buy a new one when you get to OZ that will accept hi-def signals :thumbsup:

6. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might also have trouble with receiving sound if you are using analog transmissions as, though it is pal, the sound system is slighty different (I think). I know this is the case in Europe, every country though using pal has differnent sound channels.

7. klee

klee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'll consider HDTV only for when I'm ready to get a projector for the full big screen movie experience - this is where the extra pixels will be put to better use. Until then the pictures on the generations of 36" tvs since the Picture Frame tosh came out is good enough to eat. DVD playback is way below High Definition's anyway so its only Australian digital-free-to-air that is HD at the moment. [And perhaps also Australian pay tv channels - I'm not sure] Besides, to get digital-free-to-air or paytv I'll have to purchase a set-top-box which should allow standard and high definition playback anyway right? (And this in itself might make the argument of will the tv work moot 'cos I'm by passing the tv's tuners?)

But IF I NEED TO USE the tv's tuner ... will it work reproducing video and sound? (I can't seem to find a definitive spec on Australian Broadcasting standards - all I found was they do PAL B)

Am I talking nonsense? Someone pls advise. Any strong reasons I should not take the Toshiba 36ZP18P to oz?

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Depending on whether the tuner is a multi-standard item, it may not receive the sound of any broadcast-standard signal (ie off an aerial or off a device such as a local VCR with an RF output - anything going in to the TV via the aerial socket).

It will, however, work OK as a monitor for any external sources connected via any type of AV input - composite, SVideo, RGB etc.

Also bear in mind that those nasty SCARTs are peculiar to Europe so you may find cables and adaptors hard to get in Oz. So take a supply of them with you.

9. klee

klee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After more digging I can confirm the Toshiba 36ZP18P has support for the following broadcast standards:

Broadcast systems/channels
    PAL-I UHF UK21-UK69
    PAL-B/G UHF E21-E69
    VHF E2-E12, S1-S41
    SECAM-L UHF F21-F69
    VHF F2-F10, B-Q
    SECAM-D/K UHF R21-R69
    VHF R1-R12

The closest I've now come to describe the Australian system is: http://www.accesscomms.com.au/AUSTV.HTM

Also on the digital HDTV side of things I found this: http://www.aba.gov.au/tv/digitaltv/viewer/equipment.htm Following the Government's decision that all digital transmissions must include broadcasts in standard definition format (see media release), set-top boxes and digital televisions will decode either:

programs broadcast in standard definition format; or
    programs broadcast in both standard definition and high definition format.

Seems like I'm covered unless the E and S numbers don't match - help anyone?

10. Harry T

Harry T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not 100% sure, but I think your TV work here on an analogue transmission.

It will certainly work as a monitor for DVD or digital transmission.

Standard Definition Set Top boxes start at around AUD200. SCART adaptors are readily available (AUD20) and I have also seen SCART cables in shops (no idea on price).

Assuming the TV doesn't work here, factor in the above cost(s) and decide if it is still worthwhile to bring out the TV. If it isn't, then I would think it probably isn't worthwhile to bring the TV even if it did work on the analogue signal. Hope that makes sense.

Where in Australia are you moving to? And I hope you enjoy your stay.

11. klee

klee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cost isn't the issue since it is already part of a whole host of household items to be moved. Btw its Sydney. Based on its use as a good playback monitor ... I think I'll take it over. Its 36" and a good tube/electronics. Pity no one can really help with a better opinion / advise.

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Little risk. If you like it so much, take it. If you find it won't receive broadcasts, go and buy a cheap local VCR (here, they are about GBP50) and connect it via the AV input. Use the VCR as an analog tuner.

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think Austrailia use Scart

14. Harry T

Harry T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many TV sets have SCART connections, but many do not.

You will not find a DVD player or AV amp or digital set top box with SCART connections here.

As mentioned previously, SCART adaptors to composite, S-video and component are readily available.

Enjoy your time in Sydney, the beaches and weather are fantastic, but the road are a nightmare to navigate (well at least if you only do not live there).

15. Moe

Moe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer your questions...

1.Your TV is PAL I ,for use in the UK.Australia is PAL B/G.The difference is the Sound IF.Pal I uses 6.0MHz,PAL B/G is 5.5MHz.It can be converted ,but may cost approx £100.

2.Australian DTT uses different bandwidth than UK DTT although it is DVB.A UK IDTV will not work,and cannot be converted.

3.You may well have geomagnetic related purity problems.This is not marketing hype,and is because of the Southern Hemisphere magnetic fields as opposed to Northern Hemisphere,which the TV was designed for.

Hope this helps.

16. klee

klee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys its been a while but I am finally in Sydney and the tv finally arrived with the household items last week (after leaving UK Aug 18th - yep almost 3 months!!!) so thought an update would be in order.

All isn't perfect. There is a constant green and red tint/smear on the left side of the screen which wasnt there whilst in UK. Lots of marks and scratches on the frame so I'm not sure if the tint is due to mishandling or as Moe put it "geomagnetic related purity problems". There are no magnetic objects on that side of the screen. Visible immediately when tv is powered on and receiving no signals ie. white noise on screen.

Any engineers out there know about this geomagnetic problem and corrective actions?

17. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I didn't see your orginal post before you shipped out and I'm not an engineer but my understanding is that the geo-magnetic field of the southern hemisphere normally requires a completely different installation of the CRT, i.e. the TV has to be designed and built for southern hemisphere use.
    Good luck though, maybe someone has a fix.

18. lameboyadvance

lameboyadvance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried Googling about this, but can't come up with anything concerning TVs and geomagnetic differences between hemispheres.

I tried asking someone I know, and this is what he told me:
    "No. The earth's field is too weak to alter anything but the shadow mask, and that is fixed by degaussing."
    He also said:
    "But, the purity magnets can be loosened during shipping (or other rough treatment.)"

I wouldn't take our words for it. Neither of us are techs. But, have you tried taking it to a repair shop?

You also mentioned that it is PAL-I. Most new TVs here have selection between the different PAL formats, including I and B/G. Isn't this the same in the UK?

I'm interested in your results, as I am in search of a 20" TV with RGB SCART, and there are rarer here than in UK/Euope.

19. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not what you want to hear. I do not know if this tv is sold and supported in Australia - if it goes wrong, after sales support may be difficult to obtain. What if you take it all the way to Australia and find that it has been damaged in transit, could you really trust a haulage company/air freight to get it all the way there without damaging it ? You do not say exactly which model you have 36ZP? - do you know precisely where you will be staying ? - will it be suitable for your new home as a piece of furniture, if it were relatively new and in good condition I would offer it for sale and buy something new when you get to Australia. Sorry not to sound more positive since you're obviously keen to take it, but only my opinion. Regards, yt.

20. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    He's allready there Red :D

21. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ah sorry, didn't realise that this post was over 2 pages and I now see that you're in Australia. From your brief description it sounds like your tv has a purity problem (geomagnetic correction corrects picture twist or rotation not purity). After such a momentous voyage I can only suggest the following. Purity errors can be permanently induced if the crt (ie, tv) has been positioned close to a strong magnetic source for some time - maybe on its journey over your tv has been standing close to something with a strong magnetic influence. Small purity errors, caused by small magnetic objects close to the crt for a relatively short period of time, can usually be eliminated by the tv's internal degaussing coils - however these coils may not be able to de-magnetise a strongly magnetised crt, you would need to use an external de-gaussing coil. Alternatively, and perhaps more likely since it sounds as though the tv has suffered some poor manhandling, is that the purity ring magnets on the rear of the crt may have come dislodged or indeed the entire yoke deflection assembly on the crt has moved or become dislodged. Both of these causes (magnetism or dislodged purity/yoke assembly) would be easily adjusted by a competent tv engineer - I think it is definitely worth seeking out an engineer (and I do mean an engineer - not a board swapper). This may be easily tweekable unless the crt itself has become damaged during transit. Let us know how you get on (I did say don't take it - belatedly !) Regards, yt.

22. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think the problem has already being answered! The Earth is a giant magnet!

23. klee

klee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys I'm glad to hear your valued input. Red16v, would it help if I posted a pic of the tint/smear - as I'm nowhere as knowledgeable in tv tube matters, its causes and effects, I'm going to trust your judgement/opinion - so far I;m hearing that it is more akin to purity problems likely due to dislodged purity ring magnets or dislodged yoke reflection assembly. So a pic of the problem (with blue backgrnd) might shed more light.

I'm also hearing that it is little to do with the southern hemisphere geomagnetic issue - correct? (BTW just today witnessed a new Australian purchased JVC 32" InteriArt tv having a tilt menu option that is user adjustable - how cool is that? Why cant we do this on the tosh?)

I will seek to lodge a insurance claim on these removalist. The problem is I love this 36ZP18P (Picture Frame original version). Its series isnt sold in Aust. You cant get the Picture Frame series here at all. They have a very ugly 36" that is HDTV capapble though. (But to be honest on a tv scrn, I'm not that desperate on HDTV - plasma/projector yes)

I also have the same problem as a previous posting regarding broadcast standards - I am missing a menu item that allows me to select an alternate std - PAL B/G which is used here in Aust. I didn't see this post before shipping: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68112&referrerid=38274

I don't suppose anyone can help here. (What happened to service menu datyabase for this tosh 36ZP18P model? I'm surprise after all the discussions about this tv there arent a collection of service menu commands) Anyway this can be easily solved with local tuners in VCR/setopboxes and may not be worth the time rectifying in the tv's service menus as the prev poster wanted to do.

24. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, no need to post a picture - from what you describe you need an engineer to look at it in the first instance. 'User tilt option' - not usually necessary on a 32" telly since it should be a minor concern on this size of screen - generally it is available on larger crt tellys (36" etc) and indeed this is a user adjustable item on Toshiba's 36" range of Zp48 tellys. If the engineer is going to tweek the deflection yoke to adjust purity then he will automatically rotate the deflection yoke around to get 'zero twist' in the picture. I'm pondering over the comments concerning northern/southern hemisphere magnetic field differences. They must be different, but I think this is not a factor - sounds like a nice wind up, rather like the direction of the water swirl going down the bathplug clockwise/anticlockwise depending on which hemisphere !! - However here is a link to an internet chat about such matters:
    http://www.eio.com/repairfaq/REPAIR/F_crtfaq.html#CRTFAQ_015

With regard to tv reception standard etc. Australia uses the same system as Germany - is there not a country/language menu option on this tv set ? simply set it to German and you should then be able to tune/receive analogue broadcasts - although I see in the thread you pointed to this may not be as straightforward as it seems and the menus may be 'greyed out' ? Regards, yt.

25. Moe

Moe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    red16v...geomagnetic purity problems on TV's designed and manufactured for use in Europe (Northern Hemisphere),are very common when such a set is used in Australia..or any other part on the Southern Hemisphere.This is particularly prevalent in large (28" +) widescreen TV's.

I very much doubt that switching between language menus will have any effect on the Sound I.F.Those menus will normally be only for the language for on screen graphic displays.

26. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi 'Moe', I understand the point you're making about northern/southern hemisphere etc but I'm still inclined to think that any purity errors could be adjusted out. As as experiment I've just taken a professional 14" monitor and displayed colour bars on it - all ok. Turned it upside down - very large purity errors. Degaussed it using the internal degaussing coils - all comes good. Turned it back to be right way up - large purity errors. Used the internal degaussing and all comes good again. Not sure if I've simulated taking a tv to Australia (and back) but I think it's pointing in the direction that it might be possible to adjust out purity errors. With regard to language menus, I was suggesting/hoping that any menu option for changing langauage might also hold out the possibility that it might change tv standard in tandem ? Regards, yt.

27. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Red-i don't think turning the TV upside down similates being in Australia!! If you move a TV E/W you will also see purity errors appearing.I found some tech info re:hemisphere requirements for tubes,i'll try and find it...........

28. Moe

Moe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi red16v....I'm also not sure turning it upside down simulates the Southern Hemisphere..but I like your thinking!!! I did say that this problem is more prevalent on larger widescreen TV's,so a 14" may not show exactly the same problems .I'm not saying that it can't be adjusted out..but it cannot be guaranteed.

rgds.

29. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, - I didn't twist the tv round - to specifically avoid e/w effects. Certainly even on this small 14" the effect on purity was very dramatic. I recall a distant conversation I had with a retired colleague some time ago, his company had made a batch of monitors for use in Australia and they ended up having to take all the crts out and fitting them upside down to minimise the earth's magnetic effect - in those days crts used the delta gun arrangement (pretty much exclusively) and I suppose you can sort of imagine that kind of arrangement might be sensitive to variations in the earth magnetic field between the hemispheres - been a long time since I did one of those, I can't remember whether the blue gun had to be designed to be top or bottom but it certainly HAD to be one or the other. I wonder whether Trinitron or PIL crts would be similarly affected ?

I'm confident the purity problem could be adjusted out - it's only a magnetic field after all whether its in Australia or Acton ? and I still suspect the entire yoke deflection unit has become dislodged. My idea to turn it upside down was only to see the interaction (if any) between the earths magnetic field and the layout of the guns inside the neck of the crt. I'm emailing a contact I have at a manufacturer to hear his take on this - I'll be interested in his thoughts/practical experience and any info that 'DRGL' can find - some on the internet of course but mainly anecdotal rather than scientific. I think this thread has diverged a bit 'off topic' but perhaps of acedemic interest to some? Regards, yt.

30. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well my contact has replied. Indeed this is a known phenomenon. When they make monitors for Australia they manufacture them as normal and then take the crt out and re-mount it upside down. It then goes into a special shielded cage which has computer controlled coils on all sides to simulate any magnetic field in any part of the world. The coils are 'driven' according to a set of co-ordinates for any part of the world (he's given me an interesting map of the earths magnetic field). Whilst in the cage the purity and convergence are adjusted. Of course, when the monitor is taken out of the cage the picture is 'terrible' but of course it will be ok when the customer receives it in their part of the world. He also believes that Trinitron and PIL crts might not be so badly affected? Interesting. Still worth a go I think at adjusting the convergence/purity on this set. Regards, yt.