Question Any issues arising from video to TV and audio via AVR?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AlanX, Aug 23, 2018.

1. AlanX

AlanX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I'm looking to acquire a 4K player to feed a 4K TV. My AVR will not pass 4K HDR (AFAIK), so I'm planning to send the video from the player direct to the TV, and the player's separate audio output to the AVR.
    However, this means that my TV will not show the on screen graphics from the AVR - things like volume, mute, and any changes I want to make to the sound format and distribution to my speakers.
    I guess the only option is just using the limited display on the front of the AVR.
    Has anyone found this to be a real problem, or is it easy to live with? I'm trying to avoid investing in a shiny new AVR on top of everything else!

2. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,763
    It's a pain but you get used to it for volume and mute.
    Run your AVR cable to TV as normal on a diferent HDMI port. Then when you want to change more complex stuff switch to that input on the TV. Navigating around menus on an AVR display is a nightmare.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    The OP would need a a 4K player with two HDMI outputs (one dedicated to audio that the AVR can handle and the second for 4K video). A splitter will not work because it will reduce the video output to 1080p (the lowest common signal destination capability) during the HDCP handshake.

Just make sure the player has dual HDMI out.

eg

4k blu-ray player with dual hdmi - Google Search

It's a very common request for those with a AVR that does not support 4K throughput but does support HD audio (usually by conversion to multi-channel lpcm).

4. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,763
    That's what he implied he was getting I'm planning to send the video from the player direct to the TV, and the player's separate audio output to the AVR.
    OP is doing
    Player video--->TV
    Player audio--->AVR

Who mentioned a splitter?
    He has nothing AVR--->TV mentioned. So that can be used for non 4K stuff which won't passthrough his AVR or even just for display of the AVR menus when needed.

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Because the players seperate audio output will at best be Dolby DTS up to 5.1 channels using S/Pdif. Either coax or optical (toslink) even if available. Blu-ray and 4K offers lossless HD audio like DTS master-HD which is a big improvement in audio quality but only available using the much higher bandwidth of a hdmi cable. Connecting that way will reduce the audio quality by a large amount.

Older AVR's lack HD audio decoding, but players can recognise this and output multichannel lpcm on the HDMI cable to the AVR which gives identical audio quality. No idea how many channels the OP's AVR supports but even at the basic 5 speakers plus a sub woofer the difference is marked.

Basically your suggestion will cripple the enhanced audio available on Blu-Ray and 4K disks leaving only DVD quality audio. (best DTS 5.1).

He is buying expensive disks with the capacity to handle lossless digital audio and you are suggesting he uses the heavily compressed Dolby Digital or DTS found on DVD-Video disks.

It's not an issue with blu-ray because the AVR can pass through 1080p24 video and use the HD audio content, doing it this way with 4K will reduce the resolution to 1920 x 1084.

I mentioned a splitter to try and indicate a HDMI audio connection is required to the AVR, a fact you clearly did not understand.

All the OP has to do is follow my post (which you clearly did not understand) is buy a $K player with dual hdmi out which is designed to eliminate the above issue.

Had he listened to your advice he would have had worse audio on 4K disks than blu-ray.

6. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,763
    ?????
    If there is anybody not understanding something it's not me :(

Odd then that I am running a 7.2.4 atmos setup using the exact same configuration the OP has said he will be using. One HDMI cable from the player to TV and the other to the AVR. The OP notes he can't passthough 4K, not that he doesn't have a HDMI equipped AVR.

My AVR won't passthrough DV so I have to go the 2 cable route same as the OP. I can assure you I get both Atmos and DTS-X. From what I remember @alancross is getting or has got a 2 HDMI output 4K player. See his and my posts in Question - Using HDR player and TV with legacy AVR where I specifically advised him to get a 2 HDMI output player.

7. AlanX

AlanX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Whoa, guys ….. this was a question about viewing the AVR's OSG when doing an audio/video split at the 4K player. Not sure how we got into audio channels, interesting though that may be.
    You will see from my original post that I am talking about a 4K player with two HDMI outputs, where one is audio only, intended for legacy AVRs, and the other video direct to the TV (eg Panasonic UB420 player). I can't see how the audio options are limited compared with taking both audio and video to the AVR, which I would do if it could handle HDR.
    I will still have an HDMI connection from the AVR to another port on the TV for my off-air stuff, so appreciate doug56hl's point that I can simply switch to that input if I need to see my AVR settings, and then switch back again. Not ideal but workable. I can stop worrying about it until, one day, I upgrade my AVR.
    Cheers, guys.

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    I said the OP needs a 4K player with two HDMI outputs, that is true, There is no way your post even mentioned using two HDMI outputs.

I replied to your original post that you clearly couldn't be bothered to correct. The post I replied to was frankly lacking in any sort of any sort of accuracy.

If you later correct this totally misleading information, you cannot surely be surprised if someone points out the fact that the post lacks any sort of background information.

Taken in isolation it's just totally lacking any information relative to the OP's original post.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2018
  9. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,763
    For that matter neither did the original OP post...;)
    I didn't need to mention two HDMI outputs because his question wasn't about cabling but rather problems operating an AVR in those circumstances where you no longer have the On Screen Display. This is the question I answered in post #2. Also, as noted, I knew he had been advised to get a two HDMI output player by me back in May.

Graham, you were the one who went off at a tangent about splitters, optical/co-ax, audio codecs etc (none of which had anything to do with the OP question) and you could at least have the decency to apologise for those multiple "you clearly did not understand" accusations you were throwing my way :(

10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Sorry your post in 2 is misleading.

What is a AVR cable. I guess you mean a HDMI digital interconnect. AVR cable has no meaning other than possibly it can carry audio and video data in a a load of different analogue and digital formats.

Audio and Video can be transferred in many ways, The simplest AV interconnect is this.

1.5m 3 RCA Male to Plug Cable/Lead PHONO Audio & Video Composite AV TV/DVD Wire 5060227796198 | eBay

Next up is a step up.

BlueRigger 5-RCA Component Video and Audio Cable | eBay

There are many other variations. Simple example DVI analogue video plus analogue audio

You are the one that confused the issue,

I correctly observed based on your single (totally misleading post) that two HDMI ports are required, not AVR cables whatever that means. Sorry not apologising for the post I replied to that frankly had no way of understanding what you were talking about other than a guess.

Why you did not simply state HDMI interconnect and remove any doubt only confirms that you do not really understand the technology.

You need to post with the correct term form not some made up description if you expect your posts to be understood. AVR cable from Google :(

AVR cable - Google Search

11. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,763
    I see you added more to your post since I replied to it and and yet another one as well to stir the pot even further since. I guess an apology is out of the question now then...:laugh:
    I suggest you read the OP response to the answers to his question and give it a rest.