1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any iriver owners?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by matiano, Apr 13, 2005.

1. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This forum is seemingly dominated by Sony and Ipod users, I am looking at getting an mp3 player and my shortlist contains 2 irivers dunno where i have gone wrong! Problem is I cant find them in any retailers to play around. Either the H120 or the H320. The ability to playback photos isnt essential so that aside whats the benefit of the 320 and how big are the 2 units in comparison with say a 4th gen ipod?
    Any responses would be lovely jubbly...

2. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    John Lewis will have them.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well I don't know the size of the iPod, but my iRiver H120 is (HxWxD) 10.5x7x3cm

I've not compared the H120 to any of the newer models, but IIRC others have stated that the H120 has better sound quality and more connections.

Mark.

4. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I had a h140, was a nice player, but it broke after about 6 months. Luckly, amazon refunded the whole cost including all postage costs for it (which was lucky! As I wasn't entirely sure it wasnt me who broke it...hard drives being hard drives.)

Certainly was a nice player. The little "nipple" was a bit annoying to use sometimes when selecting tracks, and the slowness in reaching the end of a long list (no acceleration in scrolling) can be annoying, but overall it was a nice player.

One thing to note is that the reset button at the bottom of the player is stupidly small. If it ever crashes, and you dont have access to something about as thin as the lead in a retractable pencil, you'll have to wait for the battery to run out before you can reset it and use it again.

Also, the build quality was a bit shabby. The silver finish started peeling off after about a month, leaving behind a not so appealing rusty colour metal.

If you ignore all that though (which are minor niggles), it was a good mp3 player. Does everything it says. Supports pretty much everything. Reliable (it crashed twice in six months), nice battery length, fairly easy to use.

Having said all that, I ended up replacing it with an ipod photo 40gb (worked out cheaper, thanks boots!), and have to admit I prefer the ipod way of things. The difference in sound quality is pretty irrelevant to me. In fact, I didn't even notice a difference - I'd have to compare the two side by side to see if I noticed a difference.

Whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of thinking all people with ipods are just posers. Sure, some are - but the ipod is also a great mp3 player. I dont understand these people going around rubbishing the ipod in their "it's cool to be uncool" style of thinking. People who buy an iriver just because it's not an ipod are just as bad as the peope buying an ipod to look good, in my opinion.

Of course, if you NEED stuff like a radio and mp3 recording, then the iriver would be for you. There are plenty of advantages to the iriver. But I never used either feature on my iriver (who'd want a radio on it, when you've got 40gb of your favourite ad-free music with you?). While I DO use the features the ipod has which the irivers don't, such as on-the-go playlists, album art, and smart playlists via itunes.

Size is pretty similar. A lot of people who used my h140 now say my ipod seems a lot thinner, but I think the design and look of it may just be tricking them. Certainly doesn't make a big difference when it's in my pocket. Both were fine and easily transported.

The remote for the h140 was a nice extra, but has a weird placing of the clip, and it's all extra bulk. If you use it at all, you'll probably use it for a few weeks, then decide it's not worth the bother, and give up.

5. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a H340 in Nov after much research,
    for me the advantages are longer battery, no software for XP cut n paste multi codec OGG and importantly flash upgradable

and it dosnt look like fisherprice toy

A mate at work has just bought a H10 5gb after doing loads of research.

best advise read up and make you own mind up

6. nej

nej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought an H140 for the sole reason of having it in my car (connected via tape-adaptor). The main reasons for buying this over an IPOD where:

1 - Cheaper (40GB was same as 20GB I-Pod)
    2 - Remote Control

The remote control was the main thing. I have it on the dashboard of my car (with the rest of the unit tucked away discreetly) so I can control the player without even taking my eyes of the road, plus I have the song titles/album titles displayed right in front of me - very useful.

I've had it since Xmas (thanks, Wife!) and never had a problem with it at all.

7. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When I compared the sound quality of an iPod 40GB 4G to an iRiver H140 with my Koss KSC35 phones it sounded a great deal better on the iRiver, hence why I bought it. Sound quality is by far the most important thing to me. If it looked like an Angler Fish I would still buy it as long as it sounded better. The fact that soon U will be able to run Rockbox and have an almost limitless set of additions make it even more compelling. I still personally rate the H140 as the daddy of all MP3 players and I wouldn't swap it for a 60GB colour iPod.

8. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In truth I much prefer the appearance of the ipod and think the clickwheel is absolutely delicious the only thing putting me off getting one is the fact that I have about 15gb of music on my laptop stored in wma format and I have heard ipods are a bit poop in those circumstances. Whereas I was under the impression that the irivers would sync in with windows media player which would be smashing. I am leaning toward the H120 thanks to its smaller size over the 320. Just wondered what other benefits the 320 had. Thanks for your replies all very useful, loking to purchase from Amazon tonight or tomo so any more coments would be smashing.

Cheers
    Matt

9. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    I decided to go for Iriver mini H10(5GB) and I'm really glad I did. Perfect size, great sound quality,FM radio, colour screen, superb sound quality,long battery life(12hrs) and having photos is a bonus :D

If i see another ipod on the tube :devil:

If the 5GB is too small,a 20GB version will be out later this year

DVD

10. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have an I-river H320, the feature list is very impressive, it'll

1) Play music
    2) Has a built in FM tuner so you can listen to the radio
    3) Lets you record form the radio to the hard drive
    4) Has a built in mic to let you voice record like a dictaphone
    5) Can encode on the fly so you can rip tracks without a computer interface
    6) Can store and display colour image files
    7) Can store and diplay text files
    8) Can download images from a set range of digital cameras without a computer to let you purge memory cards
    9) Is recognised by all windows from ME on as an external drive without the need for a software download.
    10) can store any type of data file like an external hard drive
    11) Can play Div-x movies
    12) Has a 16 hour battery
    13) Can record any audio source fron the line-in and encode it to mps on the fly meaning you can rip old records or tapes to digital.

Downside? doesn't look as cute as an i-pod, no playlists on the fly and the navigation buttons are a little small. Depends on what youre looking for i suppose but i love the way Windows see's it as an external drive so i can dump loads of work related data on it to take home.

http://www.misticriver.net is a great site for i-river info.

11. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    P.S latest firmware upgrade is rumoured to add a clock (potentially for future timer recording for the radio) and WMV playback.

12. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a sudden twist I have just ordered a Creative Zen (the 20gb one). Because I know it syncs in with windows media player and was the cheapest! If I dont like then I think I will be exchanging for the H320 as for the extra £20 on Amazon over the H120 the features are worth it regardless of whether they will get used!
    Thanks for your help and if the Zen doesnt work out I will let u know!

13. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought the ipod 20g for my sister & at the same time I treated myself to the H320, Its loads of features and plays video files.

14. fdrzrich

fdrzrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    It already played WMV, it now plays WAV files! No recording in WAV as yet, but good news for all you audiophiles eh!
    Another bonus feature of the new firmware is that you can change the speed of the tracks by +/- 5% approx I think. It only allows you to change the speed of Mp3s and not Oggs, Wavs or WMAs.

Just go to http://www.misticriver.net if you have ANY questions about Irivers!