Any insulin pump users want to share the experience

tonyrees687

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A quick shout out to any type 1 diabetic guys or girls. Do you use a pump to deliver insulin or multiple injections. What are your experiences.

I'm not diabetic so can't comment from personal experience but my sister-in-law has recently had a pump fitted and she told me it's made her life a lot better. She said it's so much better not having to inject and she doesn't have hypo episodes anymore either (correct term?). Hope this helps :)

I'm not diabetic so can't comment from personal experience but my sister-in-law has recently had a pump fitted and she told me it's made her life a lot better. She said it's so much better not having to inject and she doesn't have hypo episodes anymore either (correct term?). Hope this helps :)

It does help and glad your sister has had a positive experience with the pump. This is great news thanks for the reply:thumbsup:

Just bumping this as I am going on a pump next Wednesday and looking for any info

Please keep us upto date with your experiance!!

I'd be interested in seeing how you get on with it. I do multiple injection 5-6 a day currently.

I did go to a group at the hospital to have a look at pumps and how they work and hear the potential benefits of it, but i didnt like the idea of it being attached to me constantly. Plus they need me to attend a 1 week DAFNE course in order to even become eligible, and i cant afford to take that time off work. :(

I went on the dafne course but it was every Tuesday for a month rather than a week. Found it very help full and my control became tighter after learning carb counting and getting my insulin sensitivity ratio correct. Ive tried the pump for a week running saline through it and its very easy to live with and not really a problem fo me. So going live with insulin next Wednesday and looking forward to no more multipal injections. Even if you don't want a pump try and do the dafne course its very beneficial really makes you understand your condition.

It's more that i cant afford to take the time off, rather than work not letting me.

It's more that i cant afford to take the time off, rather than work not letting me.

One week of your life to improve health and well-being and being around to see your family growing up . Its worth the punch.

Well been to the hospital today and gone live with the insulin pump. All very smooth just got to do some intense monitoring of blood sugars for a week to get all the levels sorted. Its an Animas 2020 pump and can do pretty much anything you want it to. Update you in a week with what sort of levels I get and any probs that I may have.
So all in all not a bad birthday gift so far.
Tony

Only 2 days in and my blood sugars are very high but stable. At least we have a point of reference now. Nurse has been excellent ,calling me every morning midday and evening ,today as well. Very happy with the pump no probs changing the cannula today. And no injections (very nice) so in the next few days ,get the bolus and basal sorted and I will update.
Had no probs so far sleeping with the pump I just chuck it down on the bed and dont know its there. except for last night when Mrs 687 decided to migrate onto the top of my pump and i felt a little tug on the cannula (I know there's a joke in there somewhere ). But all ok
So adjusting my insulin levels with the nurse via phone and web and will update soon. At this very early stage gotta say I'm very pleased.

Thanks for the update Tony :thumbsup:

I was put on a blood glucose monitor for a week a few years ago.

The most uncomfortable thing in the world.

Needless to say, i havent 'gone' for the pump.

I am waiting for the progress on this:

Current Biology

Ok 2 weeks with the pump. Advantage no more injections. Disadvantages having to carry around a lot more stuff.
Anyway feeling a whole lot better no more big changes in blood sugar levels.Still having some problems with the daily dose of insulin but getting there. I need to adjust the basal rate from 3am to 6 am to get good readings and adjust the bosal rate in the morning after breakfast. Hard work no sleep but worth it. Best ive felt for years. When I put the cannula in its no problem, filling the insulin cartridge is a bind but I've got a good technique that works perfectly. Its a major life change but better than the alternative e.g. blindness ,amputations, heart disease,liver and kidney failure.

Thanks for the update tony :thumbsup:

One month and 4 days in on the pump. I do really like the pump, its a big commitment to having it on all day but I do feel 300% better. Not having big swings in Blood Glucose (BG). Got the BG down to around 8.5 for most of the day just rising to 9 or 10 at 7am for breakfast so a little adjustment needed there. It is like a pancreas. I just need to tell the pump what rate of insulin I need at any one time and it sorts it out. Got to admit that it takes blood testing to a new level. I test around 9-12 times a day now but once I'm sorted that should come down a lot.
Anyhoo feeling better and getting better.
Update you later if anyone's interested.

Still interested in how you progress.

Have you had a binge drinking session while using the pump yet?

My main question (feel free not to answer), but how awkward is it to have sex? I am aware you can disconnect the pump for brief periods of time, but having the cannula in while going at it seems far from ideal.

No binge sessions getting to old for all that , but I do drink a couple of glasses red wine every night and don't notice any BG drops so all ok there. As for sex yes you can disconnect for an hour and the cannula is so small you don't know its there and you can put it where ever you inject. I suppose is no different to say having a belly button piercing and having sex. The cannula is 22mm x 20mm and around 3 mm high so very small.
I did have a problem only yesterday where the cannula didnt go in properly and my BG shot up so had to change it again 2 hours later when I checked my BG but so far so good.

46 days on the pump, and now got BG down to 6.2 for most of the day. Looking good. No major spikes. I will post some pics of the cannula and pump if you interested. Its not without problems though, having a tickle fight with my daughter on Friday night and the cannula got torn out ,but just put a new one in and it dont hurt. Sleeping with the pump is ok ,used to it now.What I cant get used to yet is looking for my injection pens after a meal. Dont need them just a habit Hurrah.
My goal is BG of below 6 all day once I get this I will post back but for now this pump has been a life changer for me. No more mood swings or that terrible anxiety you get,and knowing your safe going out alone.
Tony

Thanks again for the updates, please continue to keep posting on your experiances.

What is thew process for changing over to the pump, is there a cost?

Cheers and well donew on getting a stable reading:clap:

Martin

There is no cost at all to yourself.If you speak to your diabetic nurse she can get the ball rolling. I was with Windsor hospital and they would not give me one so I went to Wycombe hospital and they said yes Postcode lottery. But funding is becoming easier.

Ok had the pump since 04 /04/2012. Last few days been pretty bad. Had an infection at the cannula site, got very sick very quickly ( surprised how quick it came on) Had a very sharp pain at the cannula site and then redness around the site ,then some sort of edema under the skin. My BG went up to 28 within the hour .Did lots of insulin corrections (pumping in more insulin) but would not come down. Started felling very tired and lethargic and was thinking oh this could be a coma situ. My daughter ,bless her called my wife and she took me to GP, gave me a high dose of penicillin and flucloxacillin ( contains penicillin as well i think) and after 24 hours the infection has started to subside so feeling better. Right now at time of the post BG is 11 and feeling a lot better. Pump is good but this has knocked me back a bit in confidence but I suppose to be expected. Will still carry on :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom