Any info on the new Phillips 37PF9830???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Argee1977, May 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm looking at this LCD as well as the new panasonic PV500 plasma and was wondering if anyone had any info on the 9830, i'm a complete newbie to this so the most basic of information and explanations would be appreciated, as well as a comparison against the plasma TVs.

What i was wondering was, is it easier to set up and use from new than a plasma, do i have to get it calibrated or set it up differently from factory settings, is there a lot of work in setting these up???

As i say, any info would be great, i'm just wanting the easiest way of getting a 37" TV that doesn't take up too much room, thats why i'm looking at plasma or LCD.

2. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Phillips 37PF9830 has not yet been released.

3. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, i should have said i won't be buying until around July so by that time the 9830 should hopefully be out, but has there been any info released on it, i've read somewhere that theres phillips have previewed it at some shows but have they given a spec sheet?

The other thing was from people who know about LCDs, are they easy to set up, i'm sure that the 9830 won't be anymore complicated than the 9986 so anyone using them and having any problems that occur during set up to get the best picture, and how do you get the best picture?

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

If you dig obout on this forum you'll find quite a lot of info on the new 9830's. Here is a link to an introduction to the range.
    http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/230/v/4/sp/

There is a thread titled 'info on new Philips range' (or something) which has further info.

The 32" is the 'Hot' one in the range, as it has the new scanning backlight which is going to make a bit of a difference to black levels and detail in dark scenes.

Setting up the 9830, or any LCD is fairly straightforward. Just plug everything in, fiddle with the picture settings a bit and enjoy. (Oversimplified, I know, but basically right..)

Just keep up with the forum, Agree1977, and you'll soon know it all!

Jimmy

5. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers for that, i started out about 2 months ago with my heart set on a 42" plasma, by last week i was looking at the new PV500 but reading the plasma forum it sounded like you needed an electronics degree to set them up, then get them calibrated and finally watching it on reduced settings for the first 200 hours, it all seemed too much for me so i started looking at LCDs, i saw the 32" and 42" PF9986 in Robert Whytes and they looked very good, especially with the pixel plus running, but i also heard the 9830 will be better with stuff like football so was just wondering what differences have been made that means its better than the 9986, its funny, it took me 2 minutes to choose a laptop yet its taking me several months to choose a tele.

:eek:

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 32PF9830 utilises a scanning backlight which has the double effect of improving Black level detail and improving clarity during high speed scenes.

The 37PF9830 and 42PF9830 don't have this facility, but have other improvements over the current 9986's. Most notable being that the 42" has a 1080 vertical resolution!

I don't watch much Footbal, but my 9986 certainly has no trouble at all with all the motorsport I watch!

Jimmy

7. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thats good news if it can handle most sports, although why aren't the 37 and 42 fitted with the same scanning backlight as the 32", since the 37 and 42 will cost way more than the 32"???

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I expect there's been a fair amount of expensive research involved with the development of the scanning backlight and I'm pretty sue Philips thought it best to confine this to their top seller at the moment. I don't actually know the figures, but I expect hat the 32" outsells the 37" by a factor of 4 or 5 and the 42" by 10 or 15.

Expect it to appear later, or in the next generation.

Jimmy

9. Dazzle

Dazzle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What do you think the pricing will be for these new Philips TV's when they are released? I'm hoping under 2k for the 32".

10. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    If your hoping for under 2k, then you can bet £2200 because that's always the way.. :rotfl: (I don't know the price by the way).

11. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, there goes the plan to buy a 37 inch Philips...

12. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 9830 is available to order already for just under £2K.
    http://www.dcsat.co.uk/products_tv_item.asp?product_id=174

Interesting that this company has the 32PF9996 far sale at a higher price?!

Jimmy

13. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Aw, i was wanting the 37" version myself, but if its not got much more over the PF9986 then i might see what other manufacturers are offering this summer.

14. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If there is a modification/upgrade for the 9986 to have a component input, do you think that is something that might be offered with the 9830?

15. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 37PF9986 is still got a measure of new features over the 9986. Just not the scanning backlight.

I'm guessing, but will still most likely be the one to beat. There are relatively few screens in this size range and really only Sharp and Loewe (that I can think of) will put up any challenge...but they aren't really coming up with anything very enticing that I have seen yet....

Jimmy

16. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 9830 has Component input and DVI and HDMI. In fact it seems to be able to handle Component over DVI and through separate component inputs.

Jimmy

17. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    really? ace. thats helping me want it even more. I don't understand "component over DVI" however.. I thought DVI was digital.. unless this is DVI-I which as I understand it is just an analogue signal? In which case I hope it can also cope with DVI-D :)

It looks pretty too so thats a bonus. Looking forward to seeing on in the flesh as it were i think.

18. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVI input on the 9986 is DVI-I. It accepts both digital (DVI) and analog (VGA) signals.
    Over the analog input, it also accepts component video (but only on the second-generation sets).

No idea what will on the 9830 when it is in the stores. Everyone seems to 'know' based on reading leaked product sheets and preliminary product announcements, but I would not count on those. Try to read the product sheet of the 9986 and match it with the real-life product. Those lowlevel details are not correctly described in that sheet either.

I would wait and see.

19. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, it's right to be cautious! The Dutch Philips website has all sorts of info, some of which seems like a load of nonsense! So, everything we are 'stating' here is, let's say, educated guess work. It is fairly safe to assume that the connectivity we have been discussing is right enough.

I have some contact with somebody at Philips, and I have heard nothing to contradict what is being said on these posts.

Jimmy