Any info on the MA 300 3G Floorstanders?

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen these for around £250 new.

Monitor 300 | Floorstanding Speakers | Monitor Audio

I've currently got an MA Silver C350 centre and Q3050i as the L/R, does anyone know how these compare to the Q's, and would they sound similar to the centre timbre wise?

Mainly movie/tv use via a Denon 3500H, but the occasional bit of music via a Denon 520AE amp.

Just can't afford the Silver 300 at the moment and looking at other options that might be an improvement.

I can't get out to demo any due to I'll heath unfortunately, so I'm stuck with online info.

Any advice would be appreciated 👍🏼

Hi

Just my thoughts...

While, they'll likely be a better match sonically to your centre (mainly due to being from the same manufacturer), those 300's are I believe a range down from the equivalent generation Bronzes. Imo your current QA's are superior in every way.

Out of interest what colour (silver 300's) would you be wanting? I've seen some decent prices on earlier (than 6th gen) silvers, which will - imho - be a better match. Just look on ebay.

All of this though is obviously just my opinion... Based on owning some 6g 300's (and 100's). While also having auditioned the 200's!

Hi

Just my thoughts...

While, they'll likely be a better match sonically to your centre (mainly due to being from the same manufacturer), those 300's are I believe a range down from the equivalent generation Bronzes. Imo your current QA's are superior in every way.

Out of interest what colour (silver 300's) would you be wanting? I've seen some decent prices on earlier (than 6th gen) silvers, which will - imho - be a better match. Just look on ebay.

All of this though is obviously just my opinion... Based on owning some 6g 300's (and 100's). While also having auditioned the 200's!
Pretty much what I was guessing.

Looking for a black finish, I'll keep looking about anyway, cheers for the reply 👍🏼

The Monitor Range was derived from the Russian market and the version you are looking at is one that has been retuned for the ROW as Russians enjoy big bass which the Monitors used to shout, hiding much of the midrange as I remember the first series to hit the U.K.

I actually feel they are a step down on the Q Acoustics and you would be better off looking for a pair of Silver's if you are hoping to better them as you're Q Acoustics speakers are more a sideways set and not really any better. I would suspect that in some areas, the 3050's would better them sonically for certain tonal frequencies while the bass on the Monitor 300 will put the 305'0s to shame and if you're using a woofer for cinema, then in my opinion, you'd be better or with a better pair of speakers from high up the Monitor Audio range

The Monitor Range was derived from the Russian market and the version you are looking at is one that has been retuned for the ROW as Russians enjoy big bass which the Monitors used to shout, hiding much of the midrange as I remember the first series to hit the U.K.

I actually feel they are a step down on the Q Acoustics and you would be better off looking for a pair of Silver's if you are hoping to better them as you're Q Acoustics speakers are more a sideways set and not really any better. I would suspect that in some areas, the 3050's would better them sonically for certain tonal frequencies while the bass on the Monitor 300 will put the 305'0s to shame and if you're using a woofer for cinema, then in my opinion, you'd be better or with a better pair of speakers from high up the Monitor Audio range
Thanks for that, very useful info 👍🏼

I used to own the Monitor 200 2g which are the same as the 3g, just orange cones instead of black cones.

The share technology from the older and newer bronze speakers, they have MMP2 woofers (same material as the bronze B2,B4,b6,etc , c cam tweeters(I believe these are the same as the previous generation bronze and HiVE 2 ports (current generation and used throughout the ranges).

They are fantastic for the money, you still get that monitor audio sound signature.

The reason for their cheaper price is that they're discontinued but when they were released they cost a little more , Monitor 200 were £400, 300 more ?£500-600.

They have proven technology handed down so research costs are less, also no real wood veneer, no metal binding posts, simple feet and no magnetic grilles,. All this significantly reduces the cost.

You could either get the matching QA centre, or look for a used pair of silver 6g speakers. The bookshelf silver 100 or the silver 200 if the silver 300 is out of budget will work. The silver 50 if you don't have a very large room.

I used to own the Monitor 200 2g which are the same as the 3g, just orange cones instead of black cones.

The share technology from the older and newer bronze speakers, they have MMP2 woofers (same material as the bronze B2,B4,b6,etc , c cam tweeters(I believe these are the same as the previous generation bronze and HiVE 2 ports (current generation and used throughout the ranges).

They are fantastic for the money, you still get that monitor audio sound signature.

The reason for their cheaper price is that they're discontinued but when they were released they cost a little more , Monitor 200 were £400, 300 more ?£500-600.

They have proven technology handed down so research costs are less, also no real wood veneer, no metal binding posts, simple feet and no magnetic grilles,. All this significantly reduces the cost.

You could either get the matching QA centre, or look for a used pair of silver 6g speakers. The bookshelf silver 100 or the silver 200 if the silver 300 is out of budget will work. The silver 50 if you don't have a very large room.
Thanks for the info 👍🏼

I had the matching QA centre and changed it to the C350, much better!

Needs to be floorstanders really as the kids will probably knock over anything on a stand 😅

I'll still keep an eye out for Silver 300's

The silver 200 are cheaper than the 300 so don't rule them out if you find a pair for a good price. The 300 would be ideal and a good match but the 200 will be a good compromise.

Keep an eye out on the usual online marketplaces.
I have seen the silver 200 selling for £400-500 and the performance is fantastic for the size.
It will also match well with the c350. Though the driver size is different, if you are using a decent receiver you it will integrate nicely.
I run c350 with silver 200 at the moment. The silver 300 would be the best option if you can get a good deal on them as they are 3 way and have larger drivers

You could also look at the Gold GR20, GS20, GR60 and GS60. They have 6.5 inch drivers. They also feature c cam tweeters and RST cones but I think these old Golds are more advanced than the silver 6g despite their age.

The silver 200 are cheaper than the 300 so don't rule them out if you find a pair for a good price. The 300 would be ideal and a good match but the 200 will be a good compromise.
Keep an eye out on the usual online marketplaces.
I have seen the silver 200 selling for £400-500 and the performance is fantastic for the size.
It will also match well with the c350. Though the driver size is different, if you are using a decent receiver you it will integrate nicely.
I run c350 with silver 200 at the moment. The silver 300 would be the best option if you can get a good deal on them as they are 3 way and have larger drivers
You could also look at the Gold GR20, GS20, GR60 and GS60. They have 6.5 inch drivers. They also feature c cam tweeters and RST cones but I think these old Golds are more advanced than the silver 6g despite their age.
Thanks guys, that's very helpful 👍🏼

One thing to watch out for on those older golds. the GR60's are tri-wireable (so make sure the binding posts are included) while the rest are bi-wireable. The other thing I also remember about the Golds from this generation is they really need to be used in order to keep them supple as I do remember them tightening up if not used for a while. Having said that, after a short time usage, they came to again

One thing to watch out for on those older golds. the GR60's are tri-wireable (so make sure the binding posts are included) while the rest are bi-wireable. The other thing I also remember about the Golds from this generation is they really need to be used in order to keep them supple as I do remember them tightening up if not used for a while. Having said that, after a short time usage, they came to again
That's right, the GR have triple binding posts. Not an issue as you can use a bit of speaker cable if the links are missing. In all likelihood a pair of GR60 and GS60 in immaculate condition still fetch more than the Silver 200 6g. They were 3 or 4 times the price of the silver 200 when new. You may need to upgrade your sub, depending on what sub you have, if you get the Golds. I had the smallest ones in the range, the large bookshelf GR10s and adding a BK xls200 did nothing extra the GR10s on their own can't do in terms of bass depth.

Maybe add the silver 6, 8 and 10 5g to your shortlist?

Thanks 👍🏼

That's right, the GR have triple binding posts. Not an issue as you can use a bit of speaker cable if the links are missing. In all likelihood a pair of GR60 and GS60 in immaculate condition still fetch more than the Silver 200 6g. They were 3 or 4 times the price of the silver 200 when new. You may need to upgrade your sub, depending on what sub you have, if you get the Golds. I had the smallest ones in the range, the large bookshelf GR10s and adding a BK xls200 did nothing extra the GR10s on their own can't do in terms of bass depth.

Maybe add the silver 6, 8 and 10 5g to your shortlist?
Subs are a pair of XTZ 12.17 Edge.
I'll add the suggestions to my research list 👍🏼

So it's looking like this:

First choice, Silver 300 6g

Second choice, Silver 200 6g

Third choice, Older Golds or older Silvers

I think the c350 centre may be the weak link if you get a pair of old Gold floorstanders. There's a huge price difference between the GR20 to GS60 and the Silver 200 and 300 6g, even without taking into account the inflation.

Just thinking, I'm looking at floorstanders as I'm worried about having speakers on stands with the kids running about, but I could actually wall mount them, so I guess I could look at the Silver 50 and 100.
I hardly listen to 2 channel music these days, so it's mainly movies and TV use.

Any thoughts?

A friend has just said he's selling his Bronze 2 speakers, so I might bring them hear for a listen.
The main driver is the same size as the C350, slightly different design it looks like, but they might sound similar still?

A friend has just said he's selling his Bronze 2 speakers, so I might bring them hear for a listen.
The main driver is the same size as the C350, slightly different design it looks like, but they might sound similar still?
The bronze 2 are very different to the silver 6g. For a start the drivers on the bronze 2 are c cam whereas the silver are rst. They're voiced differently.

The bronze range has a different sound signature. I really liked the bronze 2 for stereo listening. But they wouldn't match that well with the silver c350.
I had the bronze FX for a while and there was a noticeable difference when panning.

A good example was when gaming. If you spin the camera round and it causes a sound to pan across your speakers. It wasn't very seamless moving from the silver range in the front , to bronze rear speakers.

I swapped them to silver FX and it pans seamlessly now. I think you would notice this even more if you have mixed your front LCR

The silver 50 definitely could be wall mounted, you might just need to use the bungs if it's right up against the wall.

The silver 100 reviews really well, but would be more suited to be a decent distance away from walls. It's got a large 8 inch driver so might sound a bit boomy if too close to the back wall.

The bronze 2 are very different to the silver 6g. For a start the drivers on the bronze 2 are c cam whereas the silver are rst. They're voiced differently.
The bronze range has a different sound signature. I really liked the bronze 2 for stereo listening. But they wouldn't match that well with the silver c350.
I had the bronze FX for a while and there was a noticeable difference when panning.

A good example was when gaming. If you spin the camera round and it causes a sound to pan across your speakers. It wasn't very seamless moving from the silver range in the front , to bronze rear speakers.

I swapped them to silver FX and it pans seamlessly now. I think you would notice this even more if you have mixed your front LCR

The silver 50 definitely could be wall mounted, you might just need to use the bungs if it's right up against the wall.

The silver 100 reviews really well, but would be more suited to be a decent distance away from walls. It's got a large 8 inch driver so might sound a bit boomy if too close to the back wall.
Thanks guys, useful input again 👍🏼

I just had a listen to my friends MA Bronze 2 in my room, and to my ears they are a step up from my Q3050i for detail, voices, instruments etc, actually impressed with them.
He's selling them, but they're the wrong colour for a start 😅

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom