1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any info on new Sony HTK-250?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Atzan, Sep 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Atzan

Atzan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was planning on buying the Sony HTK-25 amp/speakers kit to go with my existing Sony KV32NX100 IDTV and DVP-NS900 DVD player. My living room is small and space is very limited, both for speakers and another box under the TV (also got a cable box and VCR) and this seemed the best option for a small room, especially at the price.

Best price I've found for the HTK-25 is £196 inc. delivery from unbeatable. However, I now seem that some stores (avland.co.uk, empire and unbeatable) are listing a new Sony HTK-250, best price £248 inc. delivery from empire. Release date for the new model is given as September.

Does anyone have any information on the HTK-250 and how it differs from the HTK-25? sony.co.uk doesn't mention it. Basically, I want to know whether it's worth the extra £50-odd, or should I just get the cheaper model! From the picture at avland.co.uk, it looks like the amp box has been updated although the speakers and sub look the same as the HTK-25.

Any help much appreciated,

Atzan

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi atzan
    I have just put a sony htk-25 in my daughters bedroom ,i brought it from hifi bitz for 199 quid they did retail at 350 quid when first bought out.The amplifier is fitted in the sub all speaker connections are made at the sub as well the main unit just houses the decoders and act as a switching box very compact thats why i brought it.The performance is very good and it is plenty loud enough for my daughters bedroom which is 18'x9' so it would be fine in your room.For how much it costs its a bargain, dont know about the new model though.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. morettat

morettat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was going to wait for the new model, but then found out Sony had only made cosmetic changes to the control module to make it match their new horizontal/vertical mounted Freeview box and DVD player.

In fact, not only are the features, speakers, etc. identical to the older model, but if Sony's figures are accurate the new subwoofer is actually less powerful than the old one!

I bought a HT-K25 a few weeks ago from Unbeatable and have been really pleased with it. DTS sounds stunning as well as Dolby 5.1, and even music sounds good.

So if I were you I would snap up the 25 from Unbeatable while they still have them at that price.