Any info on Jackson's Dam Busters?

gibbsy

Solutions
Reaction score
It's been announced in the press several months ago that Peter Jackson was going to produce a remake of the 50s classic Dambusters. Information seems a bit sketchy at the moment, I wonder do any of you have any inside information. If not then start a rumour!!!!!:devil:

One question for Hollywood, 'WHY?'.

Seriously, what's the deal? Dambusters ..... why? Carling BL have already redone it.

I have come to the conclusion that Hollywood studios have to produce so many hours of film per year and it's just so much easier to make up their quota by remaking movies.

I have nothing against remaking movies per se as it's an opportunity to update them or, in the case of movies that used some sorts of "special effects", to improve them visually but most of the remakes are dross*.

*polite way of saying sh***

One question for Hollywood, 'WHY?'.

My thoughts exactly. But it will be interesting to see how they crowbar the obligatory black actor in there. Probably Don Cheadle with his usual apaulling British accent. ;)

I wonder if it will be morale boosting jingoism, like the original movie, or technically correct with very little affect on the German war machine, and also against the Geneva convention?

Regards

Mark

I thought hed now given the go to start on the Hobbit this year or is that just me wishful thinking ?:D

I wonder if it will be morale boosting jingoism, like the original movie, or technically correct with very little affect on the German war machine, and also against the Geneva convention?

Regards

Mark

Morale boosting jingoism? How so, it was made in the mid 1950s. The raid may have had a short term material effect, but like the American Doolittle raid on Tokyo it sent a message. As for the Geneva Convention, I guess after the blitz on our cities we weren't in a touchy feely, bleeding heart kind of mindset at the time. Maybe you think a strongly worded letter to Mr Hitler would have been more appropriate? ;)

The war was won by the industrial and military strength of Russia and America, with a little help from us, along with a few others. The point of the raids were to show Russia and America that we were a little less crap militarily than they both thought we were at the time. Sadly, the major single achievement of the raid was in fact to kill 750 Ukrainian prisoners of war held in a camp at the base of one of the dams. The Dambusters is typical morale boosting bluster that re-wrote history to help us feel better. The science was good though, and something we can be proud of.

Regards

Mark

Sadly, the major single achievement of the raid was in fact to kill 750 Ukrainian prisoners of war held in a camp at the base of one of the dams.

Regards

Mark
Know if the prisoners where deliberately held captive near the base of the dam to try and avert raids on the dam?

Seems unlikely as the Germans never really expected such a raid. Even after the raid they were non-plussed as to why we'd go to all that trouble, and at such cost, for so little gain. It was always more a politcal/moral boosting stunt than a military one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise

Regards

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom