1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any impressions of this Tosh Strata? (36ZT29)

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Abadd, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Abadd

Abadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of buying the Toshiba Strata 36ZT29 CRT, mainly for Pro Scan gaming and DVD. Any impressions/reviews/common problems?

Cheers

2. CooLix

CooLix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you look through the threads on this forum (mainly Biboos shortened thread regarding the xxZD26 ), the main gripe has been regarding the tilt issues on the screen. i.e. screen appears to be sloping down to one side.

It appears that some ZD and ZT Strata models are "susceptible" to external magnetic forces. Speakers, Grannies hearing aid, etc.

Since the tilt cannot be changed via the service menu's, it generally requires a engineer visit or replacement.

Even with this in mind, many other threads have been favourable to the xxZD26 and xxZT29 (Strata) range of TV's.

So, on that information I have recently purchased the 32ZT29B and am expecting delivery tomorrow. I deemed just over a grand for a IDTV with a decent picture a bargain. (best picture I saw using the analougue BBC1 feed in Comet and Powerhouse)

I will let you know my conclusions.

3. Abadd

Abadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Much appreciated. Im looking for a big screen CRT with Pro Scan and a component input and the strata seems pretty much the only option apart from certain Loewe TVs which seem to be expensive with a range of smaller screens. The only gripe I have is the lack of more than one RGB input and id heard certain Stratas can have screen problems but it doesnt sound too bad. Will just have to keep granny away :)

Cheers

4. Abadd

Abadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get the TV and how much if you dont mind me asking?

5. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had 3 sets and returned all 3 as i cannot accept the dark patches down the left and right hand side of the screen , a lot of people say they dont notice them much ,but to me they are far too intrusive on what is an excellent picture.
    Try watching a football match or any sporting event with a uniform background and they stick out like a sore thumb , imho when you spend this sort of money you should expect a tv without a fault as pronounced as this.
    Just checking the previous threads you will see that it looks like at least 90% of these tvs have this fault.

6. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just replaced my 32ZT29 for the 36ZT29. Why? You might say.

Well I wanted my 32inch set changed b'coz of the tilt and after a fight with the company, I've managed to change it.

I went back to the shop and looked over all of their range of TV's. I was looking at the Sony 32 & 36 NX200, a nice TV, but the Jerry Anderson look, sort of put me off. So, I ended up with the 36inch Tosh.

The only reason I didn't like the 32inch set, was b'coz of the lack of a tilt control, which does come in very handy. Picture on both TV's is very good, in fact, excellent!!! I should be, hopefully, getting in 2 weeks.

Go for the Strata, but try and squeeze for the 36inch set. It's worth it in the long run, for the tilt control. Also, geometry was very good. And the service menu is clear to understand, too. If you find a bend in the geometry. There's no colour bleed, also.

And don't worry about 1 RGB input. The s-video quality is just as good and there's component, too.

It must say a lot for the set, if I'm getting the same one, all be it, the 36inch version. And my family think I'm a perfectionist. So it can't all be bad a TV.

Cheers,
    John

7. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone offer similar advice on the 28" versions of the ZD26 or ZT29 models? I'm unsure whether to go the whole hog and order the ZT model, or save the money and get the cheaper one. I'd have to buy a Freeview box (or similar) if I ordered the ZD26 model, so that is £100 of the saving I'd spend anyway.

Do both models have the same internals as far as the picture quality goes? If so is it worth £300-£400 extra for Digital Tuner and Dolby Digital, or is a separate digibox and separate sound source better? Can I get both for £350ish?

Is it even worth getting a 28" w/s TV? is it too small?

so many questions........:confused:

8. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    john d ......lets just hope you get one without the dark patches ?? but sorry to say the law of averages say you will ,dont accept second best if your tv displays these patches demand an exchange and dont let these manufacturers get away with it !!!!!!!!

9. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wont Plumber. Ive already taken them to the trading standards once, and won. So I'd do it again, in no time!!!

John

10. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a shame the rest of us meek english consumers didnt adopt the same attitude with the manufacturers !!!!!!

11. CooLix

CooLix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Verdict so far on my 32ZT29B

No tilt. No patches. Colour OK (obviously after a number of adjustmets) but....yes...had to be a "but"... the geometry is totally out.

Dunno how they leave the factory like this. If you put the TV into service menu and put the grid on, what a mess.

My screen goes up at the top right and goes down at the bottom left. So, I imagine I will have hours of fiddling with the service and designer menus. The moire ( do they call it that on TV's?)on the red gun is slight out so I get a read shadow on some text screens. The red appears flared so that is probably down to the shadow effect.

Did anyone manage to get hold of a service manual for the strata TV's??

Another thing, I don't thing the rear external speakers will be "beefy" enough, but as yet..I haven't had a proper test.

Otherwise, happy. 1049 quid from BE Direct. Ain't bad, I suppose. Would have expected a alligned screen, but having worked on the bench repairing monitors a number of years ago, I know how geometery settings go when you physically move the monitor. Suppose it's the same for TV's.

Hope that helps.

P.S. IDTV is brill. Better reception with dodgy ariel and dodgy cable compared to my mates pana freeview box with new ariel and cable.

12. CooLix

CooLix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update on the 32ZT29B:

Just had the BBC 2 yellow logo on. The one with the big 2 wizzing around the place. Colour bleed bottom right and on the left hand side. Pale yellow in these areas instead of a uniform yellow.

Phone call to the shop one thinks!!!

Weird, seems in the forum people are getting dark patches, I am getting light patches.