Any Ideas?Using Nvidia 6600 GT and Screen freezes when playing games

B

Billys Bones

Every time I play a game the screen freezes and there is a 'stuck' noise. Sometimes this happens almost immediately, sometimes after an hour. If I leave the computer alone it freezes very quickly. Cannot use CTRL ALT DEL to end the programme and have to Hard boot my PC every time.

I don't think it's overheating as it is well ventilated and I have an external fan blowing directly onto it.

The problem does not occur when doing anything else on the computer, so I'm guessing there's a problem with the card?

If anyone has any ideas or solutions i'd be grateful.

Thanks

booyaka

Any ideas what temps you are getting on your card?

It sounds like an overheating issue?
Get some temp monitoring software - NVlogger (something like that!)

If i doesn't lock up in windows etc but only when gaming then it sounds heat related?

Do you have the stock cooler on - or an aftermarket cooler?

B

Billys Bones

Got a monitor for the temperature and it is nowhere near the threshold. At it s hottest it's well under 100

Maybe it's a power supply problem?

My friend thinks it may be memory related?

booyaka

could be a psu related issue.

Best thing i can suggest is use a friends psu for a few hours and see if the same thing happens?
Also might be a just a general memory (onboard the gfx) card failing of something.

Try isolating each compenent and running for a few hours and see what happens

S

Sarah Nya

This sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with my 6800GT, I'm getting a new case and fans soon so I'll let you know if thats what the problem was.