Any ideas if the hitachi 4dpd9700 can take analogue through HDMI ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by pezley, May 1, 2007.

1. pezley

pezley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    just a quick q, anyone know if this panel will take a analogue signal over the hdmi socket ?because its VGA input is pants i want to run the 360 into dvi then to hdmi ( i am fully aware it wont be a digital hdmi image ) but need to know if it will take analogue.

also, anyone else notice how flat its vga quality is ? component is ace as is hdmi but vga is weak compared to my old LG

2. badkarma

badkarma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Do you mean connect the VGA cable to the Xbox360 use a converter cable or adapter to give you a DVI connection then use a DVI<>HDMI cable or adapter connect to the HDMI port of the screen ? If so then no it won't work.

Take it your using the component input for another source.

3. pezley

pezley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    that was exactly what i was thinking ! shame on it not working tho :( any reason why ?

no, i have plenty of components free via my amp its just i wanted to use VGA for the pal dvd upscaling which needs VGA, yet on this tv the vga input is awfully soft, PC or 360, yet component and hdmi are lovely. so bunging it into HDMI would allow upscaling and also use the lovely hdmi imput.No idea why the VGA is worse tho.

4. badkarma

badkarma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    HDMI is digital only and uses DVI (or a variant of it) to send picture info to the screen.

Don't get too hung up on up-scaling, your screen will do it with component and maybe better than the xbox !

From the looks of it the xbox won't scale to the native res of your screen 1024x1080i (optimum res i.e. no scaling done by the screen). This means that if you scaled to 1280x768 for example the screen would still need to scale to fit it's fixed number of pixels. Maybe best to let the screen do all the scaling in one go :)

5. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    The xbox is a rubbish DVD player, VGA wouldn't have solved that

6. trickytree123

trickytree123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VGA performance from 360/PC with this display is curious, as the VGA performance from a Dreamcast (far fewer pixels, I know) is extremely good - bright, crisp and detailed.

I'd have expected all sources to be either good or bad!

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It's never simple in the world of AV. It seems some screens are born to use the VGA lead for 360 connection, some must use component. Lot's of LG screens don't even give a picture with the VGA lead, clearly there's something a little odd with VGA. Unless there is a compelling reason not to use component, try it. HDMI is indeed DVI-D, ie digital only. You need a port marked DVI-I to use analogue.