Any idea how different stereo performance between NAD 315BEE and Sony STR-DB840 might be?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brodel, Feb 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Brodel

Brodel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,

I currently have a NAD 315BEE stereo amp but I would like to add a subwoofer. The NAD doesn't support one so I'm looking at buying a new amp/reciever.

I realise stereo amps are always recommended for stereo music, but does anyone know how much better or worse stereo sound might be if I were to buy a Sony STR-DN840?

I can't afford to upgrade without selling my NAD and like the idea of the option to upgrade to 5.1 in the future so the Sony looks like a good buy at £200.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    Audio in association with AV receivers is generally considered inferior to the audio you'd get from a dedicated stereo integrated amplifier. It is said that you need to spend in the region of three times the cost of a stereo amp on an AV receiver to match it in terms of its stereo audio performance.

The Sony will fall well short of your NAD in terms of its stereo audio performance.

In only wanting to use an AV receiver so that you can add a subwoofer then reconsider and look at either buying speakers with better bass handling capabilities for use with your existing amp or look at using a passive as opposed to active subwoofer. Many active subs also allow you to make high pass connections from a conventional amplifier's speaker terminals without the need for a dedicated sub pre out.

3. Brodel

Brodel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the informative reply, I appreciate it. Do you think that something like a Cambridge Audio S90 would be suitable? I'm on a fairly tight budget so can't spend a lot more.
    With regards to high pass connections, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. I've had a look online at the S90 and all it seems to say when High-Pass frequency is mentioned is N/A?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    Look for speaker terminal connections and or a Neutrik connector on the rear of an active sub. Such connections allow you to connect the subwoofer to an amplifier's conventional speaker outputs. All of BK's subs fascilitate this.

BK Subwoofers:
    Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

[​IMG]

The Wharfdale SW150 also fascilitates a high pass connection from an amplifier's speaker terminals:
    Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND SW150 SUBWOOFER (BLACK)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014