Question Any help appreciated...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by David1980, Jul 1, 2015.

1. David1980

David1980
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a beginner with projectors at the minute, but have a dilemma and would appreciate any advice...

I have 3 boys, all of whom play on their PS4s. We (they) want projector setups in their bedrooms, so my query is this...

What kind of PJ do I need? I'm seeing DLP, LCD etc but unsure about our requirements.
    Also, whilst having to purchase 3 of them, I'm also keen to find best possible quality at beest possible pricing, obviously.

Any info or model suggestions please ?

Thanks in advance, David.

2. cmclean

cmclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Hi whats your budget for each one as that would also help?

3. David1980

David1980
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it varies massively from what I've seen already, I think around £100-150 each for the PJ's if possible...

I understand screen etc will be extra, my main concern really is to not be disappointed with quality...I'm happy to upgrade in the near future, we just really want to get started on larger screen gaming for now.

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    You won't get a 1080p projector worth having for less than the mid £400's and that will be an Optoma HD141x as a starting point.

Optoma HD141X Full HD 3D 1080p Projector: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Ultra short throw pj (not full hd like the 141x)
    Optoma GT760 Short Throw 3D Ready HD DLP Projector: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Anything less would need to be used or a really cheapo none known maker where the quality will be suspect.

You can project onto a decent flat light coloured painted wall to save some money.

The projector will need to be placed either around ceiling height (upside down or 2-3ft from the ground (right way up) at a distance of 10ft min from teh screen/wall to get a screen size of around 80-90" diagonal. If you can get further back (11-14ft) you can get 100-120" image size.

There are other Optoma machines that have very short throw lenses so you can get big 100" screens from 4-6ft distance from the screen if needed but these will also cost more than £400.

Some of these pj's have small speakers inside but really you need at least an amplifier and two speakers to get anything like quality sound. If you have a soundsytem in your room you can usually connect to that to get some decent quality sound rather than relying on any inbuilt speakers inside the pj.

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    If you need to stick with £150-200 and want a decent quality image that will get you a used Optoma/BenQ DLP or Epson LCD either 720p/1080p around 2-3yrs old the trouble is unless it has low hours use (500/1000hrs max) you will have no warranty and a new bulb will set you back £80-120 at some stage so if possible buy new or a pj that is almost new.

6. David1980

David1980
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks...

The 141 looks decent...

Definately have to spend more for quality then.

What is it with the cheaper options? Are they not as bright, or responsive (for gaming), or have low life expectancy etc ?

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    What size image do you want , how big are the bedrooms ?

8. David1980

David1980
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The rooms vary from 3 to 4 metres in length (width is nearly the same so not an issue I'm guessing) and was hoping for anything from 60" to 100-120 ish if possible.

9. David1980

David1980
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I think 80 - 90 would still be more than acceptable.

10. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    maybe better to get them a 50/60" tv, so no need for projection screen or the cabling and they can also use it for TV !!

11. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    as mentioned your budget is too small, you may well find a projector for £300-£500 each but then you have to add projection screen , ceiling mount and fitting so hits £1000 per room very quickly.

Also you need to consider the audio (sound) part as projectors dont generally have appropriate speakers

12. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    A 50" tv for each room would be the cheapest option as you can get them now for £300-400 and they can be used in rooms with ambient light with good results unlike pj's that need a room with good light control. You may even get a 60" LCD tv for under £600 like the one below.

Buy Sharp LC60LE651LMK2 60 Inch Full HD Freeview HD 3D TV at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Televisions, Limited stock Technology, Televisions and accessories.

I will say though that nothing comes close for WoW factor than watching movies or playing games on a 90"+ screen.

Where are you based you may find a forum member will show you their setup so you can see just how good a projector can look.

I am in the west midlands if that's any good too you.