Any heavy metal fans out there?

It took a long time, but I finally i am getting into NIGHTWISH. Maybe not exactly heavy metal, more Symphonic metal.
The lead singer Floor Jansen is an amazing singer, what a range she has. Some simply stunning songs, the better ones, IMHO are all epic in every sense, Ghost Love Score, Greatest Show on earth and my favourite Poet and Pendulum
Absolutley huge band particularly in Europe but they do sell out huge gigs all over world

It took a long time, but I finally i am getting into NIGHTWISH. Maybe not exactly heavy metal, more Symphonic metal.
The lead singer Floor Jansen is an amazing singer, what a range she has. Some simply stunning songs, the better ones, IMHO are all epic in every sense, Ghost Love Score, Greatest Show on earth and my favourite Poet and Pendulum
Absolutley huge band particularly in Europe but they do sell out huge gigs all over world

That's an epic song. Like the mix of heavy guitar riff and orchestral contribution. Drummer gets a good workout too :) This music appeals to my prog rock taste. Very interesting composition with the mix of styles. If their other stuff is similar I'll listen to more.

Check out the album Once with Tarja Turenen on lead vocals.
If you like Nightwish you may also like Within Temptation. :)

Check out the album Once with Tarja Turenen on lead vocals.
If you like Nightwish you may also like Within Temptation. :)
I struggle a little with Tarja singing at times, just a little too operatic for me. having said her newer solo work is much rockier. In fact I am going to see her in concert next year. I had tickets for march 2020 but due to Covid it was postponed and again in 2021. Hopefully 2022 should be OK.
Anette is probably the weaker of the 3 singers, but again her solo rock stuff is decent

Within Temptation are OK, but I prefer epic songs and Nightwish deliver that in spades, with the 3 songs I mentioned above. I will try Within Temptation again, just need to get in right mood for them I guess

Not a big fan of symphonic metal in general... although i have a soft spot for Therion from years before... but that's about it. And with woman vocalists - i prefer them a bit 'dirtier' :) - Johanna Sadonis from Lucifer (recently with legendary Nicke Andersson) and Jennie-Ann Smith from Avatarium... below some links :) Enjoy!

I struggle a little with Tarja singing at times, just a little too operatic for me. having said her newer solo work is much rockier. In fact I am going to see her in concert next year. I had tickets for march 2020 but due to Covid it was postponed and again in 2021. Hopefully 2022 should be OK.
Anette is probably the weaker of the 3 singers, but again her solo rock stuff is decent

Within Temptation are OK, but I prefer epic songs and Nightwish deliver that in spades, with the 3 songs I mentioned above. I will try Within Temptation again, just need to get in right mood for them I guess
Try the older Within Temptation albums.. Mother Earth, Silent Force & Heart of Everything.

Also worth checking out are After Forever (Floor's previous band) and Leaves Eyes

Talking of Nightwish. Did anyone see the live stream they did over the weekend? The band were clearly having fun, but Marko's vocals were missed. Also the akward silences between sounds and the lack of fan interaction were definitely things that needed thinking about.

Try the older Within Temptation albums.. Mother Earth, Silent Force & Heart of Everything.

Also worth checking out are After Forever (Floor's previous band) and Leaves Eyes

Talking of Nightwish. Did anyone see the live stream they did over the weekend? The band were clearly having fun, but Marko's vocals were missed. Also the akward silences between sounds and the lack of fan interaction were definitely things that needed thinking about.
Never saw it unfortunately. Do you remember who was on Bass duties

I keep coming back to Wolf People, a great band with a historical/folk flavour.

'The Silent Force' was the WT album I started with - still a good listen today. I supposed to be seeing them with Evanescence at some point - no idea when, been postponed twice, maybe three times already. Maybe one day (be the first time I've seen either band)

Hey all, Wondering if there are any good venues for listening to metal/hard rock in Berkshire/London. Was going to start a thread, but thought who better than the folk on this thread? 😀

Hey all, Wondering if there are any good venues for listening to metal/hard rock in Berkshire/London. Was going to start a thread, but thought who better than the folk on this thread? 😀

Do you mean gigs, clubs or just bars? Black Heart in Camden is a great pub if you want to hear metal over the speakers with your pint.

Got this CD through the post today - guys from America sounding like Motorhead but with these weird 'satanic' undertones :) Decent sounding - not groundbreaking in anyway but pleasant on ear

Got this CD through the post today - guys from America sounding like Motorhead but with these weird 'satanic' undertones :) Decent sounding - not groundbreaking in anyway but pleasant on ear

Just looked them up on youtube as the song you posted seems to be an intro/instrumental track. The track I came across sounded a bit like Midnight (Ohio band, think Venom/Motorhead) which is no bad thing so will explore further.

Sorry - i thought it would link the whole album playlist (it's split into individual tracks), not the first track only (which is as you say more like an intro). Hope that after 'further exploration' it's up to your liking :)

Cheers
f.

I'm having a morning of hard rocking given the weather here is very stormy with 30mph winds. The garden can wait.

You can't get much rockier than Grand Funk Railroad.

They were a super band from the late 60s to early 70s. Unfortunately they become wimps when they totally changed styles and morphed into grand funk.

They also had a brilliant lead in Mark Farner.

For the initiated don't miss this outfit, esp the very very hard rocking live album. It's one of the very best.

Where should people start? Go for the trunk of funk cd. boxset. I've got that and the live bonus tracks are excellent.

Original vinyl sounds better though. As it usually does.

Last edited:
Ahhh... true that. Their classic (in my opinion) Red Album... with the opening sounds you can tell it's something special :)

I've discovered them few years back (probably just before my first daughter was born - so around 14 years) and got immediately hooked up. Almost bought the 'Trunk of Funk' 12cd's green box-set - but chickened out because of the price :( now it's even more expensive :(

Yup - it's not very metal :) but as i say to my kids - you need to know your elders (and if you don't like it - at least respect'em :)

Cheers
f.

I bought their live album original vinyl in a market in Exeter about 40 years ago. I'd never heard of them but when saw the photo of them going crazy with mountains of amps behind them I have it a go. It cost a quid.

But that rational doesn't always work does it? I vividly remember buying the first doobie brothers album based it's cover. The band all look like hard rocking pie men who all wear tin underpants(tinpanters) . I magine my surprise when I actually played that album?

Anyways, Heavy metal what's that?
Motorhead and acdc certainly aren't heavy metal. Neither are sabbath.
Out of all the genres this one is the hardest to define. Do people mean grinding riffs or sledgehammer bass and drums?
I'm listening to the live version of paranoid now and there's are fewer heavier tracks than this.
Its just a title and we all hear different things.
Such a pity that GFR changed their direction.

Yes the red album is one of their best along with closer to home and I'll add On Time to that list of favourites. Hang let's just have all their first 6 albums on my faves list.

RE the trunk of funk. Isn't it in two parts that's split between their early GFR albums and then another box with their later wimpy GF albums.
I've got the part 1 box with their first 6 albums. I can't remember what it cost. I would never get the part two box.
The trunk of funk vol 1 is £25 on Amazon at present. A bargain and less than I paid at HMV when it came out.

Last edited:
Oh don't even start me on genres. Some of the promos I'm sent have what must be made up genres

Oh don't even start me on genres. Some of the promos I'm sent have what must be made up genres
Hehe... that's true... as i'm tagging all my ripped cd's by myself it's usually only Heavy Metal, Rock and Hard Rock (i don't split it any further as madness lays that way) and in my Heavy Metal it's anything from Sabbath to Immortal, from Megadeth to Iron Maiden to Gojira and Life Of Agony :)

And of course there's a smattering of other ones which are probably not as aligned with this thread as the ones above (Jazz anyone :)

Out of all the genres this one is the hardest to define. Do people mean grinding riffs or sledgehammer bass and drums?
I'm listening to the live version of paranoid now and there's are fewer heavier tracks than this.
Its just a title and we all hear different things.
Such a pity that GFR changed their direction.
Well - that's true and i'd be the last to put bands into boxes (try squeezing King Gizzard & Lizard Wizard into one genre i dare you :) but it's easier to communicate if some general... hmm... conventions are being adhered to... and hence my comment that GFR are probably good bit outside 'Metal' at least in my book :)

Cheers and happy listening!
f.

These are 3 of the first bands I really got into in the early 80's. I wouldn't really class AC/DC or Motorhead as heavy metal either, despite them having a mostly heavy metal fan following back in those days. I would have thought most metal fans would count Sabbath as the inventors and godfathers of it though.

No idea if they've been posted but classic albums. Plus, a touch of Phantasm!

Don't think you'd see this crowd at many concerts:

Ha! One of my favourite covers of all time - Left Hand Path... what an album!

These are 3 of the first bands I really got into in the early 80's. I wouldn't really class AC/DC or Motorhead as heavy metal either, despite them having a mostly heavy metal fan following back in those days. I would have thought most metal fans would count Sabbath as the inventors and godfathers of it though.
I probably wouldn't give credit as inventors to a single band myself but definitely Sabbath was the pointy end of the Heavy Metal stick so to speak :) Tip of the Spear baby! :D

f.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom