Any heavy metal fans out there?

Listened to Van Halen, Fair Warning and 5150 yesterday, Van Halen was my favourite, will be listening to 1984 today.

For me 'Ain't Talking 'Bout love' is a masterclass, so simple, but such an awesome riff and tune, always loved it. Eddie's guitar sound and style was completely recycled by many guitarists in the eighties, but given this was back end of the 70's, I don't think I appreciated how influential Eddie was back then, as I preferred other bands by the time I got into rock late 80's..

1984 was my first introduction to Van Halen, with the 3 singles and videos grabbing my attention in that era (Jump, Panama & Hot For Teacher). I loved 0u812 as I spend ages trying to learn a lot of the guitar parts.

His playing was so inventive even after the first album and he was unmistakable in his tone and style. How cool was it that as a follow up to Eruption, he did an acoustic piece on VH II rather than Eruption Mk2 !!

The intro to Mean Streets is brilliantly mad, and Cathedral is also very creative making the guitar sound like an organ.

I was jamming a few of his riffs in his honour last night !

And it's not looking likely he'll reconsider...

And it's not looking likely he'll reconsider...

Wow. Really like Fear Factory. Let's see who they bring in on vocals for touring duties in 2021 or whenever.....weirdly I'm sitting here typing this out wearing a FF Obsolete t-shirt.

One of my huge regrets is not going to see FF on the 'Demanufacture' tour in 96 at the Kentish Town Forum. My pals and I were out for a Saturday afternoon trape round London one day and happened to be in Kentish Town, saw the advertisement for it but for some reason didn't buy a ticket (probably didn't have enough pocket money for it - more than likely had already spent it on another gig ticket). Gutted I never went to that show, and then had to kick myself with the other foot when I didn't go to the 20th anniversary show at the same venue in 2015! :facepalm:

seen FF doing demanufacture two years ago (i think - not sure now) - cracking show.... even though burtons voice was almost gone.... but 'zero signal' my god what a track :D

shot in the dark... .ahaha - couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear while listening to it - not all is bad in the world if ac-dc are releasing new album :D

cheers
m.

This turns 20 today

1602962062671.png

keep rollin rollin rollin...... :D
ahhaha - good times...

Last edited:
Hehe, terrible title and artwork, but good fun, played Significant Other boatloads back in the day..

Today my guest are Brian Johnson & Angus Young from the greatest band of all time AC/DC.

I don't even know what to say about this except that it's absolutely a dream come true.

The guys sit down with me for their 1st ever podcast and talk all things AC/DC. Back In Black, Brian's audition, Angus Young's favorite Gibson SG, the Songwriting process and of course their brand new crushing record Power Up produced by the great Brendan O'Brian out Nov 13th.

This Record is going to blow your mind and yes Cliff Williams and Phil Rudd are back in the band and handling the Rhythm Guitar is Stevie Young.

I can't thank AC/DC, Kim Harris and Jay Schumer of Sony Music enough.I will never forget this day.

DDR

Today I continue my AC/DC celebration with a very rare interview with the man on the Bass guitar since 1977 Mr Cliff Williams.

Cliff joined right after the recording of Let There Be Rock and has been in the band ever since. I always wanted to talk to Cliff about stuff like the recording of Powerage, The Let There Be Rock Film and his life before AC/DC.

Cliff and I also talk all about the new AC/DC record Power Up which comes out Nov 13th. I hope you guys love this episode as much as I loved doing it.

Have a great day and keep the Candles Lit.

DDR

Last edited:
I am just listening to Budgie Squawk. This is one of my very favourite Budgie albums. I'm at dsd128 original vinyl rip. Young is a world is on at present. What a song this. I put this as being almost as good as the seminal, Parents. BS really sings beautifully on this track. His voice could sound so pure when he wanted.
Then there's the really lovely intricate guitar work from TB. Some of best work comes on squawk.
A wonderful album from a wonderful band.
I just had to play parents. Wow what a piece of music. I got this album for a quid. Many many years ago.
Whereas, I had to pay silly money for an original pressing of their debut album

I am just listening to Budgie Squawk. This is one of my very favourite Budgie albums. I'm at dsd128 original vinyl rip. Young is a world is on at present. What a song this. I put this as being almost as good as the seminal, Parents. BS really sings beautifully on this track. His voice could sound so pure when he wanted.
Then there's the really lovely intricate guitar work from TB. Some of best work comes on squawk.
A wonderful album from a wonderful band.
I just had to play parents. Wow what a piece of music. I got this album for a quid. Many many years ago.
Whereas, I had to pay silly money for an original pressing of their debut album

Budgie were before my time so I've overlooked them in the past but I've been listening to some bits n pieces recently and have very much enjoyed some of it. Will check this album out.

Budgie were before my time so I've overlooked them in the past but I've been listening to some bits n pieces recently and have very much enjoyed some of it. Will check this album out.
Im too young to see the original band. You can't go wrong with their first 5 albums. After that things get very mixed with some truly atrocious albums. Their come back album, power supply is outstanding if you like the sledgehammer approach. Sadly that was their last decent album.
Also there's a brilliant gig in decent quality on YouTube from Sweden 99. They are really running hot.

Currently I just have the third album which I picked simply because I knew Breadfan from when Metallica covered it in the 80's. Other than that I just have an ep from 1980 so will probably just start from the beginning and work through the first five.

I'm just listening to Acdc let there be rock. The original vinyl with crapsody in blue. I remember buying this and being blown away
I was lucky to see them with BS and even though it was over 40 years ago I've never forgotten their performances.
The second gig at Sheffield Poly was electric. The great man was in full flow. I've just got goosebumps at the memory
Let there be rock is heavy rock perfection.
I only saw them with the squawking Johnson and they were just awful.
The latest album is laughable. It's just easy money for them and they've been raking it in for years. The river plate gig is so banal and the band look bored as they go through the motions.
As for the proper Acdc. Sublime.
BS is currently working his seedy magic on crapsody in blue. The Americans didn't like this one did they as they had it pulled forever.

@mark6226

As a kid, Let There Be Rock was my fave after Highway To Hell but of course as I grew older and I started to love all Bon Scott era records. As far as Brian era goes, I only really listen to For Those About to Rock at home and perhaps Back in Black if I'm testing some new stereo gear but the rest I can live with just hearing it down the pub. I was too young to see them with Bon but still think they put on a great show with Brian. I love the River Plate gig and saw them just the once at Hammersmith in 2003 when they re-opened it as the Carling Apollo. I thought they were absolutely fantastic!

Diamond Head returning the tribute 35 plus years later. I think they've done an absolutely splendid job.

Thankfully regardless of all the obsticles thrown in their path, bands and artists have still released some fantastic music in 2020.

I'm having a heavy session this morning with grand funk railroad. If you like hard quality hard rocking then try this gem of a band out. They changed in 72 to a more melodic style thats not to my taste. So only listen up to the 71 albums
The gfr live album remains one of the finest hard Rock Live albums of all time.
I'm currently listening to paranoid. It's a far cry from the song of the same name by BS. But it's a wonderful example of great rock.
After gfr it will be a bit of sweet, sweet fanny Adams, budgie and stray. Oh yes.

Last edited:
Like a bit of Grand Funk.....and do like some of their "funkier" stuff like Some Kind of Wonderful and Foot Stompin Music etc. I've only got a greatest hits of theirs on vinyl.

Like a bit of Grand Funk.....and do like some of their "funkier" stuff like Some Kind of Wonderful and Foot Stompin Music etc. I've only got a greatest hits of theirs on vinyl.
I like those tracks. Check out the live album from 70. The Cd box set trunk of funk vol 1 is outstanding
I think you'll really like their live album. They do a version of heartbreaker that just takes off at end.
Just to add. If you like their funkier stuff then take a listen to Mr limousine driver from the self titled 69 release. I'm listening now and it's a brilliant funk out.

Last edited:
I listening to master of reality at present. It's original vinyl ripped to my server.
I do like this album. It's a great rocker.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom