Any heavy metal fans out there?

Matt_C

Won a pair of tickets to an advanced screening of S&M2 on Saturday, ahead of its nationwide release on the 9th. I'd still rather see it with a room full of metal heads but I'm at a gig on the 9th so no can do, so this will have to do instead. Should have just enough time to squeeze it in and make it to work by 11:30 for a night shift!

TayWax

Distinguished Member
Writing could be on the wall for Metallica. You were lucky to see them when you did. With James entering rehab I would not be at all surprised to see them call it a day. I think a lot depends on how much Jane really wants to continue.
I personally would rather see them cut back on the touring and spend a bit more time in the studio anyway to be honest.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
I'm sure I read that they (Metallica) need to tour in order to keep paying the bills and keep the lights on! Its a big organisation with lots of employees who need paying. Touring is a sure fire way to bring in lots of cash as albums don't make money like they used to !

TayWax

Distinguished Member
Oh yeah, clearly the amount of touring they do is because of the money. I'm surprised that they wouldn't already have enough in the bank to just call it a day though.

Matt_C

Much as I don't want to, I have to admit I thought the same thing. One the one hand, James beat it once, so could beat it again. On the other, it might get to the point that he throws in the towel on touring as no doubt that's the strain on his commitment to sobriety. They've already cut back significantly on touring: whilst they do tour consistently, they don't do more than 50 dates a year, never do back to back dates, alway have two weeks off every couple months, etc.

Matt_C

I wouldn't say an anti-climax. Ok, so not amazing if you're in the UK, but Metallica have announced they'll play 5 US festivals next year, and headline each of them twice. That's unprecedented, I think. And then, to top it off, they'll do a unique set each night, so you get 10 different sets over 5 weekends in 5 different cities/states. Pretty impressive if you ask me (but then I'm a fanboi so I would say that).

This is, of course, hinging on James being out of rehab and happy/fit to work

Lostsoul 301281

Guessing that's to do with the release of S&M2 in the theaters?
I went to see S&M2 last night.
My thoughts;
You could tell the difference between the original, Michael Kamen orchestral arrangements and arrangements made for the new songs.
Kamen was a genius who knew how to work in and around the existing music rather than just follow what was already there.
That being said, and this is probably more to do with improvements in sound quality and possibly different selection of instruments this time around, some of the old S&M stuff sounded slightly different, with certain parts being emphasised more.
However, the orchestral arrangements for Master of Puppets was butchered!
Instead of playing the same arrangements as the original S&M as they did with other songs from the original, the composer/conductor had the orchestra play something different and just plain awful.
The orchestra just followed exactly what the band were playing and it sounded so boring.

There were a couple of seemingly unnecessary moments half way through which just didn't gel for me.
The inclusion of All Within My Hands was... interesting.
The Unforgiven 3 was one of the highlights, as well as a certain instrumental which was fantastic.

I went into this not knowing Michael Kamen died in 2003, so didn't know why Metallica didn't have him back.

I don't follow much of Metallicas live stuff any more.
Mainly because Lars' drumming is getting worse as the years go on.
There were times when he seemed to be speeding up, or basically not being able to keep a consistent time. And the extra snare hits during the halfway point in One which he's been doing for the past few years just makes his drumming seem even more sloppy.

Overall sound was great, although sometime the low ends seemed a bit over powering, and the bass guitar was at time too prominent. Which is ironic when you remember ...And Justice For All.

Final verdict.
A pretty decent follow up, but some of the arrangements could have used work to sound more interesting.

Last edited:

mikeysthoughts

Aaaaaaand, I'm back. Nearly 11,000 miles and 20-odd hours in the air, San Francisco conquered! What an amazing thing - absolutely loved it. Amazing show, amazing venue, and more importantly, amazing people - I met so many people from all over the world, complete strangers but one big Metallica family: even with language barriers everyone was just so nice and like old friends within minutes. From high-fiving random strangers in the street, purely because they're wearing Metallica t-shirts, to talking to people in the merch queue, the Hard Rock Cafe, even on the boat to Alcatraz! What a wonderful thing the metal community is.

As for the show, it was just fantastic. The venue is lovely, and that American politeness and professionalism put the event staff at any London venue I've been to to shame. The stage, sound, lights, everything was faultless. Our seats were amazing - we were on the wheelchair access deck at the top of level one, so a completely clear, unobstructed view. The band, and orchestra were just top notch - not surprising really: the SFSO is one of the best symphony orchestra's in the world, and Metallica goes without saying. Once in a lifetime event, and so utterly worth the time and money spent realising it.

View attachment 1193656

I saw an email about that yesterday, and has piqued my interest. Might have to trot along to that one
I'm glad to hear this was a good gig. I went to see it in the cinema on Friday and the sound was so bad we left after 15 mins.

I'll pick up the disc on release.

Lostsoul 301281

New machine lyrics are just embarrassing. Worse than supercharger days
I heard the new song the other day and thought it was just awful! Both lyrically and musically. Like The Burning Red bad.
I’ve only heard one song from the previous album, but after The Blackening and Unto the Locust it’s a shame to see Machine Head go down hill like this.

And what happened to the rest of the band?
I know there was some kind of reunion thing for Burn My Eyes, but what happened after that?
Where’s Phil Demmel and Dave McClain?
I know Adam Duce left/was kicked out sometime after The a Locust tour, but what about the other two?

Guess the music reflects the lineup change.

Matt_C

I'm glad to hear this was a good gig. I went to see it in the cinema on Friday and the sound was so bad we left after 15 mins.

I'll pick up the disc on release.
Sorry to hear that. I must have got really lucky then, as the place we saw it sounded great. I was expecting it to be poor, as most cinemas are that I go into these days (usually too loud, way too much mid, far too much up front) but it sounded great to me. Wasn't a cinema though, was a private screening too in a London hotel, so possibly why it was better than expected.

I heard the new song the other day and thought it was just awful! Both lyrically and musically. Like The Burning Red bad.
I’ve only heard one song from the previous album, but after The Blackening and Unto the Locust it’s a shame to see Machine Head go down hill like this.

And what happened to the rest of the band?
I know there was some kind of reunion thing for Burn My Eyes, but what happened after that?
Where’s Phil Demmel and Dave McClain?
I know Adam Duce left/was kicked out sometime after The a Locust tour, but what about the other two?

Guess the music reflects the lineup change.
Phil and Rob had a falling out (to be fair, it had been brewing for a while by the sounds of it - Phil was just unhappy in his job, and his role in the band, like the others, really was just a "job") so he walked, and Dave went with him. Dave's playing with Sacred Reich now, not sure what Phil's up to, although he did sit in for Gary Holt on Slayer's tour recently. Missed a clinic he (Phil) did in Camden a few weeks back, which was a shame as I'd liked to have gone to that.

Matt_C

In other news, Babymetal's third album ("Metal Galaxy") is released today

Follow up - bit disappointing really. The crushing metal side of it has been dialled out and now sounds more like a metal version of Skrillex, and the vocals have lost that perfect juxtaposition cuteness and are just fairly pop-y now. Shame, I genuinely liked the first two records.

timus

Saw S&M2 on Saturday at my local cinema and loved it great setlist some songs worked better than others but all in all i thought it was great. The solo was awesome great that they included it and was so different from the first film, sounded great as well. Seeing James perform without a guitar in his hands was weird not sure he knew what to do with his hands lol!

I look forward to seeing it again on the home release.