1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any HDTV Sources available?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Technophobe, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I regularly Read the American AVS Forums and often here them talk about High Definition TV, but they never seem to mention where they get it from. Is it Cable or Satellite perhaps?
    I’ve recently purchased a sharp 9000 so I’m itching to have a go just to see what it can really do.
    Is HCPC the way to go perhaps?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Technophobe: HiDef tv is braodcast in the US on Terrestrial aerials and through satellite. It is not widespread and I believe the cable companies are still fighting about how they are going to impliment this.

The only sources for HDTV over here would be imported HiDef tapes or video games. Some XBOX and GameCube titles are encoded in HiDef. Upscaling standard Definition TV to higher resolutions will not give you as high a quality as the original feeds.

A HiDef TV network called HDNet have plans to sell films on HDVideoTape in 1080i format as soon as the latest JVC Digital VCR's come out. I presume this is because they are adding some form of copy protection to their outputs. The decks are likely to be around $1000. Not sure about the tapes though.

I check out the HDNET web site every few days to see if there are more announcements. When there are you can bet I'll be telling folk. I have a client who can't wait!

Gordon

3. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon.
    But what does the 1080i bit mean?
    The Sharp supports “DTV 480i/480P/720P/1080i”

On a different subject, I’ve ordered a copy of the AVIA Calibration DVD but have noticed it's in NTSC format. Will the calibration still be correct when playing PAL DVD’s and how will this disk help me set the colour balance over the full range other than by eye?

Best regards

Technophobe

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The i BIT means it's "interlaced" the p bit means it's "progressive". If you need to know difference between both click on the button at top of page for "Official Forums Of" and go to www.progressive scan.co.uk

AVIA has coloured filters and colour bar patterns to help you set up colour. It also has patterns for settig greyscale but you really need a measuring device to do that.

If your DVD player has it's black ire set to 0 rather than 7.5 then you should be fine with brightness and contrast settings. If you do the calibration using an RGB input from the TV then you wont need to worry about the black level issue anyway.

Avia has nice help screens to guide you through what each pattern is for. Have fun.

Gordon

5. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Will this kill off DVD in the states? I suppose it depends on prices although I expect the tapes will be higher due to the enhanced quality. You still have the problem of tape wear, bulk and having to fast forward or rewind it to the place you want. Sounds good though.

One question I have is this.. Does HDTV still use the NTSC standard but with more lines? Or is a new system completely.

7. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the article yesterday - yep, this could be the next big thing! I looked around for some more info, look at jvc's us site, they've got a link to a rather simplistic d-vhs area.

Rigman, basically D-VHS is a digital tape, like DV camcorders, using variable MPEG2 compression like DVD and sky. The D-VHS difference is the max no of lines (resolution/pixels/dots....) at the highest quality is 1080, which is double DVD! This should make a huge difference with screen sizes above say 32". It will still have NTSC/PAL formats, like DVD/sky/DV cams. I think the uk JVC player copes with NTSC playback, like most modern analogue VHS(es).

What's interesting is (a) how quickly the films turn into reality, and (b) what their street cost will be. If they get released this summer, as suggested, with a relatively small premium over DVDs it could spark a format change frenzy
    :eek:

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi-def D-VHS sounds like a waste of time to me. The machines are £££s and standard D-VHS has been a flop so far. Besides, who wants to go back to collecting (expensive to buy) films on tape?

The big question is when we are likely to see Hi-def DVD? I think sooner than you might think. I heard somewheres that the film studios already scan the films in hi-def format.

Besides, the film studios need to add value if they want to carry on selling films at £15+, and hi-def would do that. It would also help combat piracy.

The problem comes down to storage. Double layered DVDs hold about 10Gig, which is too small for Hi-Def. In theory DVDs can have more layers, but in practice I think the manufactures want to avoid this (too expensive to make the disks?)

This gives them 2 choices:
    1) Lower (effective) encoding rate with much higher resolution
    2) Film on 2 or more disks

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The reason for tape rather than disk is VERY simple, DVHS exists today and has been on the market for some time. HD DVD technology exists in the labs, but it will be years before anything happens. Even then hollywood has to give its blessing and support any new format. DVHS releases will be very low key and you may not even be able to buy them in regular shop, as such they are no threat to the current DVD bandwagon. IMHO Hollywood doesn't want a HD DVD format

Jeff

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In no way will this kill off DVD in the states or anywhere else for that matter. As I've said over at AVS, my belief is that this will hinder and delay the introduction of HD-DVD.

This is being pushed as a niche market product such as Laser Disc (with prices to match). A stop gap if you will untill HD-DVD arrives.

Of course, in the meantime, the studio's will reap the benifits of even more profits from pre-recorded D-VHS while the manufacturers will have yet another new piece of hardware to sell. Hence my assumption that this will hold up HD-DVD until D-VHS runs out of steam.

Eric

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Some info from dvdreview...

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment, DreamWorks Home Video and Artisan Entertainment have announced plans to join hardware manufacturer JVC in the release of several films on the new Digital-VHS format.
    The format launched by JVC has the ability to record HDTV to tape. Like all cassette based medias however, the format has the drawbacks inherent of tape. Warner Brothers Home Entertainment and Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment have publicly denounced the format claiming it will hurt the blossoming DVD market.
    Die Hard, Independence Day, X-Men, U-571 and the Terminator films will be the first experiments with the format. The D-VHS players will show up later this year from JVC with a retail price of $1,995.00.

12. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using Victor 35000 D-VHS player with 11HT projector.

Well, my uncle sends me about 15~20 recorded D-VHS tapes every month from Japan. :) (BS Hi-Vision, Japan)

The the picture quality of 1080i on 11HT is amazing. :eek:
    I now have about 57 tapes, and I watch them everyday. :)
    I really wish you, British guys were bit quicker to catch up with HD standard broadcasting.
    But I now know that HD is not gonna happen in this country.
    no hope. :(

The negative thing about this HD source is that once you watch them, you DO NOT WANT to watch any of DVD titles.
    Picture quality of every single DVD tiltle just look crap after you see HD standard picture. :(
    Theoretically HD is about 2~3 times better picture than todays DVD standard, but feel about 10 times better.
    no exaggeration at all.

BTW, I've heard somewhere that HD-DVD will be introduced sometime next year.
    A bit quicker than I expected. Anyone else heard news on upcoming HD-DVD? I just can't wait to get my hands on HD-DVD. :D

P.S. BTW, I really, really would love to know why British ppl have no intention of adopting HD standard broadcasting. Are those people gonna live with 575 lines PAL for rest of their lives, while most countries including America, Korea, Japan are developing into newer generations of picture quality & broadcasting and get to enjoy the new tech.?? I mean.. come on. Korea is going to broadcast worldcup 2002 in HD standard(1080i). And here in Britain, we're going to get to watch them in old fashioned crappy PAL picture.
    This may not mean much to some people, but means a lot to me. :(
    Well... no offence but this may be too much for some British people since official PAL progressive scan features are not even available. It's sad.

13. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD-DVD "in c*rrys down the road" will probably take years to materialise, like recordable CDs did. But D-VHS is here now. I read a review of the 1000 JVC machine in a Camcorder mag, and ignored it at the time - but I'll search it out now.

I reckon D-VHS will be to DVD what Laserdisc was(is?) to Video, superior but not that common. However, D-VHS has the record advantage, and access to Hi-Def material will be easily available via the net from , as zcaps57 said, everywhere but here!

Is the 3500 available to dealers in the UK, I'd like to get a demo?

14. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure about that.
    I bought the Victor HM-DH35000 in Korea during last Christmas time.(This one is successor to DH30000, and released in December as far as I know.)

You can see specs on different D-VHS models here :
    http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/D-VHS/index.html
    (You might need a translator if you can't read Japanese.)

15. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zcaps57 , I have been thinking about buying a DH35000 to use with my old vhs tapes and as a high-end comb filter for my laserdisc's. No, can you also watch PAL vhs on it? And can you record in S-VHS NTSC??

Thanks

-Mattias-

16. Moto

Moto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This about sums up why England isn't going to recieve HD-Anything...

D-VHS D-Theater software will be recorded in the HS mode at an incredible 28 Mbps data rate, surpassing even the 19 Mbps ATSC standard for HDTV broadcasts.

We don't have the bandwidth... look at ITV Digital it can't cope.

And could you imagine Sky paying to upgrade there sat's when the general British public still pay through the nose for Sky?? to reap the rewards. i don't think so.

I'm hoping on other europeans upgrading. That way multi sat owners may be able to recieve some type of HD broadcasts.

Andy

17. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Surely one of the problems it that they would rather carry 100 channels of rubbish, compressed to high heaven. Than maybe 25 channels of fat data streams ...

HEADRAT

18. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I hate to defend sky but :rolleyes: people were saying not so long back that sky would never broadcast in dolby digital and they then released the sky+ box.
    They need to keep up with the latest thing to keep peoples interest up and get / keep the customers.
    If other european countries start to introduce HDTV then sky will have no choice but to do the same. They will probably charge another £20 a month for it though.

Sky do not own the satellites. They rent the transponders from Astra

Darren

19. Moto

Moto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry my mistake i meant set's (STB's) not sat's. The sat's wouldn't (i assume) need upgrading because they are just sending a similar stream of data just more of it.

I don't believe the Sky+ boxes come with component? or VGA do they? Anyone know?

Andy

20. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't play/record PAL. But it plays/record normal NTSC S-VHS though.
    The good thing about this unit is that when one record HD or SD materials, one can actually select bitrate ranging from 4.1 Mbps up to 28.2 Mbps. (4.1 Mbps = about 24 hours per tape, 28.2 Mbps = about 4 hours per tape)
    This way one can actually record very good sources in a way Superbit DVDs are. (bitrate-wise that is.)
    Very interesting to play/watch with.

21. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    you could get one HD channel on DTT in the UK in one mux. But you'd lose so much quality programming. For example for just one HD channel of OAR movies, you might have to sacrifice these gems :p

Granada men and motors
    Granada plus
    UK Gold
    UK Style (also known as UK Changing Rooms)
    CBeebies

Surely its easily doable on satellite. If sky can have one widescreen movie channel, then surely they could have one HD channel.

All the TV manufacturers are now bringing out 'HD' sets, but with scaling hardware because the tubes are capable but the source is not. Are any of them supporting HD inputs (if any ever come along?)

22. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Ok, thanks for your answer. Now I have one more question.
    I know a Swedish HT magazine tested the little brother DH-10000 (?) and they said with some tricks you could record on regulary VHS/S-VHS tapes the digital signal, something you should have D-vhs tapes for. Do you know anything about this?

23. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True.

regular VHS/S-VHS tapes works without a problem. The unit records/stores digitally onto a tape anyway.
    You can use dedicated D-VHS tapes, but at the moement, I've never seen anyone using only dedicated D-VHS tapes over at Japan/Korea.
    8/10 I use normal VHS tapes as well. ;)

24. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the info, I will get one later this summer!!