Any HDD with DV (MJPEG) recording mode?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by EN, May 19, 2004.

1. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to replace my old S-VHS JVC 9700 VCR with HDD (with/without DVD-R), but I need DV recording mode for best editing possible. I tried Pioneer 5100 but editing isn't good enough for me. I want one or two standalone mashines rather than computer.
    JVC deck (HDD with S-VHS combo) has such mode.
    Do you know any other deck?
    Or in the near (3-4 months) future?

EN

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Hi

It is unlikely DVD decks will support DV recording in the near future or at all even though the hard-drives are becoming plenty big enough.

Your best option is to use a computer with todays models handling DV video very well.

Regards

Philip

3. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I took JVC HDD&S-VHS recorder for a test. I record TV and DV material and made some (a lot) editing.
    SO, HDD has DV mode which probable is MPEG 2 I-frame only at 25 MBits and the quality is top, no any flaw. Editing has 1 frame (exacly) accuracy, not like Pionner and so. There no need for "seemless" playback.
    I made playlists and recorded them on SONY GX7 via DV in at SP or higher mode. No visible loss in quality.
    Only I have toi buy 2 machines to do the work.
    And I think that the tuner of the JVC isn't good enough comparing to my old JVC 9700 S-VHS deck and SONY GX7. To much noise, and addind some digital artefacks later make the picture not so great.