Any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player with 7.1 analog audio output For True HD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by deerhunter09, Sep 18, 2007.

1. deerhunter09

deerhunter09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Am looking for an hd-dvd source at the moment and am struggling to fing any that include decoding of 7.1 Dolby True HD / DTS HD and outputting through analog ports as my receiver (Pioneer VSX-2011) has discrete inputs but not hdmi and i am reluctant to change it as its fantastic!

Was looking at the new toshiba HD-DVD players due out but they dont seem to have analog ports onlyTrue HD via hdmi?

Then there is the new Samsung BD-UP5000 dual player but reports say that will only output analog from Blue-Ray and not HD-DVD!

I would be happy just with HD-DVD for now and wait for blue-ray players to come down in price!

Also my collection of DVD's (Nearly 600 are mainly region 1 !!!!!!!!)

I am currently upscaling dvd's via a denon 1920 but only to 1080i so really want region 1 or multiregion if possible?

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I currently can think of only 2 7.1 discs in over 700 / 800? Bluray and HD DVD release (both low 'priority' discs) with one more advertised for future release this year (a goodie). The supply of 7.1 discs is likely to stay very low, how important is this to you?, as I know of no 7.1 analogue HD DVD players and very few Blu ray (the Panny is the only one on the market I can think of off hand). The manufacturers see any 7.1 support to be with HDMI primarily and not legacy analogue interfaces unfortunately. Some here may want analogue also but it is not how the suppliers of the hard ware see things, let alone the studios approach to 7.1. 7.1 mixing of films has dried up in the last few years.

3. deerhunter09

deerhunter09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So are you saying i should just hook up any new devices via optical or co-axial the same way as a normal DVD-Player and be happy with Dolby Digital EX soundtrack? What i probably meant was 6.1 analog output?

There are already 4 HD-Disks with True HD on so i think the 7.1 has thrown everyone and what i am looking for is 6.1 or 5.1 analog output!?

what i am trying to work out is how to get True HD Source from a new player into my Dolby Digital EX Amp via discreet analog inputs therefore not needing to upgrade the amp to one with HDMI 1.3?

Hope this makes more sense?

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    if you want 6.1 DD Ex or DTS Es discrete / matrix, the ONLY way is to hook up coax / toslink SPDIF running bitstream like DVD, as the players mostly deal with 'core' DD and DTS only (and not EX / Es) on the player (and some don't even do that!!). TrueHD does not mean 7.1 infact just about all of the releases in this format (and others are 5.1) currently I know of no Ex or discrete / matrix sound mixes on HD DVDs or Blu ray discs, as they are mostly using new formats or core DD / DTS. There might be the odd one but you get the drift. Most are dd+, DTD HD MA, PCM, TrueHd etc.

5. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    First I've heard of that.

Do you have a link?

Steve W

6. deerhunter09

deerhunter09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its ok sorry i am running too many ideas at once, its actually 1080p/24 for blue-ray only and not for hd-dvd side of the player rather than analog audio for just blue-ray! sorry!

Just to update what i am after is a HD-DVD Player that has built in TrueHD or DTS-HD decoding capability and analog 5.1 output to take it discreetly into my pioneer amp! - I Think!

I read that the new toshiba players will support TrueHD but will they decode it and output to analog 5.1 outputs assuming they have them?

As samsungs Combi player does not support 1080p/24 for HD-DVD would rather buy the tosh HD-DVD player for now with 1080p/24 support then buy a Blu-Ray later separately when prices come down.

also if i buy one uk player and the other format player from USA it will also solve my region 1 /2 DVD problem!

7. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    :confused:

I never heard that, either!

:confused:

Steve W

8. deerhunter09

deerhunter09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  9. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    I'm going to stick my neck out here.

I have an HD-E1 and a PS3.

I have no HDMI in, and neither has multi-channel analogue outs, so I'm stuck with optical digital.

The HD-E1 downscales all 'uber' soundformats to dts at 1.5mbps over optical. The PS3 downscales them to 640kbps.

I have to say the sound is absolutely terific.

There has been a post at the AVS forums from a Hollywood soundmixer saying, in his opinion, in normal listening conditions, to most listeners, you really won't be able to tell the difference between lossless LPCM and lossy DD+ at 1.5mps. He says he might find it difficult himself, even in a side-by-side test.

I have not been able to do a comparison myself. However, I am used to listening carefully to sound. I came to A/V from a stereo hi-fi background. I'm used to listening to stereo on a Linn turntable & Denon DVD-A/SACD player, Audiolab 8000A amp & Epos ES14 speakers, or an MF headphone amp + a pair of £180 BD 'phones.

In short, whilst not claiming to be an expert, I like, and am used to, very good SQ.

Believe me, I have never watched a BD at dts1.5mbps and found the sound to be in any way deficient. Indeed, I can say the same about sound from BDs at 640kbps.

There is an added advantage over 5.1 analogue outs. With these analogue outs you are effectively disabling your centre rear(s). I am not aware of any amp which will utilise your centre rears when the amp is switched to analogue in.

However, using digital in, your amp can process the 5.1 signal to come through the centre rears too, in a similar way to how they would in a properly set-up cinema.

Steve W

10. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    I'm 99% sure this is wrong, and has been corrected.

Check out the thread here for the Sammy:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612513

Somewhere in there I'm pretty sure you'll find an official Sammy spec sheet on pdf which confirms 1080p/24fps on both BD and HD DVD.

I'd look myself, but it's 22 pages long, and 9:50pm. Sorry.

Steve W

11. deerhunter09

deerhunter09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent Answer - So what your saying is buy any HD-DVD player that supports the new audio formats then set it to output the best DTS soundtrack possible down an optical cable for my amp to decode and spit out of 6.1 speakers, and due to higher bitrate than std DVD it will sound better!

Sorted i will buy the new Toshiba 3rd gen unless Samsung change the 1080p/24 HD-DVD support for its player.

Oh and what is the difference between the Samsung BDP-5000 and BD-UP5000?

12. -mc-

-mc-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  13. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    Yes, definitely. Some people may disagree, but that's my feeling/experience, and what the hollywood sound bloke said.

See the link now posted above. Don't know how long you'll have to wait for the Sammy. Personally, I'd be tempted to wait for a review, but that's your perogative.

Dunno, sorry.

Steve W

14. Cablechap

Cablechap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just a thought. If you still want to get some sound out of your rear centre(s) after taking a 5.1 analogue feed, you could always use the rear L+R preout from your amp and drive them through an old unused stereo amp, or use an old prologic amp set to 3 stereo and drive rear left, rear centre, and rear right directly....would need some setting up though.

15. charliecossie

charliecossie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    BTW, there is no multi-region DVD hack for any Toshiba HD-DVD player.

Only the European Panasonic and Samsung Blu-ray players can be hacked for multi-region DVD playback.

16. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    For 5.1 analogue outs on HD-DVD you have 2 options the upcoming samsung and the XE1. The samsung obviously has the advantage of being a dual format player. Only you can decide how important both formats are for you. Most smart folks expect dual to be the way of the future.

I can't really comment on the difference between 5.1 analogue vs toshlink output as i've not experianced both on the same setup. My personal opinion is as humans we're less sensitive to AQ than PQ, and for 99% of people on everyday setups DTS 1.5 output is probably great.

The other consideration to take is how important is DVD upscaling to you. As you say most of your discs are R1, no toshiba is hackable at present. The first gen samsung BD player was, so people are hopefull the dual player might be but time will tell. If you're big on dvd upscaling the XE1 and the samsung both have Reon processor which is one of the best chips around.

I personally have ordered the samsung and will decide after the reviews hit (will be in US first) if i keep the order or cancel it. I think dual is the only sensible way to go at present, either with two players or a true dual player, with owning 600 DVDs, you're going to want to buy both formats :)

17. deerhunter09

deerhunter09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys for the comments, i think i may go for the toshiba hd-dvd player but get an american version so that will cover all HD-DVD and 95% of my SD-DVD Collection!

looks like DTS 1.5 via optical is the way to go also!

Over the samsung if i bought the dual player i would have to get one from the states!