1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any hard disk recorders with ability to stream over ethernet?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by zoolap, Jul 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I hear one of the Kiss DVD players can access pcs via ethernet to play movies, mp3s etc. What would be really cool is if you had a hard disk recorder that, ffor example, you place in your front room and records programs and then for you to be able to access the hard disk via ethernet and watch from a pc in another room.

Anything like this coming soon? I heard something about a Kiss hard disk recorder - is this true?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    This is the 'future' - all the major companies are working on this at the moment. Microsofts/Panasonic's HighMAT (the ability to play .wma etc) is the first step and it will continue from there. It will be a few years before you get what your after yet though.

KISS come up with some good ideas but are yet to release a product with any kind of build quality. The DP500 was the first player I've seen with a sound rating of "Terrible" by WVWE.

3. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Zoolap,

XBox + modchip + XBox Media Player = one very capable streaming media centre!

I stream music, videos and internet radio via my PC over ethernet. It's really amazing. I have a Nebula Digital Terrestrial card which I also use to record stuff onto my PC, for streaming to the XBox and onwards to my plasma screen.

EffTee

4. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi efftee

are you able to stream directly from the nebula in realtime, or do you have to record it first and then feed it in to some streaming software?

5. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    WebLoader,

Currently I'm recording first, then streaming after. My next project is to look into whether or not you can stream live.

The chances are, even if it's not possible now, someone will figure out how to do it in the not too distant future.

EffTee

6. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I wonder if Netgem could do this with their freeview box and a usb hard drive. Shame it is not USB 2 there.

7. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I see the Kiss DP600 can do quite a bit, but can it rcord on it's own hard disk and allow you to watch what is on there from your pc?

The main thing is I want the benefit of an instant on device with the ability to watch the recording in another room on pc.

If the above player had a dvd +/-rw functionality with the ability to watch recordings on pc that would be just the ticket for me.

8. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Netgem can be used to stream content off a PC, but that's as far as it goes at the moment.

I use mine to allow me to view MPEG files via my TV, that way at least I get the benefit of a decent sized screen, oh yes, and sound via my AV32R as well. :thumbsup:.

9. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That seems to be prevalent with various systems available, but what I'm looking for is the other way around.

I know i could set up a pc and have that acting as the pvr, but that would involve having the pc switched on all the time.

Hope someone does a hard disk recorder with desired functionality soon (we need a fingers crossed smilie :D ).

10. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A modified Tivo (with a Turbonet network card) and the correct software will do what you require. The picture quality is surprisingly good providing your not looking too critically.