1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any happy i-pod photo owners?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Deaves, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Deaves

Deaves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw the 60GB priced at £309 (Apple website) and was wandering if the prices have fallen recently or am i just missing some small print, because when you look at what you are getting compared to the 20GB i-pod at £209 i cant see why anyone would not go for the i-pod photo 60GB.
    Also does anyone know of any speaker docking stations that go with the i-pod photo 60GB.
    Any other comments on the overall ability of the player would be much appreciated.

cheers martin
    :lease:

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I went from a 20GB 3G iPod as I was running out of space, to a 4G 40GB iPod Photo. The colour screen is a much nicer one than the old monochrome and I like the addition of album art. The photo capability isn't of much interest to me, but it's worth the additional for me for the space and screen alone.

I sold my 16 month old 3G iPod for £170, and paid £269 for the Photo, so £100 for the 20GB and colour screen seemed a fair price.

I don't know of any speaker docks yet, but I connect mine to an amp anyway.

3. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I've got the 40gb ipod photo from john lewis oxford st for £269 with docking station and leads (usb2, firewire and av). There has been a price drop at apple but really what youre not getting is the docking station and all the leads. I find 40 gigs plenty enough now heres the choice you have pay extra £40 for 20 extra gigs but no dock or av leads, or rush down to JL to see if there are some still in stock.

As for speaker docks, ipod photo is a bit fatter than regular ipod so it may not fit all dedicated speakers. Anyway so long as you get the dock you get a line out through which you can attach to any hifi.

4. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My 40gb iPod photo docks with my Altec Lansing inmotion speakers.
    Also purchased mine from JL at £269 which is about as cheap as they come, at the moment, using a decent web site.

5. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Got my ipod photo 40gb for £215 from Boots using a 20% off voucher, and also got £10 worth of points. For that price it was an obvious choice.

Very happy with it though. Went from an iriver ihp-140 that went faulty, and although I miss some of the extra features like radio and recording, the ease of use and colour screen makes it much nicer to use (in my opinion).

6. ysr

ysr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got my 60GB ipod photo approx 2 months ago from Microanvika and paid £359 when everyone else was still doing them for £429. The package I got contained all the leads, docking station and case which I believe would cost an extra £80 or so separately. In addition I also got a free i-Station speaker and docking station worth £60.

The sound through the i-station is acceptable for a bedroom system. The sound through the supplied earphones, however, is pretty good but I have heard what the Sony MDR EX71SLs can do and they will probably be my next upgrade along with a remote control. The dealers down Tottenham Court Road are now selling wireless keyring remotes that can control the ipod while its still in your pocket, which is so cool (and reduces the likleyhood of being mugged on the tube). In terms of battery life, I have been getting over 15 hours usage on one charge

Finally I believe the most important accessory is an i-skin cover since the case can scratch so easily.

7. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    All the ipods currently selling at discount prices (20GB, 40GB photo) in JL are old stock models with poor battery life. The newer ipods coming from apple have a battery life of 18 hours. Keep this in mind when comparing prices.

8. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    My "old" 40GB Photo's battery life is so "poor" I only get 16 hours out of it.

Bummer eh.

:hiya:

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    This only applies to the ipod Mini's though not the photo models.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Me too - a great bargain!!! :clap:

11. Deaves

Deaves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Very Much For All The Replies

12. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Hmmm...seeing as apple only quote "up to 15 hours" for the battery life of a new photo ipod I find it hard to believe you get 16 hours.

Anyway in answer to the original question, yes there are many people who are very happy with their ipods regardless of how much they may have paid for them.

Me? I paid £207 for a 20GB 4th generation (about a month before the 30GB one came out). You can now find them for about £170.

13. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    And if you look around you'll find plenty of reviews where battery life has exceeded that comfortably (I'll post the links later if I can find them, one was 17 plus hours). Apple are wary of over-stating battery life after the fiasco a couple of years back.

Still, I've tested it (by leaving mine on shuffle until it died and it was 16hrs plus a few minutes) and you haven't so you must be right eh?....

:suicide:

14. stillill

stillill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 40Gig Photo from boots still looks like a good deal if you can find the 10% discount code (the 20% code has been stopped) at £242.

I'm looking at getting this because it comes with the dock etc. Is this the same generation as the JohnLewis one that people are getting 16hours out of? It says 8hours on the Boots site.

Friend at Apple can get me a 17% discount, but I'd only be able to afford the 30Gig Photo, for about £215, with no dock etc. The Boots deal seems like a better offer (10Gig extra and the dock for the price of the dock from Apple...).

The battery life is a consideration for me. Are Apple's iPods a newer generation than those at Boots?

(Oh and are future firmware upgrades likely to improve the battery life, or is it just a crappy battery?)

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    The Boots site is wrong, this is the same spec as on the JL site that offers 15 hours of battery life (according to Apple) although users are reporting numbers greater than that!

16. stillill

stillill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, just gone for one. Hope my friend at Apple isn't annoyed, but Boots + 10% discount was a better deal with the dock and cables etc. Lovely.

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Yep that's a great deal considering you get the dock, carry case, av cable and firewire cable included in the price over the 'newer' 30Gb and 60GB photo models.

18. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    you can get logic 3 speaker dock that has interchangable bits of plastic in the base to fit different model i pods.It also has a very good bass kick with a subwoofer.All for £40 :thumbsup:

19. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tejstar, Tomfoolery. Where are you guys getting these Boots discount vouchers?

Cheers

20. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cardiff,

Try http://www.hotukdeals.com - it's a central database for offers and deals on just about everything/everywhere - including 10% at Boots.

21. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mick's. Helpful as ever (particularly where ipods are concerned). :smashin:

22. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Seems there were a few who found favour with Boots' 40 GB iPod photo, less 20%, deal then?
    For the price, it really was (and with 10%, still is) a no brainer of a bargain.