Any good tips to get better at the game

Discussion in 'Xbox One Battlefield' started by Killr2589, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Killr2589

Killr2589
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can't get any kills at the moment just wanted to know if anyone has got any good tips to increase my K/D

Thanks in advance.

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    Have you looked at the excellent guide done by King Tones above ?

3. Gazaman

Gazaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    To be honest mate,as a battlefield virgin before this one,all I can suggest is stick with it.
    It takes some getting used to and when you start unlocking stuff and progressing,the game gets lots better.
    Its not the very forgiving for newbies to be honest but on the flip side,can be very rewarding when you start to go on little streaks andlevel up.
    The turning point for me was when I unlocked the x2 scope for my LMG.
    Love the game now.
    Stick at it pal and it will be worth it.

EDIT: As CARLOS says, check out Tones's guide as its very in depth and helpfull.

4. tonyk79

tonyk79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I just started myself a few days ago and it was hard to get into, stick at it and try and level up. I found it easier starting with engineering class as you get an RPG to help with the vehicles in the game. Don't forget to right bumper click when you spot an enemy as you get points if somebody else kills them.

5. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,216
    First tip, never ever ask for tips to improve your K/D in Battlefield. It is not what the game is about....

6. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    Yes and no, if you are dying a lot more than killing then you are losing tickets for your team ;)

7. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,216
    Which is inconsequential if you're capping flags and thus burning the other teams tickets far quicker than they can kill you.

Point being that a personal K/D in a team game is unimportant. Most people COULD have a positive K/D if they go and sit in a bush somewhere with a sniper and go 8-3 every round. But that would absolutely destroy their teams chances of winning if everyone is doing that.

8. cunnas

cunnas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I've had the game from day one and I've had a bit of a love, hate, hate, hate, love relationship with it. I've given up on the SP campaign having lost my save 3 times now so concentrated on MP.

What I found is that levelling up helps but it is a slow process. I finally found a class I enjoy (engineer) and found that once you level up you get these XP boost bonuses which can really help you level up quicker - so I had a good run of a few days going from level 3 to almost 20. I stick with the same class, the same gun but I have found the excellent (scuse the lack of technical term here) bazooka - the one that takes down choppers by locking on - I get a fair few points each game doing that.

I've never, ever been a good one for getting kills - I see some people finish with 34 odd kills and a couple od deaths and I literally have no idea how they do it. I tend to play the Conquest games, in fact, that's all I play and just try and take as many bases as I can.

9. Cpt Hooky

Cpt Hooky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :rotfl: If I could I would buy a beer for that.

Check youtube videos for tips on setup (ie levelcap) as same weapon performs massively different using different attachments. Also check general tactics, flanking etc. Find what works best for you and make marginal changes to try new things all the time.

BTW I think if someone says K/D doesn't necessarily mean they don't play the game properly. Most cases is people saying that they want to earn more points and not spend as much time re-spawning. Teenagers however like to have a big K/D so they can boast that theirs is bigger etc ;)

10. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,910
    General advice is to come and join us in some games. This game is much easier if you're in a squad with other people that you're in communication with. My advice for new players is always the same. Find someone in your squad that plays the objective, spawn on them and follow them around. You'll learn routes through the map and in engagements they'll get fired at first and you can identify where the targets are and stand a better chance of surviving.

In BF3 the class to play was assault as you very quickly unlocked med kits and defibs and could rack up the points healing and reviving. In BF4 they've changed the unlocks and it takes longer to get the full med packs, although you start out with little piddly ones and you no longer get the full 100 points for a revive. Engineer seems to be the class to go for. Ditch the PDWs for the carbines as soon as you unlock them. The AK5C is one of the first you get and is a cracking gun. Stick with it until you've got a decent loadout for it. As a beginner I definitely recommend putting on a suppressor onto your gun as soon as you unlock them. They keep you off the mini-map when you're firing and will mean you stay alive longer. If you don't have a suppressor on then if you fire your weapon move. People will see you on the mini-map and will come to kill you. Fire and move is generally a good thing to get used to. Firing and staying in the same place=death.

As has already been mentioned don't get too hung up on k/d. In Battlefield it's not that important IF you're playing the game right. I play conquest and am an aggressive flag capper. That means that often I'm the first in to an enemy flag and I get shot a lot. I've never had a +ve k/d in Battlefield ever (first Battlefield for me was BF3, think my k/d was 0.88, now BF4 my k/d is 0.93). If you look at my stats though (Details - KirkSi - Battlelog / Battlefield 4) you'll see that I repair, heal, resupply and revive and I've captured 792 flags and defended 496 in 64 hours play. If you do a good job for the team generally but aren't the best at slaying people left right and centre that's fine, I'm not either but I usually finish in the top half of the scoreboard and sometimes get MVP.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  11. Nozey

Nozey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,291
    Basically what Kirksi said, just arrange to get in game on comms with a couple of people that know what they're doing, class isn't important whilst learning the basics - but being in chat is essential you'll pick up more in 10 mins then anyone could ever describe to you on here.

12. Killr2589

Killr2589
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No I haven't i will have to check that out thanks

13. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    20 hours.

OK, maybe 50 hours if you're a slow learner by me.

either way, strap up and crack on. Great bunch here, friend up and have some fun. Normally, if there is a party going, they are in party chat so join chat as well as party.

14. The Fuggler

The Fuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    For a noob like me, the learning curve is pretty steep. I've found it difficult to unlearn a lot of my habits from other shooters that tend to hinder rather than help here. The game is also pretty harsh on you to start with - you need to grind it out for a bit to unlock a better load out.

I'm still really enjoying it - now I'm a bit more comfortable with how it plays, I'll jump in with some AVFers.

15. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Fast 'ping' would help. You might think you've taken cover, but someone else just killed you 50ms ago.
    Don't run out into the open.
    Go for the objective - you get loads of points for arming the bomb thingy.
    Work with your squad.
    Chuck grenades in the hidey holes you used when defending a place now that you're attacking.
    Look what guns seem to kill you most - try and get one of those :)
    When you die, look where someone was standing/running when they killed you. It might well indicate a good path to follow yourself.
    Swear a lot at the TV, I find that helps no end.
    If someone called 'scapini' is on the other side, stand still a lot so he can get more kills.
    If you don't have enough grenades in your life, play Metro, it's fab.

Actually, maybe ignore all that, I'm pretty crap at it myself.

16. Crovon

Crovon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Your K/D is completely irrelevant in this game and rightly so.

What is important is going for the objectives and dishing out health/ammo and repairing etc.

I'm not a great player at it tbh, I just stick at it. Eventually like all fps' something just clicks and you find yourself getting better.

But as others have said, check out tones guide and look for weapon setups/load outs.

17. hotchilidamo

hotchilidamo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    My advice is stick with the same loadout, get the rds sights and get used to it. The worst thing you can do when you're learning the game is try and unlock different weapons. Other than that I'd say squad up with a good team, stick close to them, and have plenty of ammo or defibs at the ready. The learning curve is quite steep on BF4. I've introduced a few friends to it and they could stick with it. Some people just can't handle BF4 ;)

18. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,216
    Get what you're saying about the same loadout, but equally new players need to find the loadout that suits how they play. It isn't COD so at first the different guns and attachments and feel of each weapon can be a bit overwhelming and therefore I don't think a little experimentation hurts. And in terms of sights now that DICE have made all red dot/HOLO sights have the same magnification (unlike BF3) they are interchangeable in terms of learning their turning circles/movements. So apart from visual appearance you aren't affecting by changing from one to another for any of the RDS close combat sights.

19. MikeyK

MikeyK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I feel your pain, and I am going thru the same situation.

OK, I love BF4 multiplayer, I love the large maps, the atmosphere, visuals, sounds, but I personally think its VERY VERY hard. For instance, I can pump a guy full of bullets in his back, and I mean FULL of bullets, he doesn't die, then he casually turns around and kills me with a piece of soggy tissue from a pee shooter, what the hell is all that about? That happens a lot. Also, I cant for the life of me seem to kill anyone with a gun on a medium to long distance basis, yet I keep getting killed from quite a long distance. It frustrates the hell out of me and I have nearly thrown my control pad at the TV on numorous occasions, but I keep coming back to it! Maybe BF4 isn't for me?

20. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,216
    What gun and attachments are you using?

21. MikeyK

MikeyK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I have no idea, im in work but I will reply back with that tonight when im home. Thanks.

22. The Fuggler

The Fuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I'm not getting a lot better either tbh. I have a load out I'm comfortable with so I it's still good fun.

23. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,910
    In BF3 I was always changing guns trying to get the 500 kills dogtags on as many weapons as possible. What that meant was I was regularly trying to rank up guns and playing with bad setups. For BF4 I've stuck to just a few guns and got them how I like them. I've got a good AK 5C setup, ACW-R and Ace 23. I'm trying to rank the M60 up so I've got a decent LMG in there somewhere as well, but generally I've gotten most of my kills with those three guns. Certainly recently I've been doing much better now I've settled. It's helped a lot that carbines are available to any class, so I can strap on my ACW-R across recon, support and engineer. I tend to run with the Ace 23 for assault.

For @MikeyK who said they can't get kills at medium and long range. Don't know how you're firing, but the key to medium and long range kills in my book is burst firing. Never go full auto at those ranges (unless with an LMG and bi-pod). At medium I tend to fire in three round bursts, at long I'll try for two round bursts. Standing still at those ranges is also important. If you start moving and strafing then your accuracy goes to hell. Sometimes you end up in a burst firing stand-off. In those it just depends who gets hit markers first and whether you can land the other bursts.

24. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I get the 'shoot someone in the back with a whole clip, they turn around and one-shot-kill you' a LOT. Last week it happened the other way around !! It can happen !! I was getting shot in the back, getting very little damage. I turn around. Still getting shot, still taking little damage. I then proceed to randomly shoot in the direction I think I'm getting shot from. I hit nothing. Then I spot the guy off to the side who is still shooting at me. So I down him in two shots. Poor bugger.

25. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    You've got a positive KD. Booooo!

26. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    I've never seen anything as bad as that. Did you record it? I'd be interested to see the 'little damage' you were sustaining. The code should simply say you were hit, or not hit. Of course I get plenty where I feel I should have won the fight, and I go from 100 to 0 health in a shot or two, but never as much as dumping a whole clip into someone's back. Normally when that happens, I'm just aiming really badly.

27. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Alas no, I only record my failures, mainly as I have far more of those.

28. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,910
    At the time of posting the 0.93 was correct. However of late I've been beasting it and actually have a +ve k/d for the first time ever :thumbsup: Sod PTFOing, from now on I shall be playing like a nancy protecting my k/d. At the slightest hint of a bullet whizzing past me I shall be heading to the hills with a sniper rifle, the furthest from a flag as I can get :p

29. cunnas

cunnas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I've started to really enjoy the game now. I hit rank 25 last night which I'm chuffed with. I tend to just user the Quick play conquest games and seem to average about 5000 points in a game with boosts taking me to 8 to 10k so I'm ranking up fairly quick. Haven't come to of the leader board yet but I'm normally to half which is more than good enough for me! Only play as engineer so I have the surface to air missile thing that I just adore!

30. The Fuggler

The Fuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    :) - I have my 'liability' tactic for when I play TDM. Some games I just seem to be a total liability, attracting bullets from all and sundry. I take myself off to a quiet corner, have a little cry, give myself a good talking to and then just try to spot the opposition for a bit. I figure we might still have a chance of winning if I'm not feeding the opposition kills every 10 seconds!