1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any good small, cheap speakers for a TV

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jon Weaver, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    I am about to install my new plamsa TV. However, even though I have a 'home cinema' setup, there are times when I just want to watch TV using in internal amp. However, the Plasma doesn't come with speakers and the official ones cost over £300!

I dug out a pair of old (but unused) Sony rear surround speakers which will do the job, but they small plasticy things with one 3" driver.. But I started to wonder if there is anything better out there, which will give me a better sound.

They need to be less than 230mm high (to fit in my cabinet), but only need to be 8w max.

Richersounds have a load of really cheap speakers. Ariston spring to mind.. Whilst I don't expect much out of them, just looking at them shows that there is more to them than my 'Sony's.

Does anyone have any recommendations about small, low powered speakers?

2. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    dont know if its what you had in mind but I have the 4 surround speakers that came with my Tosh 36" TV. Still boxed only used for about a week.

For a nominal amount you're welcome to them.

Regards

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    I am in the same position. I have some rear surround speakers which came with my various TVs.. They will work, they they lack and finess.

I tried them out last night, on a small hifi.. They were very tinny, but hardly surprising considering what they are.

What I want is some small, hifi speakers which will do a better job of giving an average sound.

I have seen some Gale Satellite 10 speakers in Richer Sounds for £50.. They are certainly up to the job (although, I havn't checked if the impedence is right). However, they might be a little too good for an 8W amp.