1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any good new turn based strategies?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by welshman213, Mar 25, 2004.

1. welshman213

welshman213

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

I have neglected my PC for some time now, and thought it is about time to get back to some game playing.
    I used to loved Turn based such as Civ 3.
    Is there anything similar but newer?

Thanks

John

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    Rise of Nations is supposed to be very good, and comes from Brian Reynolds who worked on Civ with Sid Meier.

I quite like Heart of Iron which is a good strategy game, but has an awfully steep learning curve. Persistence definitely pays off though!

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,363
    Heroes of Might and Magic IV is turn based strategy where you can build up resources to make workshops to make creatures, fortifications, and for some creatures.

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HOMM IV is very good. (there's a couple expansions out for it, if I'm not mistaken)

Rise of Nations is absolutely brilliant. It's technically a RTS, but with fully controllable speed, tech research, commerce caps, and ample use of the pause button, it's very close to being a TBS. You can also alter the cost and speed of research to turn a quick game into an all-day fight for world domination. The single-player "Conquer the World" option is great. Imagine Risk in which you have to play a variable length game of Civ every time you take a territory.

Plus, the AI is incredible! The first time they launch nukes at you is something you'll never forget.

5. welshman213

welshman213

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I will have to get my hands on a copy of Rise of Nations then,
    Cheers guys