Any good Headphone options for TV ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mikehende, Nov 28, 2018.

1. mikehende

mikehende
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all. I am seeking a good economically priced Headphone for TV listening. I want one which will help block out the sound from nearby TV's and music around me coming from the other rooms in this house. I will use a headphone only for when watching a 2-3 hour movie.

I am 10' away from my TV so I am thinking best to get a wireless but corded can work, any recommendations please? This TV has RCA and USB inputs.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    Wireless will only work if your TV (Brand and model not given) has Bluetooth for use with headphones and/or an audio output (not inputs) which can be fed to a Bluetooth transmitter.
    All some idea of you budget would help others to recommend specific models.

3. progdev1212

progdev1212
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would you know if TV's that do support bluetooth headphones support more than 1 connection? If not is there a work around. I am in the process of hunting for a new TV between the Samsung NU8070 and Sony X900F and have 2 pairs of Sony hear h900's id like to use. Thanks in advance.

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,119

You need aptx capable headphones otherwise there will be visual lip synch issues. Which will be more obvious to anyone with any sort of hearing issue. And my better half that does not. She hates films in a foreign language dubbed into English. aptx considerably reduces the time lag involved in Bluetooth - audio transmission time, which of course is not an issue when used purely for audio without a video component.

Check the latency of your preferred headphones.

You could also buy the suggested transmitter from Amazon and return it if it does create lip synch issues with your existing TV.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077MXF...t=&hvlocphy=1007011&hvtargid=pla-421323222203

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  5. progdev1212

progdev1212
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,119

Nope I have a Wireless Pair of Sony Headphones with built in Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding. The input is fed by a Optical Matrix switch with it's input fed by a HDMI cable from multiple sources. You do need a AVR receiver though. And they aren't Bluetooth connected. They are a few years old. You will need to check out what's available now, TBH the surround sound is nowhere near as good as a proper 5.1 speaker system. Probably not worth the effort. Connected using a AVR you would probably get close using one of the digital sound processing options like Proligic II

Random search

Sony WH-1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones

and another

Sony MDR-HW700DS Digital Surround Wireless Headphones

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  7. progdev1212

progdev1212
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Appreciate the advice, i have heard a few soundbars that are Atmos enabled but it seems i will have to fork out quite a bit to have it as i need it. Decent TV, soundbar, nvidia shield as that supports Atmos via plex as opposed to the tv client. My budget was £1k yet everyday i seem to be adding £100 the more i research. I am hoping to pick up a deal during the xmas sales so fingers crossed. The headphones were a possible solution as i already have them but lip sync issues will drive me crazy. Decisions. decisions.

8. mikehende

mikehende
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for the late reply guys, I am not receiving the email notifs from this forum.
    It's a Samsung Model UN32J4000AF, this is a pic of the back sockets

https://i.postimg.cc/Qd5gG52N/IMAG0335- ... 107530.jpg

spoke with Samsung support, looks like either an optical jack adapter or headphone with optical connector as only options. Avantree series has some better reviews for low price with no audio lag time, comfort, great sound and battery life with volume control on the headphone itself, only missing a review on how well it can block out background noise:

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Wireles ... dition+pro

9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,119
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,119
  11. only1hammy

only1hammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    You've had some suggestions so far, but Bluetooth isn't the "only" game in town when it comes to wireless headphones. For your situation and requirements, I'd recommend Sennheiser's RS175 wireless headphones. They use a proprietary wireless technology (and have their own base station), allowing more than one pair to be used at the same time.

We've been using the open version (RS185) for a few years now with little-to-no problems.

RS175 @ Amazon US - https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-175-Wireless-Headphone/dp/B00SLUI5SA

12. mikehende

mikehende
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Appreciate the suggestions guys, the bose is out out my budget. I had looked at the Sennheiser RS series, seemed a good option too just a little more expensive than the Avantree.

13. only1hammy

only1hammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    When calculating the cost of the Avantree, don't forget to include the cost of a aptX Bluetooth transmitter/receiver. I don't know much about these but the cheapest seem to run around $30-50. You'll also need an optical cable if you don't already have one (stick to digital). It's a messy solution, but could still work fine.

I think the cost difference between this stuff and the RS175 (or previous model RS170) may be smaller than you'd think. They're currently $184.99 new from Amazon, and price tracking websites show they've occasionally been lower than that. There's a Very Good set now for $167.15 from Amazon Warehouse, and it seems "Used" sets have been $80-120 in the past. Personally, I got my set and extra headset from the Warehouse and they were perfect/open box.

Just a thought.

14. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,119

One linked to in post#4 OP is UK based so US prices not available here.

15. only1hammy

only1hammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Good choice though if he goes with the Avantree pair. $50 on US Amazon and probably guaranteed to work with their own headphones. :smashin:

16. mikehende

mikehende
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I am still waiting on Avantree support to advise [confirm] on if any of their noise cancelling headphones comes with a transmitter and optical or RCA cables.

17. mikehende

mikehende
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  18. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,119
  19. mikehende

mikehende
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i just got this answer from AVANTREE support below so just as you have stated I would need a transmitter and cable. In this case then I would think the Sennheiser series would be an option I would need to look at:

The ANC headphones work both as wired and wireless. If you will use it wired, your TV audio output does not matter. You just need to plug it into the 3.5mm audio jack of the TV. If you will use it wireless, make sure that your TV is Bluetooth enabled. If it is, you just need to pair it with your TV. You can check the steps below:

1, Please fully charge your headphones or keep your headphones with certain amount of battery level.
    2. Please ensure that your headphones are in pairing mode
    From "OFF" status, hold "the very middle" of the power button for 5 seconds, you'll see the LED blinks "RED" and "BLUE" alternately.
    (Note: If you can't see the "RED" and "BLUE" LED, that means the headphones are not in pairing mode. Please ensure that you hold the very middle of the button)

20. only1hammy

only1hammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I think, for the price point and intended usage, it's to be expected that you don't get any extras included. What kind of noise are you trying to block out exactly? I imagine a good closed set would be enough, as they generally cost less than those with decent noise cancellation.

The Sennheisers will be the easiest and most convenient setup, as they're an all-in-one package which allow you to use the digital connection and pair another headset in the future. Downsides? They're not Bluetooth, so don't expect to use them with any device other than the TV, and obviously have zero portability.

21. mikehende

mikehende
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i only need to block out the sounds coming from the other rooms mainly from tv and music. So if I were to get the rs175, I would need to get an optical cable right?

22. only1hammy

only1hammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
  23. mikehende

mikehende
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: