Any good Ceiling Speaker Setups

rborhara

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive got a Panasonic V10 50" TV bought last xmas so this year im treating my self to a Onkyo SR608

However the space the TV fits in a 14 x 14 portion of my room with the tv on against a wall.
My Settee/s are against a wall, with the main 3 seater in the middle of the 14ft wide room, and 2 armchairs at eitther end.

My question being as its a small room (its actually 17ft long one end) but I have a door opening what speakers should i consider ideally all ceiling mounted

I have SKY HD
PS/3 (fat version)
maybe a future purchase of a ipod / bluetooth streamer if the amp supports it
Watch a lot of HD Football and HD TV series and Movies as well as downloaded xvid movies.
So although im not a audiophile I would like to hear the effects and enjoy what the chracters are saying on screen
Can the front and rear speakers be the same size incase i decided to move my plasma's direction from one side of the room to the other
Where do i put my bass speakers (im assuming i should go for a 7.2 setup) - be Ceiling mounted
Also if I turn my Amp off m, does te Tv take speakers automatically come on with the sound - Maybe late at night if someone is sleeping upstairs
Budget wise £400 for the amp
so another £600-£800 for the speakers

Last edited:
Ive got a Panasonic V10 50" TV bought last xmas so this year im treating my self to a Onkyo SR608

However the space the TV fits in a 14 x 14 portion of my room with the tv on against a wall.
My Settee/s are against a wall, with the main 3 seater in the middle of the 14ft wide room, and 2 armchairs at eitther end.

My question being as its a small room (its actually 17ft long one end) but I have a door opening what speakers should i consider ideally all ceiling mounted

I have SKY HD
PS/3 (fat version)
maybe a future purchase of a ipod / bluetooth streamer if the amp supports it
Watch a lot of HD Football and HD TV series and Movies as well as downloaded xvid movies.
So although im not a audiophile I would like to hear the effects and enjoy what the chracters are saying on screen

I have tried a few ceiling speakers, but in my opinion, for the same price bracket, ceiling speakers are nowhere near as good as normal speakers, or even mini satellite speakers. Nowhere near. Personally, I originally was going for all ceiling speakers in the house I just bought, but after listening, I have now only put ceiling speakers in the kitchen/diner and bedroom where I don't have the space for normal speakers and only for casual listening and TV, and have proper speakers in the living room for proper listening and movies.

Can the front and rear speakers be the same size incase i decided to move my plasma's direction from one side of the room to the other

Yes of course. But you also need to think about the centre speaker!

Where do i put my bass speakers (im assuming i should go for a 7.2 setup) - be Ceiling mounted

Ideally on the floor. They do do ceiling/in-wall subwoofers, I do have a Kef one and it is alright but not even close to a "normal" subwoofer, probably because the ceiling doesn't have enough depth. If it was too powerful it would also affect the room above. In terms of position in the room, it doesn't really matter too much because low frequency sound is omni-directional.

Also if I turn my Amp off m, does te Tv take speakers automatically come on with the sound - Maybe late at night if someone is sleeping upstairs

Just un-mute the TV.

I am not an expert on the subject, but I hope it helps.

Thanks for you help, are we saying even if i spend £800 on my speaker setups that i will not get sound good enough for a decent AV experience in my room even with 2 x subs on the floor

"Decent" is subjective. But in my opinion, for the same money, a standard system is always better.
I am not saying ceiling speakers in general are crap though! Just not very good value.

Hello,

I've got some in ceiling speakers as rears for a 5.1 system. I wouldn't want them as a full system as they don't come close to stand mounts. However as rears they offer superb clarity and a real sense of space.

I'm using b&w ccm65's at £300 a pair. For rears they are perfect but for fronts not quite there. If space is a premium look at on wall or in wall speakers and add a dedicated subwoofer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom