Any gardeners help - patio rose

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gordie, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, can I say that I have no gardening experience when it comes to plants. About 2 weeks ago, we bought a pair of patio roses (just like the picture below). These were roughly about 2 - 2.5 foot high and were pretty young as the stem was not much thicker than a pen. Well on Monday, it was quite windy here and although it wasn't bad, it was enough to snap the bush of the rose completely off (where the arrow is pointing to) and now all I am left with is the stem (and the bush).

My question is this. Is the patio rose ruined? Or can I either keep watering/growing the stem and hope it grows another bush, or can I take a cutting from the bush that snapped off?

They weren't cheap, so I don't want to just go out and buy another one. I felt that although the cane that was in place to support the stem didn't do anything to support the actual bush and it was top heavy if you know what I mean. They wern't exposed as our back is surrounded by a solid 6' fence and the roses were at each side of the french doors.

Thanks for your help/advise.

[​IMG]

2. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just add that the picture above was from google images and not a picture of the actual rose we have. The picture shows that the cane sticks out of the top, but the cane that is in ours only comes up to where the bush snapped off (it was bought like that).

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,801
    So long as the root system is well developed it will probably grow back, but it will take a while to get back to anything like what it was. It will probably try and sprout all over so you may have your work cut out (sorry :rolleyes:) getting it back to that shape, I don't know if there is much you can do with the bit that fell off, I think fancy roses are normally grafted onto a hardy root stock but I'm a bit out of my depth at this point,

Dave

4. Greybeard

Greybeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The top was probably grafted on to the stem, if you look at the other one you will see, if this is the case take it back to where you bought it and ask for a replacement because it will not grow back.

5. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,801
    See, I thought I might be talking a load of ******** ... I mean I was out of my depth :D

Dave

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,980
    Agreed!

7. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: