1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any further news on Xbox price reduction ?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by superleeds, Oct 7, 2003.

1. superleeds

superleeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

After Nintendo slashing the price of the GameCube and Sony dropping the PS2 price recently has anyone any further news / views on the situation with the Xbox ?

I've just sold my PS2 to replace it with an Xbox but would be annoyed if I get one now only for the price to fall £30 next week.

If nothing has happened by the end of the month i'll assume it won't and make the purchase.

TIA,
    MIke.

2. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    howdy :)

from what i've heard there are rumors that it may drop as low as £99!!! but i think thats taking it too far and would be extremely surprised if that were true. i also heard reports of microsoft concentrating more on 'packages' and 'bundles' rather than the price of the console on its own. talk of it being offered for around £149 with two games and xbox live kit [maybe with two 'free' months subscription too :confused:] and possibly £129 with a game or two...

i too am very interested in getting one soon-ish so am keen to hear what plans microsoft have :)

let me know if you hear anything, and i'll let you know if... well you get my drift ;):D lol

nice
    monsieurblack

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    go one mikey you know you want to do it.lol

4. amsjrt

amsjrt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Microsoft respond to console price cuts

[06/10/2003: 17:42]
    Well, sort of: "We're very comfortable with Xbox's price point," they say

Microsoft have released a statement in response to the recent PS2 and Gamecube price cuts - and, by the sound of things, there won't be an Xbox price drop in the foreseeable future.

"At an estimated retail price of £129.99, Xbox offers tremendous value," reads the statement. "We have a large and growing portfolio of quality games, the award-winning Xbox Live service, online gaming capability built in to the console and the most powerful hardware available.

"We're very comfortable with our price point and will continue to offer value by bringing outstanding gaming experiences to gamers in Europe."

Of course, it's worth bearing in mind that Microsoft drastically reduced the price of Xbox very early on, from £300 to £160 within eight months of launch, followed by another drop down to £130 in April - a price that Sony have only now matched with PS2 - so you can see why they'd be reluctant to reduce the price of an Xbox still further.

That said, in the cut-throat Christmas console market, anything can happen...

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    but they're unlikely to officially announce price drops until they happen. Otherwise people on the verge of buying would hold off until the price drop kicked in, damaging sales in the interim pariod.

Micro$oft may be a lot of things but are well versed in extracting the last cent out of anybody :)

6. superleeds

superleeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys - I think i'll wait a couple of weeks and see, if no drop then £119 from Amazon gets my money.

If anyone comes across any good bundle deals please let me know.

Mike.

7. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yep

will do my friend :)

oh, and thanks for mentioning 'bout amazon :smashin: didn't realise they were selling em off for that :cool:

i'll keep my eye out but will definately bare them in mind.

cheers
    monsieurblack