1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Freeview PVRs with AUX-in?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by awhb, Jul 21, 2005.

1. awhb

awhb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any freeview PVRs that have the ability to record from an external source (like my aging VCR can do?). I have yet to find one. :confused:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    PVR's can only record a digital stream. Good analogue/digital conversion costs money and would make the PVR much more expensive.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Only DVD (with or without HDD) recorders.....not any Freeview PVRs.....can do this.

There are a couple of DVD recorders with onboard Freeview tuners - so these would do the job, but neither has a HDD.

Freeview - HDD- DVD recorders are coming soon, from (at least) Panachronic.

4. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The UK TiVo has an RGB AUX SCART input so you can use it to record external sources.

It can control any external STB , e.g. Freeview, Sky, Cable.

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Loewe DR+ internal upgrade for Loewe TV's can do this. If you have the D-TV or D-Sat option, you can record from freeview and (non $ky) satellite too. But it relatively expensive and only works with certain Loewe TV's and doesn't have twin digital tuners so you can only record the digital source that you are watching - unless you are using an external STB. Whilst it will record external sources, it cannot record component (SD or otherwise) or digital (DVI/HDMI).

I can't recommend this even for Loewe TV owners - apart from the price, the user interface is awful and it has some very annoying 'features' like changing the TV channel when a recording starts, even when recording external sources.

-Ian

6. awhb

awhb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea where I can get one? I thought TiVo had pulled out of the UK?

Also, do I have to pay for a subscription to use the TiVo? This is one of the objections I have to $ky+, I don't see why I should have to pay again for something I have already bought! (You don't go in to Dixons to buy a VCR and then expect to have to pay them again in order to use it!)

Thanks

7. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    www.tivoland.com or ebay.

You can pay a lifetime sub of 200 quid, or buy a unit that already has a lifetime sub, which may mean that the box is only effectively 50 to 100 quid!

Support for your TiVo is free from the TiVo fanatics on this board and also www.tivocommunity.com.

Sky customer services run the TiVo support. Many are actually TiVo fans as well, despite having Sky+!

TiVo have not pulled out of the UK. They still provide minor EPG updates.
    It is Thomson who pulled out. Sadly, Humax decided not to release a UK TiVo last year and released one in the USA instead.