Any free DVD's in this weekend's papers?

Heads up for next weekend

More DVDS advertised in Mail on sunday from Sat (14th) (as far as can tell Sat/sun will be with paper - rest via token collect in stores). This was adveristed in Tyne Tees area MOS todaym, so unsure if all UK getting.

SAT 14- Frederick Forsythes ICON - Stars Patrick Bergan, Patrick Swayze
SUN 15- OSTERMAN WEEKEND
MON 16- A LINE IN SAND - TV film w/Ross Kemp

FROM Tues another 11 to collect none were mentioned apart from what has to be the best give way DVD yet...it states

"Our Action Thriller set includes blockbuster movies such as Ian Flemings GOLDENEYE starring Pierce Brosnan as 007"

Not Brosnan Goldeneye but the tv film w/ Charles Dance..I guess the writer got the film name wrong when writing up offer in last Sun Mail.

Other discs
On Dangerous Ground (Rob Lowe)
Death has a Bad Reputation
Casulty of War
The Glory Boys (Rod Stiger)
Diamond Hunters
Reversible Erroes (William H Macy)
Gone but not Forgotten
Dectective (Tom Berenger)
Red Fox
Just Another Secret

Not Brosnan Goldeneye but the tv film w/ Charles Dance..I guess the writer got the film name wrong when writing up offer in last Sun Mail.

Other discs
On Dangerous Ground (Rob Lowe)
Death has a Bad Reputation
Casulty of War
The Glory Boys (Rod Stiger)
Diamond Hunters
Reversible Erroes (William H Macy)
Gone but not Forgotten
Dectective (Tom Berenger)
Red Fox
Just Another Secret

Looks like Tesco's 99p range. :D

I see a lot of Frederick Forsyth's stories amongst the DVD in the Mail does anyone know if Just Another Secret had been out yet or if to come, if so do you know what day?

Every day next week The Sun is giving away a Carry On film. I'm sure not at the top of most people's wants list but I thought you may want to know!

* Carry on Cruising
* Carry on Dick
* Carry on Abroad
* Carry on Regardless
* Carry on Constable
* Carry on Nurse
* Carry on Dick (Sunday News of the World)

Buying the Sun vs a free Carry On film

Read somewhere else that the series isn't complete.

Daily Mail Collect 8 tokens. ( = 8 disks)?
Only 14 episodes highlighted in the Mail advert. There are 26 episodes of the series.
From the Mail Advert......
"compile your own definitive 14-volume World at War DVD collection. First broadcast in October 1973, when memories of the......"

Normal collections either 10, or 11 disks in the new version. W@W

Not sure how many disks in the collections are extras though. Anybody with the set confirm??

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Seems to be 14 random episodes from the series each on a single dvd which is freely available from WH Smith over the next two weeks upon presentation of a token printed in that day's Mail. In fact the headline "Now the Mail is giving away The World At War in 14 sensational dvd's to collect over the next two weeks" appears deliberately misleading, nowhere is any mention made that only half the complete series is up for grabs. Bit of a cheap trick I'd say...:thumbsdow

looking at the daily mail site - the episodes you get are all over the place (order-wise)

part 4 - "Alone: May 1940-May 1941" (51:35)

part 6 - "Banzai-Japan: 1931-1942" (51:58)

part 20 - "Genocide: 1941-1945" (52:08)

part 15 - "Home Fires: Britain 1940-1944" (52:12)

part 14 - "It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow: Burma 1942-1943" (52:07)

part 17 - "Morning: June-August 1944" (51:52)

part 1 - "A New Germany: 1933-1939" (51:52)

part 23 - "Pacific: February 1942-July 1945" (50:32)

part 25 - "Reckoning: 1945... and After" (51:07)

part 9 - "Stalingrad: June 1942-February 1943" (51:51)

part 24 - "The Bomb: February-September 1945" (52:05)

part 8 - "The Desert: North Africa: 1940-1943" (52:25)

part 12 - "Whirlwind: Bombing German September 1939-1944" (52:10)

part 10 - "Wolf Pack: U-Boats in the Atlantic 1939-1944" (51:50)

looks like 9 episodes are missing (26 in total)

looks like 9 episodes are missing (26 in total)

The original 26 episodes were supplemented three years later by 8 special programmes (narrated by Eric Porter), bringing the total 34.

In addition, the 11 disc box set also contains 3 more recently made extra 'episodes'.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War_(TV_Series)

So technically, you're missing 9, 17 or 20 episodes depending on how thorough you want to be!

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/prince/prince1.html

just in case anyone has been living in a cave for the past couple of weeks, and avoiding all tv, radio and newspapers, tomorrow the mail on sunday gives away what they are bragging to be the biggest best cd giveaway ever, by the artist with the biggest ego in the world ever

in other words, the mail on sunday are giving away prince's brand new studio album "Planet Earth" free with the newspaper, no tokens or mucking about. and this album goes on sale in normal record stores all over the world within the next week. you get the full album the same as officially released elsewhere, only in a cardboard sleeve instead of fancy packaging

the albums not bad either, but it makes an excellent silver coaster if you don't like it

and if you like prince, i think they are releasing more tix for his 21 nites at the london o2 tomorrow, and tickets for the 21 aftershows went onsale yesterday (but i think they are all sold out now, but i don't think they put the upstairs seats on sale yet)

oh, and the news of the world is giving away a prince cd also, dunno what it is yet

eventually i think he will try and take over the world by giving away a different cd free with every newspaper every day

By giving away the cd does this help boost his album chart ranking on release? :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6897869.stm

no. in fact the cd isn't chart elligible under uk rules as free cds aren't chart elegible. the cd was supposed to be going on sale in the uk by sony, they only found out 2 weeks ago that he had done a deal to give away about 3 million copies free with the paper :rotfl: they knew he was giving away nearly half a million copies free at the 21 london shows, but not that he did the deal with the paper. just imagine being the sony exec that had an album ready to launch to find they were going to give away millions of physical copies free!

thats the thing about him not being signed to a label, he just does a distribution deal with a company to release it, and he can do what he wants otherwise, only he went a bit far this time. sony are releasing it normally in stores around the rest of the world though

with each £31.21 concert ticket at the london shows you also get a free copy of the cd. he did the same thing with his musicology tour in america in 2004. those cd's were chart eligible, so he was number one for weeks on end as he was giving away 15,000-20,000 copies every nite for months on end (it was the most profitable world tour in 2004, even though he only played the states, it made more money than madonna and the stones). they changed the rules in america after that

the daily mail are getting thier lawyers onto the chart regulators to allow it to chart. it just sounds like another attempt to get more publicity to me

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2125795,00.html

his last cd released last march only sold 98,000 copies in the uk, and it's fair to say he would sell even less copies this year as most of his fans will get a free copy, so he will make more money from this deal than he would by selling the cd, which sparks the following controversy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6897178.stm

probably worth an update for those who are interested, the prince cd is in the shrinkwrap with the magazine of the mail on sunday, no prince article in the magazines, but a 2 page middle spread article. it's the full cd, no tracklisting on the cd or in the paper, so here you go below

and the news of the world has a competition to win copies of purple rain and a 12 person box to see prince at the o2 on 4th aug, no cd with the paper

1.Planet Earth 05:51
2.Guitar 03:45
3.Somewhere Here On Earth 05:45
4.The One U Wanna C 04:29
5.Future Baby Mama 04:47
6.Mr. Goodnight 04:26
7.All The Midnights In The World 02:21
8.Chelsea Rodgers 05:41
9.Lion Of Judah 04:10
10.Resolution 03:40

and credits (which aren't on the cd packaging either)...

Special Thanx...
Michael B. - drums
Sonny T. - bass
Wendy - acoustic guitar & mandolin
Lisa - additional keys
Christian Scott - trumpet
Sheila E - percussion
Marva King - vocals
Bria Valente - vocals

Recorded & mixed at
Paisley Park, 3121 Las Vegas & Circle House Miami
by Prince
Assisted by Ian Boxhill & Kevin K.D. Davis

Mastering at Oasis Los Angeles by Eddie Schreyer

Package design by Sam Jennings
Interactive design by Ashley Warren
Photography by Afshin Shahidi & Randee St. Nicholas
Holographic art by virtual images
Join us online at 3121.com

Much respect 2 AEG

Produced, arranged, composed & per4med by
Prince & The New power Generation
Morris Hayes
C.C. Dunham
Joshua
Shelby J.
The Twinz
Mike Phillips
Maceo Parker
Greg Boyer
Lee Hogan
Renato Neto

oh, and for the first time ever, hmv are selling the mail on sunday

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages...ews.html?in_article_id=468409&in_page_id=1773

and the news of the world has a competition to win copies of purple rain and a 12 person box to see prince at the o2 on 4th aug, no cd with the paper

Bet loads of people were conned into buying the NotW today, 1/3rd of their front page said 'Prince CD Free' with some very small print.

Turned to page 30 and you find out that they only have a 1000 cd's available of one of Princes very old albums to which you have to text in a competition for 25p plus normal call rate - hardly free now

Bet loads of people were conned into buying the NotW today, 1/3rd of their front page said 'Prince CD Free' with some very small print.

Turned to page 30 and you find out that they only have a 1000 cd's available of one of Princes very old albums to which you have to text in a competition for 25p plus normal call rate - hardly free now

yeah, i checked the magazine and there was no cd, but i just bought it anyway and posted the competition details on a fansite to save people the hassle. there was the chance to win a "box" for 12 people to see one of the shows, but most fans i know have "better" seats closer to the stage, as the boxes are quite high up

mind if they had a lot of cds, as it suggested, to get a copy of purple rain for £1.50 txt message isn't bad, but i guess if you want it, most people would already have it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom