• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Any free alternative for WMC for MP3's

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
IS there any free alternatives for music apart from media portal?

I would like the ability of selecting albums and getting a play screen like in WMC. I like having the covers selectable.

I tried Media Portal and the controls were horrible. I also used the second output from my graphics to a TV and when using full screen, it would go to the monitor instead.

Eventually I will be upgrading to Win7 but would like something to use in the mean time.

Jac4593

Established Member
IS there any free alternatives for music apart from media portal?

I would like the ability of selecting albums and getting a play screen like in WMC. I like having the covers selectable.

I tried Media Portal and the controls were horrible. I also used the second output from my graphics to a TV and when using full screen, it would go to the monitor instead.

Eventually I will be upgrading to Win7 but would like something to use in the mean time.
Try Boxee, it's by far the best Media Center frontend I've ever seen and used - It's built on XMBC which is also very succesful.

Not used it so much as to listen to my music (.flac lossless :hiya:) but I've used it just to test it and it seems to do the job for those who want to use their MC's to navigate their music.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I tried one called sesamTV. It worked good until I noticed despite my mp3's tagged, a lot of the titles came out garbled.

edit.

Tried Boxee. Hated it so uninstalled it. It is 100MB for start plus I don't want it going on online all the time. I only want to read my local media and the whole crashed when I blocked it on the firewall.

I didn't like the look of it either, very amateurish.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom