any feedback on the panasonic s97ebs

P

pdq

i am looking at buying the panny s97 dvd player and was wondering if anybody has got one and what they think of the PQ through the hdmi port.my display is the panny 37pv500 has anybody got the same setup if so what settings are you using?
i have seen a lot written in these forums about updating the firmware on the players, but ive never seen anything about where you get the updates from. any feedback to these questions much appreciated

It's a really good machine, and you get the firmware updates from here. I watch my DVD's via the HDMI output into my Pioneer plasma and am delighted with the results.

Any problems getting it, LMK and I'll help you out. I have just upgraded my own to 541, the latest I believe.

Cheers,

Martin.

thanks mjcairney, i could do with some help getting one everywhere says that they dont have them in stock anymore

pdq said:
thanks mjcairney, i could do with some help getting one everywhere says that they dont have them in stock anymore

Yeah I know - they have not been on sale in the UK for a couple of months now - keep your eyes on the "For Sale" forum as occasionally one comes up. If I come across anything, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Martin.

Hi again, looks like you might get one here although, at second look, it appears to be in the USA and I don't know if they'd ship or if you'd want them to.

Best of luck,

Martin.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Richer Sounds have 5 S97's showing in their clearance bargains online, last page. Check it out. I have an S97 and couldn't be happier with it, but they are like gold dust now. I got mine from Richer's, open-box, and got a 12 month warranty. Try and haggle if they are only offering 3 months. Good luck.
P.S.
You'll probably need to upgrade your firmware to 541 if you get one. It's easy though so don't let that put you off.

As Will Scarlet says, Richer Sounds have five left here at £169.95 each - you'd be advised to move quickly. I don't know if they're multi-region or region 2 only - you'll need to ask.

Cheers,

Martin.

mjcairney, got mine from Richer's as stated above and it was multi-region so I'd imagine these will be too. But definitely worth asking the question. Also, might be a simple handset hack to MR it anyway, but not sure.

Will Scarlet said:
mjcairney, got mine from Richer's as stated above and it was multi-region so I'd imagine these will be too. But definitely worth asking the question. Also, might be a simple handset hack to MR it anyway, but not sure.

Hi Will,

I don't know about the multi-region hack for the S97 - I know when I turn mine on, the display reads "Welcome to DVD World" - makes me wonder whether it's a simple handset hack or something a bit more complicated.

Anyway, it's a great machine and I cannot understand why Panasonic pulled it off the UK market so quickly.

Cheers,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

Unbelievable, I've had this player 5 months and never noticed that. :eek: Regards MR, I'm sure the RS machines are all MR, but in any case a quick search of this forum or the net should find out how easy it is to MR it if necessary. As you said, superb machine. Hard to imagine pdq could be disappointed should he/she get one and at £169 an absolute steal. :smashin:

P.S.
I notice you've got a 2805 too. Got mine a month ago and am loving it.

Will Scarlet said:
Hi Martin,

Unbelievable, I've had this player 5 months and never noticed that. :eek: Regards MR, I'm sure the RS machines are all MR, but in any case a quick search of this forum or the net should find out how easy it is to MR it if necessary. As you said, superb machine. Hard to imagine pdq could be disappointed should he/she get one and at £169 an absolute steal. :smashin:

P.S.
I notice you've got a 2805 too. Got mine a month ago and am loving it.

Obviously, we share good taste. :D :D :D

Cheers,

Martin.

thanks all for the link. i dont know if they have it or not for sure as i seem unable to access the "buy it now button" on thier website. will have to try ringing them tomoz

Hi pdq,

You wont be able to buy these online. You need to click on the S97 link and it will bring up the 5 shops that presently have them in stock. You will also see a phone number by each shop, ring to get details of the S97 they have, be it demo, open box, or B-grade, and the warranty offered with each. It should be possible to pay something like an extra £20 for peace of mind if they will only offer 3 months warranty initially. Don't worry too much, the S97 is very reliable and, even with an extra £20 for the additional warranty, is definitely worth it.

Good luck.

URGENT QUICK WARNING or QUESTION(!) re Panasonic DVD-S97 and 720p::

Spoke with RicherSounds - they told me that the S97 only outputs at 750p (and 1025i) - NOT 720p - and therefore would NOT work on 720p compatible HDTVs - such as the ever-popular Samsung DLPs - eg SP46L3 or SP46L6, etc....via HDMI

Is this really true, guys???

PS. On reading the reviews eg at www.homecinemachoice.com - they seem to indicate the same thing - ie only 750p - no mention of 720p

Please HELP!!!

you only need to post this once :(

Krishna said:
URGENT QUICK WARNING or QUESTION(!) re Panasonic DVD-S97 and 720p::

Spoke with RicherSounds - they told me that the S97 only outputs at 750p (and 1025i) - NOT 720p - and therefore would NOT work on 720p compatible HDTVs - such as the ever-popular Samsung DLPs - eg SP46L3 or SP46L6, etc....via HDMI

Is this really true, guys???

PS. On reading the reviews eg at www.homecinemachoice.com - they seem to indicate the same thing - ie only 750p - no mention of 720p

Please HELP!!!

What a load of nonsense.

My Pioneer plasma has 720 horizontal lines and my S97 gives a beautiful picture via HDMI.

I would have expected better from Richer Sounds personnel.

Cheers,

Martin.

Hey Martin - are you happy with you Panny S97 picture, or would you have gone for the new Oppo?? (PS I'd be using HDMI)

Krishna said:
Hey Martin - are you happy with you Panny S97 picture, or would you have gone for the new Oppo?? (PS I'd be using HDMI)

Have to say that I'm very happy with the S97 but cannot comment on the Oppo as I have never even set eyes on one.

Perhaps the best way to put it would be to say that I would not hesitate to buy another S97 if I needed another DVD player.

Cheers,

Martin.

Dear All, Thanks again for your excellent help and myth-smashing answers on the S97.

Good news - Even though RicherSounds are now 100% def sold out of the 4 or 5 they had 2 days ago nationally, i may still be able to get one from an ex-charity owner
Bad news - it's missing the remote!!

Guys - any idea where i can get a replacement? Tried google.co.uk and the various remote control selling site - they only seem to sell up to S-75 - not the S97 ....
Please heeeeelpppp!!!
Thanks!

hi mjcairney
not been able to get hold of one, richer sounds have sold out -as is usual with my luck, i cant understand why panasonic have pulled it so soon as from what ive read its a great player.
i dont want to spend a lot on a player i just wanted a decent (cheap) player to keep me going till Blu-ray - Hd dvd have been out for a while.

if i dont get a player before then knowing me ill rush out and buy one of the first released and live to regret it........

if you do hear of one going let me know mate (you could save me thousands...lol)

pdq,

If I come across one anywhere, I'll let you know for sure.

Krshna,

I don't know where you might get your hands on an S97 remote control other than direct from PAnasonic themselves - have you tried an email to them? It might be worth it.

Best of luck to both of you.

Cheers,

Martin.

pdq said:
first released and live to regret it........

if you do hear of one going let me know mate (you could save me thousands...lol)

Should have asked, do I get a share of the thousands that I may save you?

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Cheers,

Martin.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom