Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Any familiar with Panasonic MS2 S-VHS Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by manc in Cornwal, Sep 2, 2003.

1. manc in Cornwal

manc in Cornwal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have dusted down one of these from the attic and all seems well, apart from the small matter that it does not record a picture. Anyone know how good these camcorders are and if it is worth having it repaired? Reason I want to get it working is that looking at the opticals, I assume it could be good for its zoom and bright lens (F1.4 I think) and so capture the picture on my Sony TRV 22 via the S VHS cable.

2. RingoDave

RingoDave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread is over ten years ago. I have recently done exactly the same and brought down my MS2 which I used to use almost on a daily basis. After checking everything out, I found that it all works perfectly EXCEPT that there is no picture in the viewfinder! This makes effective filming next to impossible.
    Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this? The connection to the viewer is still there, as that is where he red light signaling recording is situated and it is working fine.
    I really don't want to start taking the viewfinder apart, but it seems like the best answer as I really like this camcorder.
    :lease:

3. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Just a thought - is that viewfinder a B&W crt? Many were and they need a EHT supply (probably over 400v) to shift the electrons.
    HV PSU's are notoriously subject to failure and leaving it unused may have let some damp enter. The current levels are minute (but can give you a nasty shock!!!). I doubt you'll find anything inside the viewfinder apart from an encapsulated Lump - do take care!!!

Old camcorders may seem attractive esp if you have some unused tapes, but the sensors will be pretty tired and resolution poor, as VHS ( and SVHS) are analogue systems of poor resolution by today's standards.
    Where they score is their mass means you can take lovely hand/shoulder shots without wobbles.

The definition when converted to DVD will not win any gasps. Probably low-light issues, (whatever the f/numbers) and modern CMOS sensors are MUCH more sensitive, I understand by a considerable margin.

If you factor-in the cost of a trip somewhere, then an analogue camcorder is only useful as a prop in a 1980's film. Far better to spend £500 on something new which is easy to carry and has battery life in hours.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  4. Emerton

Emerton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  5. shanhaojia

shanhaojia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right,Far better to spend £500 on something new which is easy to carry and has battery life in hours.

6. PR1999Essex

PR1999Essex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to get mine working, to record old tapes to a PC, no viewfinder image, no SVHS output, mechanics seem fine. I have a Panasonic LCD display (bought with it at the time) just need to power it up and see if an image appears, also will replace the very small battery in the base first (suspect it is for the internal clock). Will update later in the week. The original batteries seem unable to be charged; but they are very old now. Alternatively does anyone know of a repair person??
    In its day, this video camera was a top of the range domestic model.