Any expert help please...

S

superaffordable

Hi

This is the situation. I have a brand new hi-fi system Thecnics SV80 which also plays DVD in dd5.1 but does not have dts or dp2
Here is a picture

I am quite happy with its performance in both DVD and CD but I want to upgrade for lack of sound formats

I try to sell it but I am having problems doing and I am not prepare to lose on it any more than £150 from new

I will happily keep it while still buying a proper AV amplifier but what I really dont want is having to have so many speakers on the room, so after all the above talk and talk here is the question(s)

1 - Can I take off the centre and rear speakers in the hi-fi and just leave the two front speakers to play CD's without harming the unit?

2 - Still better, can I just get the two front speakers from the AV amplifier (hopefuly good hi spec speakers) and have it connected to both (at the same time), the AV amplifier and the hi-fi, and then play either one as needed?

2.a - Will said hi-fi be able to run a hi spec speakers without loosing in quality and without harming the unit?

Thanks and sorry if any of the questions are quite silly

Superaffordable.
I am no expert but the answers too your questions are:

1: Yes

2: Not easily, will require external switching arrangement to avoid fireworks

3: If i understand you correctly then see number 2.

Regards

Steve.

Thanks Steve

Number 2.a question was asumming my existing unit using two high specs speakers (rather than just the existing ones) but on its own, ie, with such speakers connected only to the hi-fi and not to the AV as well

Once more thing

We all hear how those who knows or claim to knows says that an AV reciever does normally have not much quality when playing music

Now my questions are:

1 - Do they mean they have not quality enough for them (which mean to have a good deal of knowledge and "better ears" or do they mean even for the ordinary public like myself?

2 - Would a relatively cheap unit like my Thechnics (almost £600) play better music than an expensive AV say of the lines of the Denon 3803 or Pioneer 2011?

The reason I ask this is because if specially the answer to question 2 is no, then I can see no point at all in keeping my existing unit

Superaffordable.
The compromises present when playing music through (most) AV integrated amps are based on a like for like cost comparison with a 2 channel amp. i.e an 800gbp integrated multichannel AV amp will not perform to the same standard (or anywhere like) as an 800gbp 2 channel (dedicated) stereo amp.
This of course (as you quite rightly state) does not take into account that a person may well be very satisfied with the 2 channel stereo performance from his 800gbp integrated multichannel AV amp particularly if they have only a Comet sold midi/mini system as a frame of reference.
Only you can decide this, but the general rule of thumb is unless you are ready to step up onto the top flight stage then if at all possible not to expexct to much musically from an AV amp and indeed maybe run 2 systems if absolute music fidelity is a criteria.
As to whether (musically) your Technics is audibly better/worse than a Denon 3803 i have absolutely not the first idea. But given your predicament/requirements and known pedigree i would not hesitate for one moment to ditch the Technics for a 3803 which would give you a vast improvement in multi-channel performance, great connectivity, flexibility and control, new formats and functionality - bit of a no-brainer in my book.
Hope this helps.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom