Any experience with I LumoS LED strip lighting?

Tolq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are thinking of replacing the rather ugly ceiling light in our living room with LED strips around the perimeter of the room (mounted as uplights on coving). The room is about 6 x 4.6 metres with a few alcoves giving us a circumference of roughly 21.5 metres.

From what I've seen, the maximum single strip length for 24V/12V strip lights is 10/5 metres, and I had started looking into hooking up a bunch of 5-10m strips starting at different points around the perimeter and overlapping to create a seamless perimeter of light.

Then I came across the I LumoS strips, which are connected straight to mains - making them 240V strips, I guess. Since I am just going to have the lights wired up to a regular light switch or a dimmer switch on the wall, these seem suitable for my purposes, but I was wondering if anybody in here has any experience with them - or perhaps longer high voltage LED strips in general, and could offer some insight?

I'm using 24v Ledridge triac drivers and strips with great success. Frankly the idea of a 240v strip is scary!

I don't have such long runs but I know some people have had problems with uneven luminance over longer strips. Ledridge drivers support parallel connections meaning you can drive many shorter strips and that's working great for me. They seem to work better than Sunpower strips that I used to use as well, but having said that the tech is changing all of the time.

I'm using 24v Ledridge triac drivers and strips with great success. Frankly the idea of a 240v strip is scary!

I don't have such long runs but I know some people have had problems with uneven luminance over longer strips. Ledridge drivers support parallel connections meaning you can drive many shorter strips and that's working great for me. They seem to work better than Sunpower strips that I used to use as well, but having said that the tech is changing all of the time.

Why is the idea of a 240V strip scary? It will be running at above 2m, so nobody is ever going to come close to touching it while live. An electrician is helping with the install.

If I can avoid the hassle of more separate components like drivers/transformers, then that's my preference.

Do you have any links to the strips you're using and the parallel drivers?

I think in the past 12v was used to reduce the amount of heat. I guess this is less of an issue theses days with led.

Are they dimmer-able. I would say this would by a key fact in the type of lighting.

Yep, fully dimmable.
I am guessing that the issue of uneven luminance is mitigated by higher voltage, but I don't know?

Another factor is the cost. I could get a 25m strip of this and a dimmer switch for just about £200, which seems quite good compared to the cost of going 12/24V.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom