1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any expats out there?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fatsia japonica, Jul 9, 2005.

1. fatsia japonica

fatsia japonica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people,

I am hopefully moving to Spain in the Autumn taking the wife and two kids to the Alicante region. I was just wondering if there is anyone with any experience of living in Spain. The thought of it is really exciting but it worries me because of the kids education. My house is on the market and we have placed a substantial deposit on a off plan villa, so there really isnt any going back now.
    I guess I'm just after any views of anyone who may have done this kind of thing before.

Regards

Jon

2. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
  3. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    I lived in Tenerife for about 2 years, and enjoyed it emencely.

Eductaion from what I understood from fellow expats with kids was that it was superb.

One thing to remember is that in spain any thing that you buy, you also buy ant debts associated with it, so in the case of a car all unpaid tax, parking fines etc. This is especially worth baring in mind with property I know of a property where taxes had not been paid for 20 years it seemed like a good deal, untill the independent engish - spanish solisitors found out that there was over £70K owing on the property through non paid taxes and fines. The normal situation in spain is for the buyer and seller to use the same solisitor, this means that they just sit in the middle and deal with the paper work, they do not do any searches etc. you are meant to do these yourself. My advice would be to use a spanish solisitor based in the UK

4. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    I have one of those growing in my garden- otherwise known as false castor oil plant :)

5. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    Hi Jon

If you're not learning Spanish already then I'd suggest you start taking lessons (from a native speaker) before you come over to Spain. Don't fall into the trap of presuming that everyone over here speaks English. Life will be a lot easier if you can communicate properly. As for your kids, once they're in School they'll pick it up very quickly. The younger they are, the quicker they'll learn it. Just don't be upset when they can gabble away in Spanish and you can't! LOL

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    Spanish isnt all that difficult to learn as its completely phonetic ie the vowels are always pronounced as in the alphabet. The hardest bit are the verb tenses ,sentence construction is rather like French and of course you have to bear in mind the gender.Otherwise easy peasy( unless you want to get into formal Spanish which I'd advise you avoid like the plague)

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,373
    Are you thure that thpanish ith ath eathy ath you thay it ith :D

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    My wifes parents live in Spain for 8 years. They loved it. Johnmace has pointed out some key problems, and getting a good solicitor is Vital. This is because many Spanish officials are still, erm', working on the old "you scratch my back" code of conduct. Therefore a solicitor who knows the local officaldom will save you a fortune and avoid a disaster when buying houses, etc. For example where my outlaws lived the English were being sold houses already sold. Under Spanish law that's just hard luck. It's illegal, but if you don't check properly then forget getting your money back.

I would also strongly advise learning Spanish. That will also save you a whole load of hassle. If you think mechanics in this country are bad............ :D

As for Education, the Spanish use the same system as France, Germany and the bulk of European countries and the standard is getting better all the time. There is a website to check, if you want it I will post it.

Overall their experience was a good one. They loved the Spanish, and once over the intial culture shock, and the lack of a good solicitor was sorted they had a good time.

9. fatsia japonica

fatsia japonica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses people, I have ordered my Spanish language cd's on ebay just to get a feel for the lingo, Mr Overkill please do post the link for the schools as so far I have not been able to find too much info.

Keep em coming people.

And yes fatsia japonica is the false caster oil plant, I'm a gardener and have loads in my garden.

10. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    So am I :)

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    have alook for the cd set by Michel Thomas if you didn't already.......he has a great way of teaching.....my Mum used it when she retired out to Tenerife a few years and it gave her a good head start. It's no substitute for proper lessons but will get you underway pretty quickly.

12. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    España es un pais muy lindo con mucha naturaleza y muchisima historia . Yo prefiero argentina porque es al pais de mi nacimiento la gente son muy simpatica y me gusta el futbol.El mejor aviso que te pudo dar es que te vallas a Alicante y vives alli algunos meses asi te podras dar cuenta la forma de vivir alli.
    Buena suerte :thumbsup:

13. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't add too much I am afraid as although I have a place in spain and am out here as I type in Puerto Banus....I don't know much about the education system.

However, I second the need to get a muy muy bien solicitor as buying can be tricky.

I am also trying to learn the lingo but haven´t got much past dos Sammy Magil por favor....

by the way hope the weather is nice back home.........93 degrees by the pool here today !!!

14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    you lucky devil!! :)....am hoping to buy a place into my pension fund next year when the rules change

15. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    103 here in Cornwall :p :hiya: