Any electricians that can advise?

GTeng

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just before I phone a local guy, is there any point in asking him if there's anything that can be done to tidy this up?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447667414.559006.jpg

Not sure about tidying it up, but that looks like an extremely old fuse box that I'd consider getting changed for a consumer unit

As mentioned above, changing the fuse board for a more modern consumer unit could eliminate most of what is there.
The bottom right looks like a feed to an out building possibly that's not in use as there's no fuse in (although there is a possibility that could be bypassed and connected straight to a fuse in the main board), and the top right looks like a doorbell transformer which also looks like it's not in use as no visable doorbell wires connected. Both could be removed if unused and unwanted. All three fuseboards could be combined into one consumer unit so you'd just have your main incoming fuse (top left), meter and consumer board.

Couldn't you just box it in.

I would say the bottom right is more likely the electricity supply coming into the house rather than a supply going to a outside. Otherwise, where is the source going into the meter!

The big black wire bottom right is unlikely to be the mains in as there too many circuits "before" the meter. The mains in is probably the one I have arrowed:

upload_2015-11-16_11-10-47.png

It appears to be coming out of a hole in the wall.

So you could/would keep the black box to the left of it, which goes to the meter, and then probably change everything else after the meter for a modern consumer unit.

Depends on how big a box the OP wants to still comply with regulations.

If following the IET Wiring Regulations 17th Edition, you need to comply to BS EN 61439-3 and i) needs to be built of non combustible material or ii) be non combustible and comply to regulation 132.12

Not sure about tidying it up, but that looks like an extremely old fuse box that I'd consider getting changed for a consumer unit

That's on the cards anyway thanks [emoji106]

As mentioned above, changing the fuse board for a more modern consumer unit could eliminate most of what is there.
The bottom right looks like a feed to an out building possibly that's not in use as there's no fuse in (although there is a possibility that could be bypassed and connected straight to a fuse in the main board), and the top right looks like a doorbell transformer which also looks like it's not in use as no visable doorbell wires connected. Both could be removed if unused and unwanted. All three fuseboards could be combined into one consumer unit so you'd just have your main incoming fuse (top left), meter and consumer board.

Thanks, bottom right is the feed to an electric cooker which we don't have that's why the fuse is out. There is power going to the detached garage but not sure which one that is.
That sounds ideal, doorbell could be removed as its a wireless one now.

Couldn't you just box it in.

That's the plan, but would rather it was a lot smaller than the mess it currently is!

I would say the bottom right is more likely the electricity supply coming into the house rather than a supply going to a outside. Otherwise, where is the source going into the meter!

As above, the bottom right is an electric cooker feed that's unfused as unused.

Depends on how big a box the OP wants to still comply with regulations.

What's the regulations on boxing in?

The big black wire bottom right is unlikely to be the mains in as there too many circuits "before" the meter. The mains in is probably the one I have arrowed:

So you could/would keep the black box to the left of it, which goes to the meter, and then probably change everything else after the meter for a modern consumer unit.
I was questioning the number of "boxes" the stuff on the right was going through but I did spot that wire coming through the wall as it initially looked like it was coming from the trunking.

View attachment 646493

Thanks IG, I presume that the meter can be moved up a bit too and make it easier to box in?

@GTeng I think you've seen it but I posted the regs just before your post :)

You can move a meter, but you have to request to get it moved.

Thanks IG, I presume that the meter can be moved up a bit too and make it easier to box in?

The meter is tamperproof so you'd have to get the Electricity Board in to do that. Although if it's only screwed to that board and not into the wall behind it you could move that whole board up. Check with your Electrician though,as that may be against regs. @Elrond any thoughts on that?

@GTeng I think you've seen it but I posted the regs just before your post :)

You can move a meter, but you have to request to get it moved.

Thanks @Elrond, will have a look at them when I'm ready to do it! That's a bugger, it's hardly worth it for the sake of a few inches!

Can't you ask your electricity supplier for a new meter, it is looking a little old fashioned now, if you ask they will probably do it FOC.

The meter is tamperproof so you'd have to get the Electricity Board in to do that. Although if it's only screwed to that board and not into the wall behind it you could move that whole board up. Check with your Electrician though,as that may be against regs. @Elrond any thoughts on that?
Not sure because as you said, the tamper proof bit is the reason for needing the supplier to move it, but does that mean you also can't move as wooden board it is connected to if you can live with odd cable lengths.

I suppose it comes down to the fact that the cable entering the meter from the supply and the meter itself is theirs. So moving the meter, will be moving their property. It depends how anal the supplier is.

It is nothing that a phone call to the supplier wouldn't answer :)

As a disclaimer, while I am not an electrician, I am a member of The IET as a qualified Engineer. I would therefore highly recommend the OP to speak to a Part P registered electrician as any work will need signing off.

Think you need to look at the picture again. Two grey cables (aka tails) coming from incoming fuse (another big giveaway) at top left go to the meter, also all the earth cable terminate back to there too . There is nothing from the bottom right cable going to the meter, it's fed straight from main fuse board. Trust me the top left is the incoming feed (from the black armored cable as pointed out by IronGiant above).

Not sure because as you said, the tamper proof bit is the reason for needing the supplier to move it, but does that mean you also can't move as wooden board it is connected to if you can live with odd cable lengths.

I suppose it comes down to the fact that the cable entering the meter from the supply and the meter itself is theirs. So moving the meter, will be moving their property. It depends how anal the supplier is.

It is nothing that a phone call to the supplier wouldn't answer :)

As a disclaimer, while I am not an electrician, I am a member of The IET as a qualified Engineer. I would therefore highly recommend the OP to speak to a Part P registered electrician as any work will need signing off.

An electrician will be involved, I do minor stuff but that's way beyond my scope!!

In all honesty, how would they know it's been moved? If the board itself can be moved.

I'll speak to the electrician and get a quote, I was just asking if it was feasible to tidy it up at all, thanks for all the help and advice! Might even phone the supplier and see about a new meter too.

In all honesty, how would they know it's been moved? If the board itself can be moved.
If the wall was repainted and cables left tidy, they probably couldn't.

Depends on how risk adverse you are ;)

If the wall was repainted and cables left tidy, they probably couldn't.

Depends on how risk adverse you are ;)

That's the plan, it's an under stairs cupboard I was going to repurpose as a toy den.

The house has just been bought, I could blame the previous owners [emoji6]

The simple answer to the original question "is there anything that can be done to tidy this up?" is, wait for it:

"YES" :cool:

Now get that Sparkie in to advise :D

That's the plan, it's an under stairs cupboard I was going to repurpose as a toy den.

The house has just been bought, I could blame the previous owners [emoji6]
Going by the fuse box, it is probably more than 10 years old. Did you solicitor not raise questions about the wiring and when it was last inspected?

Although, just because it is more than 10 years old, it doesn't mean that it needs replacing.

The simple answer to the original question "is there anything that can be done to tidy this up?" is, wait for it:

"YES" :cool:

Now get that Sparkie in to advise :D

:D without costing an arm and a leg, sounds like it won't.

Going by the fuse box, it is probably more than 10 years old. Did you solicitor not raise questions about the wiring and when it was last inspected?

Although, just because it is more than 10 years old, it doesn't mean that it needs replacing.

Previous owner was my dad, we've lived in it for last 6 years so there's minimal assurances or questions! The surveyor did mention it was an old fuse unit and could do with being replaced but didn't say it was necessary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom