Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Any DVD-RAM writer owners out there?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by DaveP, Sep 23, 2004.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a new DVD writer, an LG, and it will read and write to DVD-RAM disks.

I was reading yesterday that such a disk should appear to XP as a normal disk and that I could drag and drop files to it.

This doesn't appear to be the case with mine. It comes up with a message saying that this is a read only disk.

The disk is from my stand alone Panny DVD recorder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Do you have InCD running - for some reason this programme (supplied with LG drives) prevents normal operation of your drive? By default you should be able to drag and drop files to DVD-RAM without any drivers etc - I certainly can on my LG4120.

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    My LG 4040B drive required drivers to get it to view as a dvdram drive, but i think that was just while win xp was new. I dont think I have installed them since my last format and it still works. You can still give them a go, they should be on the LG website...

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to both of you. I have had problems with InCD in the past so that is disabled.

What it may be is that I have the drive in an external USB enclosure.

I'll move it into the case and see if that improves the situation.

Dave

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a bit of an update.

It's now back in the PC and I still have the same problem.

I have tried the following:

Removed from Device Manager, shut down and disconnected. Powered back up and shut down. Re-connected and re-started. Device re-discovered but kept the drive letter I had previously allocated to it.

Removed all of the Roxio software including Drag to Disk.

Did a search on Google and found that there could be issues with the filing system? Anyway, I decided to format the disk using XP and now I can copy files and re-name them with no problem. The disk wont work in the Panny of course, so that doesn't really solve my problem.

Can anyone else use these disks in a PC as prepared by the Panasonic recorder?

Thanks

Dave

6. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The disks are probably finalised using the panasonic recorder.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip but I have never finalised a DVD-RAM disk and I have no idea why anyone would.

I record something to a freshly formatted disk and then put it straight in the PC. If I do a properties on a file it shows as read only and it will not let me change that attribute. It's as if it sees it as a CD-Rom or DVD-Rom.

There was an article in the MSKB about a similar problem here but I think this is now out of date as the options are no longer available to change.

Further research points me towards this statement on the KB site:
    So it looks like I've got to copy the files to the HD before I can rename them. It's a very irritating and time consuming process!

Thanks

Dave

8. jstubbs

jstubbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Hopefully you haven't changed the writer. But if mine is anything to go by you have to change the recording properties of the drive before writing to RAM discs or CDs it either does one or the other. However my machine warns me that it is set to CD writing as it fires up and asks me if I wish to change it, so have you installed all the drivers that came with the drive?