Any DVD player with the cd Qlty of Arcam FMJ cd23 ??

JSW

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As can get an FMJ23 for £789

or a CD92 for £499

?????

Originally posted by JSW
As can get an FMJ23 for £789 or a CD92 for £499 ?

FMJ-CD23 @ £1099 or DiVA CD92 @ £849, less 10% maybe normally, so fantastic prices.
Arcam CD23 is the best CD player I have heard, with CD92 very good too.
Of current players, I have tried Denon 3800 and the two Arcam DVD players, for CDs in my opinion the two Arcam CD players are noticeably better.

Thanks,

Now how much better is the FMJ CD23 over the CD92 ?

Bry

I'm not very good at describing differences :blush:
I like all music from heavy classical through to punk, but mainly I like seventies AOR, Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Steely Dan / seventies progressive or metal, blah,blah,blah.

I have a separate Linn, Naim, Epos system for 2-channel, before I settled on a Naim CD player ( mainly for aesthetics / matching ) I tried the two Arcams, having had previous Arcam CD players / DACs.

The FMJ had more " air " around individual instruments with great detail, separation and imaging, with tracks that thrash, say The Damned first album or albums by Dead Kennedys, Angelic Upstarts, The Business, The Clash, Joy Division, Iggy Pop, Cocksparrer, and so on the FMJ was clear, precise and energetic but not harsh.
What Hi-Fi use a term " unyielding " , probably doesn't mean too much as What Hi-Fi is a comic, but the ace for the FMJ is that it is not unyielding.

I'll have to let the experts describe the difference between FMJ and CD92.

Thanks again,

Just throw another in the mix as its been getting pretty damn good reviews Rotel RCD-02 ??

The Meridian 596 is a very impressive CD player, but it's pricey. New it'll set you back about £2500. Arcam's own FMJ DV27 is pretty good - possibly on a par with the CD92, but not up to the standard of the FMJ CD23.

Originally posted by NicolasB
The Meridian 596 is a very impressive CD player, but it's pricey. New it'll set you back about £2500. Arcam's own FMJ DV27 is pretty good - possibly on a par with the CD92, but not up to the standard of the FMJ CD23.

Hi Nicolas,

If I where to spend that much I would be at least looking at the Marantz DV12SI and then if that much would stretch to the Tag.

Only thing with the Marantz is its poor audio jitter whereas the Tag's is so low as to be n/a.

Originally posted by NicolasB
The DV27 is £1600 new, which is quite a bit less than you'd pay for a Tag. :)

But surely due for replacement ???

Originally posted by gringottsdirect
FMJ-DV27 ( unofficial " + " version ) replacement is available now.

Why unofficial and how do you tell thats what you will get ???

Originally posted by JSW
Why unofficial and how do you tell thats what you will get ???

Why unofficial? I guess that with upgrade to DV88, dealers and Arcam were left with redundant stock; and didn't want a repeat.

Ensure you dealer orders one with software version 1.8 or above (it says on side of box), and it has Lt75 or Lt76 mech.

Details of changes listed here...
http://www.envytech.co.uk/dv88/
The latest version is also an "official" PAL progressive DVD players, as is DV88+.

If you've already got an older DV27, you can upgrade to latest specs via usual Arcam support.

I have latest DV27, and have to say video is fantastic but sound is excellent (although I haven't compared to CD23).

StooMonster

It should have the Vaddis 5 chipset rather than the 3 ..like the DV88 to + spec.

I think all DV27 should be new models..and I'm sure u could specify that to the dealer when ordering.

Matt

There are two upgrades to the DV27 that you might have heard about.

1) Processor upgrade from Vaddis 3 to Vaddis 5. All new DV27s now have the new processor and sell for the same price as the old ones (£1600). Old ones can be upgraded for ~£250. It is arguable as to whether you will derive much direct benefit from this upgrade by itself, however it is a necessary precursor for...

2) Upgrade to play DVD-Audio discs. Not yet available (AFAIK). This will cost ~£200 for a new player but you must have the updated processor, so it's more expensive for an older player. Processor and DVD-A upgrade together (for older players) will be bundled for ~£400. Players will be available with the DVD-A ability installed, but they will cost £200 more than the standard version (i.e. about £1800).

Other points of interest: The new DV88+ also uses the Vaddis 5 processor. This gives it out-of-the-box progressive scan ability. The new DV27 does not actually use the Vaddis 5's progressive scan capabilities, however, it still uses the Silicon Image 503 circuitry.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom