1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any DVD/HD recorders have SACD playback

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jdenver, Jul 10, 2005.

1. jdenver

jdenver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a DVD/HD recorder which has SACD playback as well. Are there any out there or will I have to buy two units?

2. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    No and Yes:

http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/whichdvd.HTML

This link will answer your question very well. Only the top of the range Panasonic has DVD-A support. So that's not much better.

I own a Pioneer DV-868 for my playback needs and will be getting a separate recorder. It would be great if a HD/DVD Recorder also did DVD-A and SACD but they don't and I suspect we won't see one anytime soon (if at all). The only reason I can think of is it's considered two markets.

p.s - Why do you only want SACD? Personally now I have both DVD-A and SACD I wouldn't want just one. Both have killer aps!

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    If you want to benefit from the enhanced quality of SACD/DVD-Audio you are much better having a dedicated DVD player anyway - no DVD recorder can match the likes of the Pioneer/Denon/Arcam ranges for playback of DVDs, CDs or SACDs/DVD-As.

4. jdenver

jdenver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Philips DVP 720 This dose SACD but does it do DVD-A? If not what is around that dose both formats

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    That is a DVD player - not a recorder - and it doesn't support DVD-Audio. If your after a DVD player that supports SACD and DVD-Audio then there is loads of choice - Denon or Pioneer for example.

6. jdenver

jdenver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I will have to look at a separate DVD player so can you give me some models numbers to look for Im looking at the cheaper end of the market or even 2nd hand