• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Any downside to buying a Wii from the US?

gr0uty

Hi guys,

I have a friend who works cabin crew for BA and flies to the states a fewtimes a month. He can bring just about anything back with him so I asked him to see how much a Wii would cost. Turns out about £100 and at that price im finding it hard to resist. What would the drawbacks be owning a US Wii?. Would I have to buy a new power supply?etc..

Thanks.

hutch

Distinguished Member
Games are region locked so you can only play US games, you will need a stepdown transformer and I would assume you can only access US online content, wouldnt bother personally.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Games are region locked. Only US games will play.
Only US Gamecube games will play on it.
A step down transformer or third party multi voltage Wii power supply is needed.
Virtual console games are region specific ( a different selection in different regions ).
The Weather channel is North and South America specific ( although you can look around the globe to find London and it's weather ).
The warranty will not be valid here.
Also the Wii is going to cost you more then £100 especially when you include taxes. It's more like £135.
Furthermore the Wii is stil very scarce in the US and trying to find one even now is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. Unless your friend is willing to take the time to go from shop to shop till he finds one it may not be a very good idea.

gr0uty

Thanks for the replies. I think i'll leave it then. Seems to much hassle for a few quid saving. They seem to be in plentiful suppy here now.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies. I think i'll leave it then. Seems to much hassle for a few quid saving. They seem to be in plentiful suppy here now.

Moogle gives a good little run down there on the key differences, although I would still consider getting the US console if only for one reason....game release dates.

Despite the fact quite a few releases have near enough the same release dates both here and in the US, there are and likely always will be plenty of exceptions. Take Excite Truck, Trauma Centre: Second Opinion & Super Paper Mario as examples, all were released months earlier in the on US NTSC than UK PAL.

I guess that only matters if like alot of people you're impatient when it comes to waiting for games. Certainly something to think about though.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom