1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any downside in importing a Gamecube

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Jules12, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have never imported a console before, is there any downside in importing consoles?
    I know you need the step down that comes with them but anything else ??

Any help appreciated or advice just to get one because I am missing so much !

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I always buy Import consoles as, in the past, UK versions have been dreadful by comparison. For too long UK gamers didn't know what they where missing out on, content with playing games at 50hz and borders at the top and bottom of the screen.

Import consoles run faster and games are usually full-screen. I bought a JPN Gamecube upon release in September and did the US conversion as soon as the plans were released (simple solder job). I can now play JPN and US region games at the flick of a switch. Obviously I cannot play UK games but why would I want to? One annoying thing about the import Gamecube though is that it has no RGB out so you will have to make do with S-Video. Alternatively you can get a 480p signal using component/VGA if you have the suitable equipment (in which case definately go for an import).

So there are really only 2 drawbacks to importing:

1. Do you want to be able to play UK Games?
    2. NO RGB out. (although a conversion is in the works).

The UK Gamecube will retail for a very reasonable £150 and will apparantly support RGB out as standard. Though it is still unclear whether a 60hz full screen full speed option will be included. This may inevitably come down to developer support for PAL optimised games. Therefore, for me, UK gaming is still not worth the risk and I would still go down the import route.

If you have any more specific questions about the import gamecube or where to buy, I will be more than happy to answer them.

3. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers Groundy for your reply, thnaks for the comments.
    I have decided go for an import and can't wait now to get it.
    One more question is there any way of just importing games yourself from the internet without customs issues? Any good sites ? or do you have to pay about the £50/£60 quid mark for each game.

Cheers for the advice again.

4. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    The customs issues are the pits. Peolple should be allowed to buy goods from wherever they want. I think the EU and Euro will break down a few barriers in Europe, but there still seems a big divide between America and Europe.

Boring old me is going to play safe and wait until May 3 to avoid complications. I'm skint now anyway so it's a bit academic!

RDB:)

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jules:

You can order games of the net with no problems whatsoever. You don't usually get hit for customs charges - in fact I never have on games. The three main import outlets I order from are:

http://www.dvdboxoffice.com - (Very slow but cheap, £25-£32)

http://www.cduniverse.com - (Fast, reliable, £40-£45)

http://www.tronixweb.com - (Fast, helpful, £40-£50)

I assume you know where you are getting your import Gamcube but if not, try:

http://www.lik-sang.com

or

http://www.yesasia.com

Make sure you purchase a JAP/USA modified unit so you can play JPN and USA games. Alternatively, you can get the conversion done at a later date (by me if you like).

One last thing, make sure your TV can handle an NTSC 3.58 Mhz signal.

Thanks.

6. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks again groundy for the links for software. I have purchased my gamecube from lik sang. I must say very imprssed with them so far, quick service nice little e-mails to keep you in touch. Shouldn't be long till its hear now hopefully!!

I have ordered one that can play US and Jap games but to be honest I don't see myself playing a lot of Jap imports, you surely can't understand what is going on in some of the more intricate games can you ? I assume they are all in Japanese??

Call me stupid but the enjoyment must be lost?

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do the USA cubes need a step down convertor, and if so, where do you get them from?

8. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    grounder

When ordering games do you ask for any special actions to be taken by any of these guys or do you not need to ?

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You don't need to ask for any special labels etc. DVDBoxOffice and CDUniverse ship the games the same way as their DVD's. Tronix are very accomodating in this area also and will gladly mark down the value of the games if you are ordering more than 1, although this is really only a concern if you use the FEDEX shipping method. The standard USPS service comes via regular post in the UK and you should have no worries about extra costs this way.

10. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Groundy
    thanks again for your help I took your advice and tried cduniverse last night.
    It shouldn't be long now for the cube, can't wait!

Thanks for all your help in this much appreciated.

11. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You wrote:

Alternatively you can get a 480p signal using component/VGA if you have the suitable equipment (in which case definately go for an import).

Can you explain more here. I have Sony 44p2s projection TV. WHat connections are you talking here? Let me know... I would like better picture

12. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u require a component cable that plugs into the digital out of the gamecube, which u then plug into the component input on your tv/projector

13. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To get a 480p signal, you require either the Component Video cable or the D-Terminal Digital Video Cable. Your Sony may or may not have Component inputs - look for 3 phono terminals coloured Red/Green/Blue. If it does have them, you're in luck and you will get a significantly improved and more stable image than standard S-Video.

14. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok

on the front of my TV is a little flap, in there is 3 phono sockets.

The current cable I have is 3 phono sockets plugged into a SCART adapter which goes in the back of my television?

I did have it plugged into that but then i thought it was tidier to put it into the scart at the back?

2) Is there a batter wire around than the one I have (stolen off my N64). Its not exactly fat and exepnsive looking hehe

15. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume the lead u previously used for your n64 was a COMPOSITE lead, (consisting of one red, one white, for sound and one yellow phono plug, for video), that u plugged into the front of your tv. as mentioned by groundy, u r looking for 3 phono inputs coloured red, green and blue. if u don't have this, the best picture u will probably get is via a s video lead.

16. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had a quick read through the specs of your Sony. It does not support Component Input or Progressive Scan so you are out of luck there. However, do make sure you use S-Video for the next best thing. Your set does have the bonus of DRC technology so you should be getting a increased resolution over a standard image anyway. In fact, it's probably every bit as good as a 480p progressive image.

17. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Can someone confirm how the digital output works? Will I be able to connect it to a VGA input on a projector? Will it send out the correct signals to be picked up as VGA if I enable progressive scan via the digital video cable? I thought it was just the Japanese equivalent of SCART RGB (PS2 has a similar connector)

If it supported progressive scan, then I could save the component connector for an XBox.

The UK model will have 60Hz support. You enable it by holding down the B button. I imagine this means that all games in PAL territories will have to support 60Hz.

some, not all. Smash brothers for example has an option to switch all in game text to English. Doshin the Giant and Sonic Adventure have options to select several European languages. Bit odd, and I've never seen it before in Japanese games, but welcome.

Japanese games are more expensive though, so I'd stick mostly with US games.

And who knows, a three way mod might still be possible to play UK games.

18. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    the component out is routed bia the d-link output on back of GameCube. You can get a D-link to D connector for DVI or D-link to component.
    GameCube doesn't support VGA, so unless your PJ has component through HD15, you'll need to use your component inputs.
    I was playing Rogue Leader tonight (US GC) and it gives the option to select progressive in the game menu, but only opens up if you have D-link cable connected..
    Hope this helps..

19. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    unfortunately I don;t think a three way mod will be easy to come by. Jpn/US machines don;t have any PAL circuitry as I believe it, so my understanding is the PAL model has a new video chipset. This also blows the chances of an easy RGB mod for the import machines..:(

20. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    OK, but maybe the UK one can be three way moddable.

I'm not convinced about the different video circuitry. The UK version supports 60Hz, and both PS2 and Dreamcast Japanese units can play PAL games after modding. Straightforward economies of scale and production would encourage one chip for all territories.

But We'll see. I'm happy with getting US games 6 months before they come out in the UK :)

21. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    groundy,

but thereis a flap at the front of the TV that contains the three phono sockets you mention (i think for camcorders) two for sound one for vision.

??? confused

22. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    dunno Richard. The N64 had a different video chip, which is why the UK N64 couldn;t be RGB converted but NTSC models could..
    I do hope it's possible but I don;t hold out much hope..

23. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    stewarthollyhead:

What you have is Composite, not Component. Your phonos will be Red/White (for audio L/R) and Yellow (for the Video Signal). The two systems are completely different as Component carries only video split 3 ways for better seperation.

You N64 lead will be as good as any as long as you have it attached to AV2 or AV3 and configured for S-Video. It may not be a fully wired or S-Video compatible cable though so check it out by switching the input on the TV, i.e., there should be an S symbol when you switch to the Gamcube input.

As I said though - the Sony's DRC technology will be giving you a better picture than most.