1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any discernable diffference?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by monkeyboy69, Oct 28, 2005.

1. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hopefully this will be a simple quicky

when comparing say a pana pv500 and a pe50 when both have a component dvd input using progressive from the dvd, will there be any discernable difference in the picture quailty.

This is assuming that each has been calibrated.

Failing that when there be any real difference in PQ from your normal NTL STB. I'm just in 2 minds as to whether to jump on the buy a HD hardware bandwagon when I wont' have any HD sources. I dont' have SKY and hi-def / blue ray are a long way off. So all my sources will really be SD.
    Also gives me about 1000 to spend elsewhere
    :lease:

2. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Dont quote me on this but if you're watching a PAL feed on the PE50 then the feed will be scaled to the screen as PAL is 625 lines (only 576 are shown though) to a screen that is 480 lines so you wouldn't be getting the full detail, whereas on the PV500 those 576 lines are scaled to 720 lines, so you're getting the extra detail but the image is stretched, the same would probably apply for Sky and such, they both however have a fantastic picture and I doubt you'd see much if any difference, though I understand the PV500 is a little bit better for SD.

Dont quote me on that though, i've only just started getting in to all this so i'm probably way off.

If anyone more knowledgeful has an answer to this i'd like to know so at least i'll be understanding this too.