Any digi boxes support component or s-video?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by oreoboy13, Mar 25, 2002.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its so i can send everything through my amp to video switch.

Any help appreciated.

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ and the latest Grundig both support S-Video, these are the only two I know of.

DaveP

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and none of them have component video output

4. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thnxz looks like upgrade time :)

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba televisions have great audio passthrough. Why would you want to use the amp to do the switching?

6. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you elaborate?

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    connect up the items to the tosh using scart and then connect the 2x phono out from the tosh to the amp. This will handle all the analogue audio with no need for switching.

You still need to connect the digital audio up to the amp and switch these manually, but then that is where the RC5000 comes in handy. Just stick a macro on that sends a signal to the amp to switch when you press a dvd button or PS2 button etc.

My set-up as an example:

DVD > TV (component video)
    Digibox > TV (RGB scart)
    PS2 > digibox (using RGB scart)
    VCR > TV (scart 2)

TV > amp (2x phono)
    dvd > amp (optical)
    ps2 > amp (optical)

i only need to switch audio sources when using the ps2 or dvd but this is handled by my RC5000. If i press one button on the remote homepage, it will turn the dvd on and send a signal to the amp to switch to the digital source.

Advantage of the above is that i get RGB and component video on the sources (better than s-video) and no audio switching needed apart from 2 sources but i use the macros on the remote to make that easy. It is wife and children friendly too.

8. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry i dont mean to be a pain but i have a few queries,

I dont see why this is more convienent, by using the amp i dont have to keep changing channels on the TV. That is to say i leave it on EXT 4 (component chan) and then use the amp to switch all the Audio and Video. I could use the pronto but there are no Discrete codes for the AV channels.

You say by connecting the analouge sound to the TV i dont have to switch, but i only have 2 1) Tv 2) CD play back from the DVD as i use the ARcam DAC and so i need to switch the amp to pure direct mode anyway.

I see your diagram, but i dont think it is the best for me,
    i dont see why i would want to use RGB on the PS" when i can use Component, and then just get the amp to simultaneous switch the chann and audio for me without having to change the TV chann(see above).

Also how would i connect my X-Box

I think the way i will have it setup is more conveinent purely because they is no discrete codes for AV channels unless you know better.

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it suits you then its fine. I wasnt sure if you were using component or not.

If you were using s-video or composite instead of RGB or component then it would have been picture quality that you were sacrificing.

As you are not, then it isnt an issue