any difference between the sony 40L4000 and 40V4000??

osmangkobra

The only difference i can see is the V series has an extra hdmi socket. At richer sounds they have the L4000 for £599 and V4000 for £699 now erm there must be some catch here....an extra £100 for a hdmi port? hmm...what do you guys think.

Fmrl

I've just been playing Top Trumps on the Sonystyle website and they do seem to be very similar.

Apart from the third HDMI port, Dolby support, etc. the only major thing I did spot...

KDL40V4000 Weight TV only: 32Kg

KDL40L4000 Weight TV only: 18.5Kg

...so there must be something "extra" you get with the V that you don't get with the L - even if it's just an additional 13.5Kg of plastic covering :rolleyes:

The V is a "high performance" panel so maybe it's got a faster update?

osmangkobra

I've just been playing Top Trumps on the Sonystyle website and they do seem to be very similar.

Apart from the third HDMI port, Dolby support, etc. the only major thing I did spot...

KDL40V4000 Weight TV only: 32Kg

KDL40L4000 Weight TV only: 18.5Kg

...so there must be something "extra" you get with the V that you don't get with the L - even if it's just an additional 13.5Kg of plastic covering :rolleyes:

The V is a "high performance" panel so maybe it's got a faster update?

wow 13.5 kg!! hmmm..definitely somethimg fishy going on..

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
technically they are the same just different design

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
they are actually.I think the only difference might be the optical out on the V4000 but other than that they are the same

jpr141

they are actually.I think the only difference might be the optical out on the V4000 but other than that they are the same
Are you sure the L series has the be2 engine, as it's hard it seems to clarify this anywhere on the net.?

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
the 19/26/32L4000 dont but the 40L4000 has BE2

jpr141

ok thx guys for the replies, so do you think i should go for the L4000? or pay £100 for digital out, 1 hdmi and build quality.
Up to you mate. But personally i like to go for the more recognized widely available and reviewed models. By the way ive just noticed the 40v4000 for £618 at beyond television, but it's out of stock right now, but you could ring and ask when it's back in.

Last edited:

osmangkobra

Up to you mate. But personally i like to go for the more recognized widely available and reviewed models. By the way ive just noticed the 40v4000 for £618 at beyond television, but it's out of stock right now, but you could ring and ask when it's back in.

yeah your right thx, i'll probably go for the 40v4000. Just waiting till it reaches that £580-£600 mark!

Fmrl

Are you sure the L series has the be2 engine, as it's hard it seems to clarify this anywhere on the net.?

SonyStyle says that they both have BE2. I'm sure the "high performance panel" for the V4000 might have some relevance though, there's no mention of the response times anywhere (IMHO the V4000 is really good at this) so maybe the L is a bit sluggish... possibly built with a lower spec panel hence why it's a lot lighter. It's all guesswork though, I've never actually seen an L4000 in the flesh (local Sony shop doesn't stock it either).

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
they are exactly the same technically and I can quarantee 100%.Both use a high performance panel.the reason its cheaper is that its a promo model

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member

cpemma

Standard Member
the reason its cheaper is that its a promo model
The "L" series is more budget end than the "V" series, which is lower than the "W" series and so on. That's the Sony system. Nothing to do with promotions.

Sony UK doesn't list an "L" series but their "U" series (KDL40U4000) looks to be similar even down to the weight and thickness. From what I've seen, they're a matte black frame, the "V" frame is shiny (piano black).

Richer Sounds may show £100 difference, but normally the difference is much less. Pricerunner ranges the "L" from £590 up, the "V" from £640, £50 difference.

Last edited:

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
the thing is that technically 40L4000=40U4000=40S4000=40V4000 but the L4000 has 2 HDMI

McMav

on sony uk the main diffs appear to be swivel stand and piano black finish. BBE ViVa and Virtual dolby extra hdmi andoptical out on the V. the L is 1 cm wider

both weight the same 21.5KG with stand.

Since the V is back up to 799 it might be a valid alternative.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
The 40V runs 24p technology and a BBE speaker system as opposed to Nicam on the 40L - well thats what the Comet website says anyway :rolleyes:

the 40L4000 has 24p too

sonyboy08

Banned
trust me CHRISGEO is right and he knows what he's talking about they are both the same except the less hdmi the L doesn't look as good as the V but the rest are the same....kind of like the old 40D3500 and 40V3000 both the same tv's except styling and one less HDMI on the D3500

DJC013

Just seen the 40L4000 in my local Sainsburys at £599.99 ! :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon