Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Any Dell hardware Experts

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ketank, Jan 19, 2005.

1. ketank

ketank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If any one is a Dell expert can you help with the following? :lesson:

I have just bought a dell pc (5000 range) and notised that there hdd is not connected by the standard power and IDE cable so if i want to get i new one what do i get??

Also the ram is a DDR, i got a ddr ram a home but when i compare the 2 the cut on each ram are in different places (a coouple of centermiter away) so which one should i get???

Thanx

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it possibly a sata hard drive?
    have a google to get a picture of the connector etc.
    ive no idea about the ram though.
    is it a Pentium 4 system, ram may be RD memory.

3. ketank

ketank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes its a sata hhd, what the difference? the connector is small (05cm by 2cm)

the ram is both DDR acording to the stickers??
    Might just ring dell

But would be great if you can explain about the hdd....

Thanx

4. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sata are faster drives, thats about the only advantage i know of really. i cant give you the technical speeds etc as i dont know them :) , but im sure someone will be along shortly if you need them.

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,812
    The size of the cables used in PATA and SATA as well, play a major role in air flow inside the case.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    Dell have this great process of useing components in their PCs that can only be upgrade with other Dell components. Memory is one such component and therefor even if your old memory would physically fit, it would still not work. If you want to upgrade then there are other makers of memory that will sell Dell compatable memory cheaper than buying from Dell, but it will still be more expensive than generic memeory :mad:

Mark.

7. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dell use standard ram. The only issue I recall was on the old dimension range which used RAMBUS for a while - very expensive memory.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    Oh no they don't!

I update the memory on the PCs at work (all Dell Optiplex GX series) and we have to buy specific 'Dell compatable' memory which as you may guess is more expensive than standard RAM.

Mark.

9. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do I, on the models I have upgraded there hasnt been an issue. C-series, D-series, Optiplex, Dimensions, servers etc

Its not the GX200 is it? that needs rambus ram, its expensive.

10. ketank

ketank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank for your response,

so what do this all mean, if i want to get 1g of ddr ram for my dell in the future?

Also another issue my Hdd is 160G but windows only see's 146, i'm missing 14G..... thats abit too much ant it???
    What can i do for that? would format and reinstall solve this?

11. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, the easiest way to buy ram is crucial.com - you can even go through a selection process for your pc, so if Mark is right, you wont have an issue.

The disk looses quite a bit through formatting.

12. wemmington

wemmington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dell uses standerd ram. So if you're dell pc has ddr then ANY ddr will work. If its new it may have ddr2 (thats what my dell gen3 has) and if that is the case you will need to get ddr2 to upgrade. As far as the hard drive not being the right size that is not a dell issue that is almost all hard drive manufactures. Its because of the conversion-example my 80 gig reads 80015491072 bytes and 74.5 GB- so that sucks but is normal. If you need to find out what ram you have post back with model number or you can call my buddy-he owns a computer outlet that sells 90% dell products- his # is 850 234 2903 open 8-5 cst

13. wemmington

wemmington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way markE19 whoever told you that it has to be dell ram was mistaken. Keep in mind Dell doesnt make ANYTHING -all they do is buy parts in bulk from different manufactures put dell stickers on them and put them all together. Now sometimes parts are made by companies specifically for dell-like the motherboards but it still wasnt made by dell. The dell printers are mainly lexmark-and by the way if anyone has a dell printer u dont have to buy ink from dell, the lexmark is the same thing at about 1/2 the price. Any sony makes alot of the monitors and so on. And mark I wasnt tring to blast u but I think u were misinformed:)

14. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,812
    its because of the binary and decimal system

1mb=1000kB in decimal, but in binary, 1mb=1024kB

15. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    capacity, a 250gb disk formats at about 210gb for example - the overhead of the file structure plus its calculation.