Question Any decent TV guide and remote control apps?

mrsausages

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

A few years back I had quite a nice TV guide / remote control app on my IPad - you could set it to show a decent “now and next” EPG. Then you could click on a program you wanted to watch and it would switch my Samsung TV to that channel. However, I don’t recall the name, and I can’t find anything similar on the app store now.

Does anyone know if there is a similar app available now? I tried the Samsung “Smart Things” app, but there isn’t an EPG (there is this “Universal Guide” but it seems to be some kind of very unpleasant abomination designed purely to irritate people!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Why not just use the TV's guide?

Well, it being Freesat and only having one channel on the satellite dish, I cannot take advantage of a quiet bit in the program, or the adverts etc to take a look at what else might be available (you cannot see the current program in a small window with the sound still playing).

Also, it’s much more of a pain to scroll about the TV highlighting and clicking stuff you want to read more about; much nicer to do this on an ipad!

I don't know if this works with free sat, or with an 'Apple' product, but I have used Samsung's Smarthings to control my TV from my phone or tablet, android. They both must be on the same wifi to work..

I don't know if this works with free sat, or with an 'Apple' product, but I have used Samsung's Smarthings to control my TV from my phone or tablet, android. They both must be on the same wifi to work..

Thanks - indeed, yes, the SmartThings app does work on my iPad - unfortunately it doesn't seem to have an EPG, just this "Universal Guide" thing, which just seems to be a fairly crap list of stuff they are trying to get me to watch rather than an EPG for Freesat (although it shows a couple of programs from Freesat and if I click on it, it changes to that channel).

But it's possible I've missed something and it can be set to be a proper EPG?

I cannot believe how rubbish the SmartThings app is - Samsung like to tout themselves as Apple competitors frequently but apple would be crucified if they released anything this bad. Sadly as had to setup a mate's soundbar last month I've had to use it twice and I thought that software that poor had died decades ago....

Hehe, I did wonder what was going on: clearly this software was not intended to be the thing it has turned out to be!

My bet is some political infighting in the Samsung departments, perhaps they are trying to get rid of the person responsible for software, and have been carefully undermining them ;)

Well nobody should kid themselves that Apple are perfect, they are quite capable of equally making a pig's ear out of their software...

Well nobody should kid themselves that Apple are perfect, they are quite capable of equally making a pig's ear out of their software...

Absolutely. But then again I don't think I've seen any examples quite *that* horrific from them for a very long time!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom