1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any dates for new TiVo?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by jackuzi, Sep 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to get my hands on a TiVo, but there's that voice in the background saying 'you'll buy a second hand one for the shirt off your back and then a new shiny even better model will be released for not much more monies' :suicide:.

With that in mind, what's on the grapevine peeps?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Ther is NO plans for a new TiVo to be released in the UK. :( :rolleyes: :thumbsdow
    TiVo are said to be looking for a new manufacurer for a UK TiVo, but as yet they have not found one. If you do want a TiVo then get on ebay or the classifieds here and get a second hand one. It is your only option for the forseeable future. There might NEVER be a series 2 TiVo in the UK :mad:
    The good news is that now Sky have dropped the £10 Sky+ charge for many users, the Price of TiVo's is dropping as many Sky customers are upgrading to Sky+ and selling off their TiVo's :nono: .
    For all the gossip on TiVo go to the TiVo community forum at www.tivocommunity.com

Mark.

3. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply mate. Didn't realise it was so far away for happening. It really makes me wonder who these companies have got on their sales/research etc teams. Give me the bloody job and I'll get 'em listening...no hang on..move over Victor bloody Kiam I'll buy the company and it'll be TiVo's for all!! :clap:

Wh' the...damn, my wife woke me from my wonderful dream!! :rolleyes:

Time to go back to my cage!

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Oh well, I know exactly where you are coming from.
    TiVo UK marketing was a complete joke. I've had a TiVo since it's launch in October 2000 & love it, but can't see why it never took off, other than Joe Public not having a clue what it was or what it could do (now I was nieve enough to believe that that is what you advertise for :rolleyes: ).
    Still get a unit and you will never look back!

Mark.

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Having just got a TiVo I have to say I think it's totally worth the subs.

It's so much friendlier that Sky's offering and the fact you can add an extra hard drive (upt to 2 x 160gb!) and a network card is a real plus.:smashin:

The number of tools to FTP, EMail, Caller ID, Red Dot remove etc. etc. is overwhelming me right now and I'm doing LOTS of research.

I already love my TiVo! And I only had my first date with it this week.

Mark.

6. mclh

mclh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I read today that Tivo have signed an agreement with Sony and someone else (Toshiba?) to produce new units - anyone else see that?

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Old news I'm afraid. I believe those deals were signed many months ago and both companies are working on products, but unfortunately not for the UK, certainly not for the foreseeable future.

We can always hope though. A Sony TiVo would likely be a joy to behold :)

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    As Messiah said, this info has been on the TiVo community for a couple of months. I believe this is only for USA :mad:

Would be great, but at what cost? Thompson could not shift them at £400, so a Sony unit at £600 :devil: might be hard to shift. Well maybe not quite that much but I think most people will agree that Sony equipment does tend to be over priced.
    Still we can but dream about a Sony (or whatever) series 2 (or 3,4,5,6 :devil: ).

Mark.

9. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    AFAIK the deals were signed to use tivo technology in their own products ... so you'd buy a tv with a HD and a set of chips inside running Tivo software ... or maybe even a dvdr+hd combo with bult in tivo ...

You were able to buy different branded series 1 Tivo is in the US ... Phillips / Sony and others and there was/is the Direct Tv sat box with built in tivo ...

Jon